Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Easter in Cyprus
mothman
post Jan 10 2010, 06:10 AM
Post #1

Drifter

Group: Members
Member No.: 395

Firstly many thanks to 'GreekCypriot' for all the useful stuff on here - much more useful than wikitravel and LP.

My girlfriend and I are thinking of flying to Larnaca for 4 nights at Easter. (01/04/10 - 05/04/10). I have had a look around and note that Protestant/Catholic Easter is the same time as Greek Orthodox Easter this year, and that this is the main religious festival in Cyprus. Also I think Cypiot national day is in this period, and I read that shops close half day on Saturday... So I am a bit concerned that if we go at this time of year, most of the sights will be closed and we will be trapped in our hotel which would be a shame..

I don't really fancy renting a car as I am a rubbish driver - so would rely on buses / shared taxis which I hear are not that frequent at the best of times..

On a side note, what kind of weather should we expect in early April? In early November in Malta I was in shorts and T-shirt and went swimming one day, I am hoping for a similar sort of thing in Cyprus (early 20s by day??)

We would probably base ourselves in Larnaca - and ideally like to see the sights in town (as per GreekCypriots blog!), Nicosia, Limassol and perhaps Ayia Napa. Is it possible to get back from Ayia Napa using public transport? How much would a taxi cost approximately?

Any idea as to how the trip may be affected by Easter would be much appreciated. Cheers!
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
greekcypriot
post Jan 25 2010, 03:40 PM
Post #2

Rolling Stone

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 273790

QUOTE(mothman @ Jan 10 2010, 06:10 AM) *

Firstly many thanks to 'GreekCypriot' for all the useful stuff on here - much more useful than wikitravel and LP.

My girlfriend and I are thinking of flying to Larnaca for 4 nights at Easter. (01/04/10 - 05/04/10). I have had a look around and note that Protestant/Catholic Easter is the same time as Greek Orthodox Easter this year, and that this is the main religious festival in Cyprus. Also I think Cypiot national day is in this period, and I read that shops close half day on Saturday... So I am a bit concerned that if we go at this time of year, most of the sights will be closed and we will be trapped in our hotel which would be a shame..

I don't really fancy renting a car as I am a rubbish driver - so would rely on buses / shared taxis which I hear are not that frequent at the best of times..

On a side note, what kind of weather should we expect in early April? In early November in Malta I was in shorts and T-shirt and went swimming one day, I am hoping for a similar sort of thing in Cyprus (early 20s by day??)

We would probably base ourselves in Larnaca - and ideally like to see the sights in town (as per GreekCypriots blog!), Nicosia, Limassol and perhaps Ayia Napa. Is it possible to get back from Ayia Napa using public transport? How much would a taxi cost approximately?

Any idea as to how the trip may be affected by Easter would be much appreciated. Cheers!

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Sorry for the delay in answering:
Well, I know that there is both a Protestant and a Catholic Church in Larnaca.
The one is just opposite the American Academy I have in my blog, and there is a photo of it as well.
The other one is also quite near.
Yes, the week you mention, - 1st of April till 5th is the Holy Easter week for Greeks, and shops will probably be open on Thursday, but I am sure on Friday shops will be closed in the afternoon. The 4th is the Holy Easter Day and everyone is celebrating having lamp on the spit. If it is a beautiful sunny day Cypriots go out in the fields, or get down the beach.
I believe the climate will be fine. I usually start swimming the last days of April, but I believe that you better take along your swimming suits because I am sure you will be down the beach that day.

Saturday is always a half day in Cyprus, so don't count on it.
I am flying to Cyprus the end of February and I will be there for 5 days, so I will check out and let you know about sight seeings that might be closed.
I will surely have more entries with interesting photos, but feel free to ask me anything you need.

I have an entry on taxis as well, so read that carefully before you go there, and read the tips I have included.

There is a coach leaving from Larnaca -Phinikoudes Avenue, and you can visit both Protaras and Agia Napa. The trouble is that you have to be back to Larnaca by 4pm.
When I go this time, I will try to find the timetable of these buses. Of course these timetable hours change depending on the season. I will also ask and find out the cost of taxis from Larnaca to Agia Napa, but I know for sure that the cost of taking public transport is not more than 5 euros. However, I will know the exact cost by March when I will be back.

Your last sentence....how the trip might be affected because of the Easter celebrations, - well it will be affected. And it is pity! You have chosen 4 odd days! I am so sorry indeed.

Stay in touch, and e mail me if you need anything else.
Hope this information will help you.
Popi

--------------------
My LATEST BLOGS: Marmari, Vasa, and CYPRUS, the Unique Destination for Business and Holidays!!!

The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page. ~St. Augustine
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
mothman
post Feb 28 2010, 11:33 AM
Post #3

Drifter

Hi, Thanks for the reply - due to the issues with going at Easter, we decided to give Cyprus a miss this year - but hope to go in the future. Lets hope the weather in UK is fine this Easter!!
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
greekcypriot
post Mar 31 2010, 10:05 AM
Post #4

Rolling Stone

It's pity that you missed Cyprus this Easter. I have heard of snow in Great Britain.
Happy Easter
Popi

--------------------
My LATEST BLOGS: Marmari, Vasa, and CYPRUS, the Unique Destination for Business and Holidays!!!

The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page. ~St. Augustine
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
janparker57
post Jan 1 2012, 07:21 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 2547733

Easter in Cyprus continued
We want to go somewhere for Easter celebrations this April 2012. Any advice?
Jan

QUOTE(greekcypriot @ Jan 25 2010, 03:40 PM) *

QUOTE(mothman @ Jan 10 2010, 06:10 AM) *

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Sorry for the delay in answering:
Well, I know that there is both a Protestant and a Catholic Church in Larnaca.
The one is just opposite the American Academy I have in my blog, and there is a photo of it as well.
The other one is also quite near.
Yes, the week you mention, - 1st of April till 5th is the Holy Easter week for Greeks, and shops will probably be open on Thursday, but I am sure on Friday shops will be closed in the afternoon. The 4th is the Holy Easter Day and everyone is celebrating having lamp on the spit. If it is a beautiful sunny day Cypriots go out in the fields, or get down the beach.
I believe the climate will be fine. I usually start swimming the last days of April, but I believe that you better take along your swimming suits because I am sure you will be down the beach that day.

Saturday is always a half day in Cyprus, so don't count on it.
I am flying to Cyprus the end of February and I will be there for 5 days, so I will check out and let you know about sight seeings that might be closed.
I will surely have more entries with interesting photos, but feel free to ask me anything you need.

I have an entry on taxis as well, so read that carefully before you go there, and read the tips I have included.

There is a coach leaving from Larnaca -Phinikoudes Avenue, and you can visit both Protaras and Agia Napa. The trouble is that you have to be back to Larnaca by 4pm.
When I go this time, I will try to find the timetable of these buses. Of course these timetable hours change depending on the season. I will also ask and find out the cost of taxis from Larnaca to Agia Napa, but I know for sure that the cost of taking public transport is not more than 5 euros. However, I will know the exact cost by March when I will be back.

Your last sentence....how the trip might be affected because of the Easter celebrations, - well it will be affected. And it is pity! You have chosen 4 odd days! I am so sorry indeed.

Stay in touch, and e mail me if you need anything else.
Hope this information will help you.
Popi

User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
greekcypriot
post Jan 1 2012, 02:23 PM
Post #6

Rolling Stone

Jan

Jan hi and Happy New Year 2012!
What a bright idea to fly to Cyprus.
In order to help you I need some more info for instance how many days you are planning to stay in Cyprus, and what your interests are.
Is this your first time to the island or you have been there again?
Are you on a budget, have you booked a hotel, where do you plan to stay....meaning in what city?
All this info will help me give you many tips for a sucessful and unforgettable trip.

--------------------

User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
janparker57
post Jan 1 2012, 02:32 PM
Post #7

QUOTE(greekcypriot @ Jan 1 2012, 02:23 PM) *

Jan

Jan hi and Happy New Year 2012!
What a bright idea to fly to Cyprus.
In order to help you I need some more info for instance how many days you are planning to stay in Cyprus, and what your interests are.
Is this your first time to the island or you have been there again?
Are you on a budget, have you booked a hotel, where do you plan to stay....meaning in what city?
All this info will help me give you many tips for a sucessful and unforgettable trip.

I'm somewhat Greek speaking (I teach ancient and a little modern Greek drama) and was an archaeologist so I've worked and holidayed many weeks a year in mainland Greece, Santorini/Fira and Crete for years. BUT NEVER CYPRUS! We're coming for 2 weeks over Easter - 8th- 22nd April and thinking of basing ourselves cheaply in Pafos and exploring the Troodhos and the Akamas peninsula on day trips or the odd overnight for most of the holiday and having a few days in Nicosia at some point. But, we really want to strike out and stay somewhere for Easter itself, having regularly been part of Athenian celebrations with friends...
Any advice very gratefully received!
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
greekcypriot
post Jan 2 2012, 01:51 AM
Post #8

Rolling Stone

I am trying to answer since last night, and this is actually a test here.
I will try to get in touch directly through your profile.
I attempted 4 times and when I tried to send I lost the whole message.
Let's see if it is fixed shortly!

--------------------

User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
greekcypriot
post Jan 2 2012, 02:15 AM
Post #9

Rolling Stone

Dear Janparker
I attempted 4 times to send you an answer and this is actually the 5th attempt.

Well, you amazed me…are you Greek?
Anyway, I believe since you will be in Cyprus during the Easter Holidays you should not miss visiting Kykkos Monastery. It is the perfect place for the Easter spirit.
You can spend one or two nights at the Monastery if you wish, but you have to get in touch with the monks there.
Another alternative is to stay at Kalopanayiotis AgroHotel. The owners are relatives of the abbot or prior priest there and they will surely take you out there. They will be more than glad to do so…besides they will go out there themselves that day.
http://blog.travelpod.com/travel-blog-entr...14145/tpod.html

You can read all the entries of that trip to the Troodos range. They were excellent hosts and wanted to show me everything. The entries of that trip I had are very interesting including many beautiful photos as well.

Another alternative is to visit Agios Neofitos Monastery –outskirts of Paphos, or spend one or two nights at KatoDrys and ask the family to take you to Macheras monastery. I believe they will also go out there for Easter.
http://blog.travelpod.com/travel-blog-entr...91246/tpod.html
(Read the other entries to get the whole idea)

Now if you want to walk the Akamas trail I recommend that your starting point would be the Aphrodite beach hotel. It is a budget family run hotel I highly recommend. The hospitality is authentic Cypriot and you will love it there.

Don’t miss visiting Platres. You can go to Platres or the peak of the Troodos Mountain with just 2 euro.
http://blog.travelpod.com/travel-blog-entr...14041/tpod.html

http://blog.travelpod.com/travel-blog-entr...28070/tpod.html

Buses in Cyprus these days!
http://blog.travelpod.com/travel-blog-entr...24251/tpod.html

In case you need further help, feel free to get in touch with me again.

--------------------

User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
janparker57
post Jan 2 2012, 04:20 AM
Post #10

QUOTE(greekcypriot @ Jan 2 2012, 02:15 AM) *

Dear Janparker
I attempted 4 times to send you an answer and this is actually the 5th attempt.

Well, you amazed me…are you Greek?
Anyway, I believe since you will be in Cyprus during the Easter Holidays you should not miss visiting Kykkos Monastery. It is the perfect place for the Easter spirit.
You can spend one or two nights at the Monastery if you wish, but you have to get in touch with the monks there.
Another alternative is to stay at Kalopanayiotis AgroHotel. The owners are relatives of the abbot or prior priest there and they will surely take you out there. They will be more than glad to do so…besides they will go out there themselves that day.
http://blog.travelpod.com/travel-blog-entr...14145/tpod.html

You can read all the entries of that trip to the Troodos range. They were excellent hosts and wanted to show me everything. The entries of that trip I had are very interesting including many beautiful photos as well.

Another alternative is to visit Agios Neofitos Monastery –outskirts of Paphos, or spend one or two nights at KatoDrys and ask the family to take you to Macheras monastery. I believe they will also go out there for Easter.
http://blog.travelpod.com/travel-blog-entr...91246/tpod.html
(Read the other entries to get the whole idea)

Now if you want to walk the Akamas trail I recommend that your starting point would be the Aphrodite beach hotel. It is a budget family run hotel I highly recommend. The hospitality is authentic Cypriot and you will love it there.

Don’t miss visiting Platres. You can go to Platres or the peak of the Troodos Mountain with just 2 euro.
http://blog.travelpod.com/travel-blog-entr...14041/tpod.html

http://blog.travelpod.com/travel-blog-entr...28070/tpod.html

Buses in Cyprus these days!
http://blog.travelpod.com/travel-blog-entr...24251/tpod.html

In case you need further help, feel free to get in touch with me again.

I can't thank you enough!!! No, I'm not Greek, I'm English but fell in love with all things Greek when a teenager and studied and now teach Ancient and contemporary Greek performance. And although I've always been fascinated by Cyprus I have never managed enough time away to get to know it so...this is our 30th wedding anniversary celebration!
Sorry about the technical hitches but I'll subscribe, read all your entries - long experience of Greek church [non] opening times means I'll be particularly keen on where you found the key to Troodos churches - and follow your suggestions to the letter!
And post here the results!
Καλή χρονιά!
Filakia,
Jan

User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
mothman
post Jan 2 2012, 06:45 AM
Post #11

Drifter

Hi,

Something to bear in mind if the poster is unaware is that I think Cypriot/Orthodox Easter is different to Catholic/Protestant Easter in 2012, I have finally booked my Cyprus trip for June 2012! Can´t wait!
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
greekcypriot
post Jan 2 2012, 07:12 AM
Post #12

Rolling Stone

Yes, thank you mothman, the Orthodox Easter is on April the 15th.
On the 16th everything is closed as well. It would be a good idea to be with friends or relatives that day, or in an Agro Hotel where you will feel the Cypriot Hospitality out there for sure.
I can't wait to fly to Cyprus myself to be honest.
I am only trying to find cheaper tickets….I found with the Aegean for 165 euro two way but still think it is too much.

--------------------

User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th July 2014 - 09:21 AM
Top Hotel Destinations

Acapulco Hotels
Atlanta Hotels
Austin Hotels
Beijing Hotels
Cancun Hotels
Charlotte Hotels
Chicago Hotels
Dallas Hotels
Denver Hotels
Honolulu Hotels
Houston Hotels
Indianapolis Hotels
Kissimmee Hotels
Las Vegas Hotels
London Hotels
Los Angeles Hotels
Mexico City Hotels
Miami Hotels
Miami Beach Hotels
Montreal Hotels
Myrtle Beach Hotels
Nashville Hotels
Negril Hotels
New Orleans Hotels
New York City Hotels
Orlando Hotels
Paris Hotels
Phoenix Hotels
Playa del Carmen Hotels
Puerto Plata Hotels
Puerto Vallarta Hotels
Punta Cana Hotels
Rome Hotels
San Antonio Hotels
San Diego Hotels
San Francisco Hotels
Seattle Hotels
Tampa Hotels
Toronto Hotels
Washington DC Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.