Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Walk to your destination; but never travel by Alitalia, Alitalia
hoda
post Jan 28 2008, 05:52 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 133586

If I was ever asked to recommend Alitalia airline for somebody; my response would be walking to your destination is much better than flying by Alitalia!

I am not sure from where to start; for sure using your airline was the worst decision I have ever made in my travel time. To make sure of the accuracy of my complaint; please be my guest and try the horrible service and rude crew members that don't know the basics of hospitality.

- At Dubai Airport I was stopped for half hour because Alitalia ticketing agent did not have a clue that Iceland is one of Schengen countries; and by having Iceland resident ship there is no need to get an extra visa to Italy as I had to get Alitalia second connection to Denmark from Milan. The agent, who looked Pilipino, consulted the other agent, who was very rude, and he was Pakistani, and they both didn't have a clue about visa issues. I had to wait for half hour, until they managed to contact the European counselor who confirmed the fact that Iceland is in Schengen and thus no need for additional visa to Italy!

The irony is that I showed them my ticket and told them I traveled through the same route when I was coming to Dubai; i.e. Denmark, Milan, Dubai; and I didn't need any visa to enter Italy. But, I was talking to deaf people who have zero knowledge in Geography and European countries.

- On the Plane, I asked the airhostess to help me with my hand bag and coat to place them in one the upper cabins; guess what was her response?! She said: you find a place and put it by yourself. I have traveled by many airlines; this was the first time that I came across such ignorant and rude attitude. If the airhostess is not there to help the passengers, then what is the reason for recruiting her? If we pay for our tickets, and we are expected somehow to manage our trip; then it would be better to get rid of Alitalia crewmembers as they have no job description and recruiting them would be nothing but waste of money. We passengers can do the job better.

-After serving the light breakfast (Biscuits & Coffee), I asked the airhostess for more coffee. She said okay but never showed up again. I had to wait for 20 minutes until I realized that she is not going to come back with my coffee, so I searched for another airhostess and requested to have, if it is possible and not much hassle for her majesty, to have one cup of coffee!

- At Lunch, I needed water, I was suffocating, I kept ringing the bell for half hour but believe it or not, none of the crewmembers showed up. I had to wait and wait until finally was the time for serving coffee to ask for my water!

My advice is: Walk to your destination; but never travel by Alitalia.
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
mmbcross
post Jan 28 2008, 07:12 PM
Post #2

Tripper

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 2195

It's absolutely unbelievable the pain and suffering you must have gone through on our recent Alitalia flight, especially having to place your own hand luggage in the overhead bins. If it had been a U.S. airline you may at least have been able to sue them for the atrocious service.
Martin

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
kitkatgo
post Apr 17 2008, 02:21 PM
Post #3

Navigator

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 13816

I was just in Italy...Italian colleagues we talked to there joked often about how bad Alitalia is. From everything they said, it really is a horrible airline.

Sorry you had such a bad time of it.

--------------------
~Kit
California Local Expert

Visit my travel blogs:
http://www.travelpod.com/members/kitkatgo
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
terro
post Jun 28 2008, 03:34 PM
Post #4

Group: Members
Member No.: 204785

Just a small thing; people at the check-in simply can not know everything, especially entry regulations for 'smaller' countries; do you know the visa regulations for Swazi citizen travelling from Reykjavik via Frankfurt and Jburg to Manzini?

As for the flight attendants; of course they must be friendly, buy the are NOT personal luggage carriers for you. Imagine a, lte's say ''fragile Asian'' crew member trying to put your carry-on bag, weight maybe 12 kg, into the overheadbin .. I would be ashamed; would never even ask such a thing. Certainly not from a female crew member.

User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2014 - 09:37 PM
Top Hotel Destinations

Acapulco Hotels
Atlanta Hotels
Austin Hotels
Beijing Hotels
Cancun Hotels
Charlotte Hotels
Chicago Hotels
Dallas Hotels
Denver Hotels
Honolulu Hotels
Houston Hotels
Indianapolis Hotels
Kissimmee Hotels
Las Vegas Hotels
London Hotels
Los Angeles Hotels
Mexico City Hotels
Miami Hotels
Miami Beach Hotels
Montreal Hotels
Myrtle Beach Hotels
Nashville Hotels
Negril Hotels
New Orleans Hotels
New York City Hotels
Orlando Hotels
Paris Hotels
Phoenix Hotels
Playa del Carmen Hotels
Puerto Plata Hotels
Puerto Vallarta Hotels
Punta Cana Hotels
Rome Hotels
San Antonio Hotels
San Diego Hotels
San Francisco Hotels
Seattle Hotels
Tampa Hotels
Toronto Hotels
Washington DC Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.