Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> SE Asia travel budget
rob_chaplin
post Jan 24 2008, 05:21 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 131435

Hi all, I'm after advice as to how much money I need to take for a 3month trip to SE Asia. I'll brak this up into 3 parts and hopefully someone can advise me as to how much they think it will all cost.

Month 1
I'm planning to spend a few days in bangkok lookign around and partying. Then I'll plan to head over to Cambodia to do a quick trip aound Siam Riep and back to bangkok. From there I planm to head down to the islands (koh samui, koh pagnan and Koh tao) for maybe a week before heading over land to phuket and island hopping around Koh kradan and maybe a couple of others in that area.

Month 2
A few days in kuala lumpur to look around, see batu caves etc. Then possible over to the perhenthian islands to relax for a week. Then travel down to singapore for a few days befroe flying over to Borneo to climb mt Kinabalu and visit the orangutan reserve.

Month 3
I plan to spend the last month in Indonesia just surfing, fishing and living on the beach as much as possible. Hopefully moving around a little to say Lombok or Sumatra.

All accomodation will be pretty basic, but with air con I hope. Quite happy to spend most nights in hostels or huts as long as I can have to odd day somewhere a bit nicer. How much would you suggest? I'm a first time traveller and would appreciate any adivce from people with experience!
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
thellie
post Jan 25 2008, 02:54 AM
Post #2

Pathfinder

Member No.: 13877

pretty hard to give a figure, but i'd plan a minimum of 750quid per month, and probably up to 1,500quid... not that you'll definitely spend that much, but it gives you a buffer.

i'm assuming you're not including flights to and from home. it'd be a lot less if you weren't skipping around so much, as travel is probably the biggest spend for you. there are cheap ways of getting about, but they'll cut into your time, unless you enjoy overnight trains, and 12 hour bus journeys (i like the first, hate the second).
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
rbisset
post Jan 25 2008, 04:32 AM
Post #3

Planet Pioneer

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 692

I spent 500/month living in the cheapest accommodation I could find, eating what I wanted and drinking too much every night. I was also zipping around here there and everywhere as well. Didn't stay in a single place with air-con though.

Fly to Kota Kinabalu from KL with Air Asia as it is dirt cheap and they have loads of flights daily (at least 6). Climbing Mt Kinabalu is a mission but worth it smile.gif

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
rob_chaplin
post Jan 25 2008, 12:40 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 131435

Many thanks for the advice guys. All very much appreciated!
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st August 2014 - 07:13 PM
Top Hotel Destinations in Thailand

Ayutthaya Hotels
Bangkok Hotels
Cha-am Hotels
Chaweng Hotels
Chiang Mai Hotels
Chiang Rai Hotels
Chon Buri Hotels
Hat Yai Hotels
Hua Hin Hotels
Kanchanaburi Hotels
Kathu Hotels
Khao Lak Hotels
Khon Kaen Hotels
Ko Lanta Hotels
Ko Phangan Hotels
Ko Phi Phi Don Hotels
Ko Tao Hotels
Krabi Hotels
Lampang Hotels
Loei Hotels
Mae Hong Son Hotels
Nakorn Ratchasima Hotels
Nakorn Si Thammarat Hotels
Narathiwat Hotels
Nonthaburi Hotels
Pai Hotels
Patong Hotels
Pattaya Hotels
Phangnga Hotels
Phetchaburi Hotels
Phitsanulok Hotels
Rawai Hotels
Rayong Hotels
Songkhla Hotels
Sukhothai Hotels
Surat Thani Hotels
Tak Hotels
Trang Hotels
Trat Hotels
Udon Thani Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.