Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Muay Thai in Chiang Mai
ristohannah
post Jan 11 2010, 11:19 PM
Post #1

Wanderer

Group: Members
Member No.: 428151
Nominate me as a Local Expert

am thinking of doing a Muay Thai course in Chiang Mai - can anyone recommend any good training camps (for absolute beginners?!)
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
wakingdream
post Jan 17 2010, 04:12 PM
Post #2

Rolling Stone

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 13336

I've know I've heard about MT training in Chiang Mai but it's been so long.....

I have heard of a place that teaches Muay Thai Sangha in Chiang Mai and I believe this is the link for the school.

ancientmuaythai.com

It's not tooo bad...for a month it's B8,000. Didn't get a chance to sniff out any reviews.

Chay Yai is the other one I've read about and seems to get good reviews.

If you're looking for something alittle less commercial, the better thing to do is get there and suss it out. There are def places there that have no website but offer solid training. Not sure if you have that kind of time, but maybe you do. Good luck smile.gif

--------------------
~Susie

'Yesterday's the past and tomorrow's the future. Today is a gift - which is why they call it the present.'
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
ristohannah
post Jan 17 2010, 10:15 PM
Post #3

Wanderer

Member No.: 428151

QUOTE(wakingdream @ Jan 17 2010, 04:12 PM) *

I have heard of a place that teaches Muay Thai Sangha in Chiang Mai and I believe this is the link for the school.

ancientmuaythai.com

It's not tooo bad...for a month it's B8,000. Didn't get a chance to sniff out any reviews.

If you're looking for something alittle less commercial, the better thing to do is get there and suss it out. There are def places there that have no website but offer solid training. Not sure if you have that kind of time, but maybe you do. Good luck smile.gif

many thanks for this - will check them out and also wait to see what we find when we get there as you suggest!
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
wakingdream
post Jan 18 2010, 04:14 PM
Post #4

Rolling Stone

QUOTE(ristohannah @ Jan 17 2010, 10:15 PM) *

QUOTE(wakingdream @ Jan 17 2010, 04:12 PM) *

ancientmuaythai.com

many thanks for this - will check them out and also wait to see what we find when we get there as you suggest!

Excellent. Glad to hear that helped a bit. Have a fantastic time and good luck finding the right training smile.gif

--------------------
~Susie

'Yesterday's the past and tomorrow's the future. Today is a gift - which is why they call it the present.'
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
okumra
post Mar 14 2010, 08:49 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 837191

hello there
I live in Northern Thailand and study since 5 month now Muay Thai in Thai Muay Thai Gym.
It's the best thing I have ever done even sometimes it really hurts.
The training gives me balance and power. No student is left alone like in many of the bigger gyms. They train you if you want to fight but also if you want to do it for other reasons.
Training is every day available.
I started it out of curiosity and just stayed.
The gym where I practice is small and not overcrowded.
After the training we often eat together and when one of the boxers is fighting the whole team joins for support. Last new years eve we went all together to Chiang Rai for a match.
Try the website: www.lexthaiboxing.com
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
wakingdream
post Mar 16 2010, 10:18 AM
Post #6

Rolling Stone

QUOTE(okumra @ Mar 14 2010, 08:49 AM) *

hello there
I live in Northern Thailand and study since 5 month now Muay Thai in Thai Muay Thai Gym.
The training gives me balance and power. No student is left alone like in many of the bigger gyms. They train you if you want to fight but also if you want to do it for other reasons.
After the training we often eat together and when one of the boxers is fighting the whole team joins for support. Last new years eve we went all together to Chiang Rai for a match.

That sounds like a good experience. Is there a set time for the training or do you stay as long as you feel you need to? is it costly or reasonably priced for the training?

--------------------
~Susie

User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
okumra
post Mar 17 2010, 05:58 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 837191

QUOTE(wakingdream @ Mar 16 2010, 10:18 AM) *

QUOTE(okumra @ Mar 14 2010, 08:49 AM) *

hello there

That sounds like a good experience. Is there a set time for the training or do you stay as long as you feel you need to? is it costly or reasonably priced for the training?

There is no time frame it's complete up to you how much time you have and how you can cope with the training.
Some students come once per day, some like me 2 times.
The price for one unit (2-3 hours) is 400 Baht
For one week 2000 Baht (you can can one or 2 times per day) and for one month 7000 Baht (you can train even 2 times 7 days per week if you feel up to it.
For accomodation there are cheap rooms (2000 Baht/ month) and of course more price;ly for the big hotels. Food is cheap (great Thai food) and often we eat together after the training.
Hope this helps you
otherwise feel free to write to me any time
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th July 2014 - 04:12 PM
Top Hotel Destinations in Thailand

Ayutthaya Hotels
Bangkok Hotels
Cha-am Hotels
Chaweng Hotels
Chiang Mai Hotels
Chiang Rai Hotels
Chon Buri Hotels
Hat Yai Hotels
Hua Hin Hotels
Kanchanaburi Hotels
Kathu Hotels
Khao Lak Hotels
Khon Kaen Hotels
Ko Lanta Hotels
Ko Phangan Hotels
Ko Phi Phi Don Hotels
Ko Tao Hotels
Krabi Hotels
Lampang Hotels
Loei Hotels
Mae Hong Son Hotels
Nakorn Ratchasima Hotels
Nakorn Si Thammarat Hotels
Narathiwat Hotels
Nonthaburi Hotels
Pai Hotels
Patong Hotels
Pattaya Hotels
Phangnga Hotels
Phetchaburi Hotels
Phitsanulok Hotels
Rawai Hotels
Rayong Hotels
Songkhla Hotels
Sukhothai Hotels
Surat Thani Hotels
Tak Hotels
Trang Hotels
Trat Hotels
Udon Thani Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.