Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Route Advice please!!!
derv
post Jan 29 2008, 06:32 AM
Post #1

Wanderer

Group: Members
Member No.: 106977
Nominate me as a Local Expert

Hi all

My friend and I are going to South America in May, we are flying into Sao Paulo and would like to spend a few days in Rio. We are planning on heading up to Campo Grande to visit the Pantanal and going to Bolivia from there. Just want some advice because we want to go to Igazu falls and I didn’t know if it was a better option to go Sao Paulo – Rio – Sao Paulo – Igazu – Campo Grande or to go to Igazu when we are in Buenos Aires/Argentina a few months later? unsure.gif

Also is it easy to get to Campo Grande from Igazu and/or Rio?

Any help would be very much appreciated!! speak_cool.gif

Thanks
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
mmbcross
post Jan 29 2008, 01:14 PM
Post #2

Tripper

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 2195

QUOTE(derv @ Jan 29 2008, 06:32 AM) *

Hi all

My friend and I are going to South America in May, we are flying into Sao Paulo and would like to spend a few days in Rio. We are planning on heading up to Campo Grande to visit the Pantanal and going to Bolivia from there. Just want some advice because we want to go to Igazu falls and I didn’t know if it was a better option to go Sao Paulo – Rio – Sao Paulo – Igazu – Campo Grande or to go to Igazu when we are in Buenos Aires/Argentina a few months later? unsure.gif

Also is it easy to get to Campo Grande from Igazu and/or Rio?

Any help would be very much appreciated!! speak_cool.gif

Thanks

Hi,
At first glance, and as you didn't advise if you were flying or bussing around, I would save the Iguassu visit to your stay in B.A. as I don't see any direct flights from Foz de Igucu to Campo Grande, only via Sao Paulo, so you would have to do a round trip SAO-IGU-SAO. In this case it's six of one, half a dozen of the other. You can take a flight from the downtown airport in B.A. and stay on the Argentine side. If you do this, make sure you cross over to the Brazilian side as the views are better there, though you can walk in boardwalks right over the falls on the Argentine side. If you are a U.S. citizen, make sure you get a multiple entry visa for Brazil. If you are bussing, and have lots of spare time, then visit Iguacu while in Brazil. It will take half a lifetime to get there from Sao Paulo by bus, and the other half of your life to get from there to Campo Grande. Are you going to take "O Trem da Morte" from Cuiaba to Santa Cruz? Tha Pantanal is amazing.
Enjoy
Martin

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
derv
post Feb 4 2008, 09:18 AM
Post #3

Wanderer

Thanks Martin!

We are planning on bussing it around keeping the costs down, and not really in any major rush, we have 16 weeks in Sth America in total and are planning a loop sort of up to Brazil, across Bolivia, down Peru, Nth Chile over to BA and back across to Santiago via Puerto Madryn and Barlioche time permitting, we are more into getting to see Bolivia Peru BA etc than the rest so if time runs out we will be just legging it to Santiago...

Where were you looking at the flights if you don't mind me asking? we have to get some form of onward ticket out of Brazil before we leave as our ticket leaving Sth America is more than 90 days from when we get in...

Ye I am really looking forward to the Pantanal myself... I presume you have been there judging from your comment, did you go from Campo Grande? Ye going to take the train! Should be fun!!

Thanks again for your advice!!
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
mmbcross
post Feb 4 2008, 03:38 PM
Post #4

Tripper

QUOTE(derv @ Feb 4 2008, 09:18 AM) *

Thanks Martin!

We are planning on bussing it around keeping the costs down, and not really in any major rush, we have 16 weeks in Sth America in total and are planning a loop sort of up to Brazil, across Bolivia, down Peru, Nth Chile over to BA and back across to Santiago via Puerto Madryn and Barlioche time permitting, we are more into getting to see Bolivia Peru BA etc than the rest so if time runs out we will be just legging it to Santiago...

Where were you looking at the flights if you don't mind me asking? we have to get some form of onward ticket out of Brazil before we leave as our ticket leaving Sth America is more than 90 days from when we get in...

Ye I am really looking forward to the Pantanal myself... I presume you have been there judging from your comment, did you go from Campo Grande? Ye going to take the train! Should be fun!!

Thanks again for your advice!!

Hi,

Thanks for getting back. If you have the time, then bus into Foz do Iguacu from Sao Paulo, but be sure to stop off in Curitiba. I don't know if it still operates, but the passenger train through the mountains to the coast at Paranagua is spectacular. There should be a bus from Foz do Iguacu to Campo Grande. According to a Lonely Planet blog, Expreso Medianeira, Eucatur and Helios bus companies run on this route. This trip takes 14 hours and costs about 40.00 US$. Here is Ecuatur's website (in Portuguese). http://www.eucatur.com.br/

Nevertheless I saw another blog recommending you go straight from Foz to Curumba (that's where O Trem da Morte starts from, not Cuiaba as I stated earlier). Corumba is on the edge of the Pantanal. It stated:
Corumbà is one of the best places to enter the Pantanal. All good places are situated along the old road from Corumbà to Miranda. "Passo do Lontra" is another good place for making trips in the Pantanal; In Corumbà city centre, you will find a lot of companies who make trips in the Pantanal. Discuss very well what is included and what not.

In the end, you will have to do lots of research if its better from Campo Grande or Corumba. I entered the Pantanal from Cuiaba and stayed in Porto Jofre, which is well off your route.

Here's the Bolivian railway site in Spanish (Doesn't include Corumba-Sta. Cruz line)
http://www.fca.com.bo/servicios.htm

Times may have changed, but the transandine train from Antofagasta to Salta must be one of the world's great train rides. Regrettably, according to Wikipedia, the line is presently closed. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tren_de_las_Nubes.

I'm not sure why you need an exit ticket from Brasil, but here is the website I accessed:
http://www.us.despegar.com/paginas/vuelos/busquedavuelos.asp

Hope this helps a bit.
Cheers

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
chasingbohemia
post Feb 4 2008, 07:32 PM
Post #5

Wanderer

Member No.: 134911

this is such a half-assed response, and i'm sorry for that, but igazzu is apparently definitely better from one side than the other... but i don't remember which, I think it was from the argentinian side... last time i went, it was rio to sao paulo to buenos aires but we're so stupid and didn't have time for iguzzu sad.gif
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
derv
post Feb 11 2008, 12:09 PM
Post #6

Wanderer

Wow thanks for all that info!! will really have to see if Corumba is better, I presume (in my innocence) that the same types of trips will be offered from there....

Thanks for all the links and stuff I will have to get onto babelfish and translate the portugese site.

I will check into that train also, I remember seeing it in my lonely planet but at the time we were planning on doing Igazu when we are in Argentina but thats changing now!!

Thanks for all your help!

D.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
mmbcross
post Feb 11 2008, 02:52 PM
Post #7

Tripper

QUOTE(chasingbohemia @ Feb 4 2008, 07:32 PM) *

this is such a half-assed response, and i'm sorry for that, but igazzu is apparently definitely better from one side than the other... but i don't remember which, I think it was from the argentinian side... last time i went, it was rio to sao paulo to buenos aires but we're so stupid and didn't have time for iguzzu sad.gif

Hi ChasingBohemia,

Shame on you for missing Iguassu! FYI the views of the whole falls are better from the Brazilian side, but there is an intricate system of boardwalks on the Argentine side that brings you up close and personal to the raging water, where you can actually overlook the lip.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
mmbcross
post Jul 19 2008, 08:21 AM
Post #8

Tripper

Hi Tibets,

Which website are you referring to? As this is a Brazil forum, you may be in the wrong place.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
kiwi_surfer
post Apr 15 2009, 10:03 PM
Post #9

Nomad

Member No.: 274279

just a quick one, can some explain to me, what Pantana is exactly? looks like some sort of wild animal zoo thingy??

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
big_red_truck
post Apr 17 2009, 12:38 PM
Post #10

Pathfinder

From: In the process of moving, but Currently in...Huntsville, AL
Member No.: 97423

QUOTE(kiwi_surfer @ Apr 15 2009, 11:03 PM) *

just a quick one, can some explain to me, what Pantana is exactly? looks like some sort of wild animal zoo thingy??

I think you mean the Pantanal? Wikipedia can explain much quicker than I can...

--------------------
Currently traveling the world for work...with a few extra fiddleybits thrown in to keep it new...it's the cheapest way to go!!!

Quote from my friend Chuck, who spent 5 months riding his bicycle all the way around the USA - "Nobody says you have to order an entree in the restaurant of life, you'll only be here once! Order the sampler, try as many as you can before you're full; odds are one (of) the items on this menu does more for you than you ever thought. And if I'm wrong, tell the waiter that his menu sucks, throw the cook aside and invent your own masterpiece. Just pour 'em all in, all your favorite ingredients. With enough imagination, any combination will work -- there are no recipes for the paths still awaiting discovery."

Most current Travelogue - Click Here

My Travelogues - Click Here

Our Couchsurfing profile
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
ickg
post Sep 2 2010, 06:46 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 225670

The best way is Cuiabá, Poconé and Barão de Melgaço in Mato Grosso.
Transpantaneira is a route inside the Pantanal where you can see all kinds of birds and animal really close.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 31st July 2014 - 04:45 AM
Top Hotel Destinations in Brazil

Angra Dos Reis Hotels
Aracaju Hotels
Arraial d'Ajuda Hotels
Balneario Camboriu Hotels
Barueri Hotels
Belem Hotels
Belo Horizonte Hotels
Brasilia Hotels
Buzios Hotels
Campinas Hotels
Campo Grande Hotels
Curitiba Hotels
Florianopolis Hotels
Fortaleza Hotels
Foz de Iguacu Hotels
Goiania Hotels
Guaruja Hotels
Guarulhos Hotels
Jericoacoara Hotels
Joao Pessoa Hotels
Joinville Hotels
Londrina Hotels
Macae Hotels
Maceio Hotels
Manaus Hotels
Morro de Sao Paulo Hotels
Natal Hotels
Paraty Hotels
Porto Alegre Hotels
Porto Seguro Hotels
Porto de Galinhas Hotels
Praia do Forte Hotels
Recife Hotels
Ribeirao Preto Hotels
Rio de Janeiro Hotels
Salvador Hotels
Sao Jose Dos Campos Hotels
Sao Paulo Hotels
Trancoso Hotels
Vitoria Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.