Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Zero-Carbon City in Abu Dhabi
wakingdream
post Jan 24 2008, 08:26 PM
Post #1

Rolling Stone

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 13336

With my ongoing fascination of the incredible growth in UAE, here's another unique development scheduled for construction in Abu Dhabi, the largest of all the emirates.

The Green City called Masdar City, planned to;

Shelter 47,500 people

Zero pollution rate

Zero waste.

The city will be powered by a 'solar-photovoltaic power plant' and have no cars, only an electric railway system. people will be moving in come 2009 but the project will be finalized in ten years.

Wowsa! UAE is coming up with some pretty incredible stuff. Again.

What do you guys think?

Abu Dhabi to build world's first zero-carbon city

--------------------
~Susie

'Yesterday's the past and tomorrow's the future. Today is a gift - which is why they call it the present.'
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
starlagurl
post Jan 25 2008, 11:49 AM
Post #2

Rolling Stone

Member No.: 103914

Wow, I guess it just shows what you can do with money... I find it very encouraging that the city is only 6 km square. I'm just wondering who will live there? Only rich people? Will it be diverse ethnically? Did they have to bulldoze an old city to put this one up, or is it contributing to sprawl? So many questions, so very few answers in this article...

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
wakingdream
post Jan 25 2008, 05:13 PM
Post #3

Rolling Stone

Member No.: 13336

Not really sure about many of the stats. I would say those without a lot of money likely wouldn't be living there. With all the growth in the UAE, especially Dubai, property is certainly not cheap.

I'm sure there's more info on the web..... though this project is slated for completion in ten years so I don't think there's a lot of answers right now. That seems to be how the UAE operates. Very ambitiously. Take a look at the Palm Islands. That should give you an idea.

"The Green City plan is a part of Abu Dhabi's April 2006 decision to embrace renewable and sustainable energy technologies." As the construction progresses it'll likely become more streamlined. You'll have to wait and see.

Considering that only about 20% of the population of Dubai are Emirati, I think more and more people continue to emigrate to the UAE, creating a split in ethnicity.

Since much of Abu Dhabi, comprising more than 80% of UAE, is desert, I don't think they're bulldozing another city, no.

--------------------
~Susie

'Yesterday's the past and tomorrow's the future. Today is a gift - which is why they call it the present.'
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th July 2014 - 02:06 AM
Top Hotel Destinations in United Arab Emirates

Abu Dhabi Hotels
Ajman Hotels
Al Ain Hotels
Dibba Hotels
Dubai Hotels
Fujairah Hotels
Hatta Hotels
Jebel Dhanna Hotels
Khorfakkan Hotels
Liwa Hotels
Madinat Zayed Hotels
Mirfa Hotels
Ras Al Khaimah Hotels
Saadiyat Island Hotels
Sharjah Hotels
Sir Bani Yas Island Hotels
Umm Al Quwain Hotels
Yas Island Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.