Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 10 Day Itinerary, Plan your own vs Tour Co?
dleventhal
post Jan 24 2008, 03:47 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 131398

Hello,

Can anyone help me with an itinerary for a 10-12 day trip in Argentina in late April, early May? I am in a group of 3 people, traveling with my mom and a friend. We cannot do any intensive hiking as my mom has bad knees. We are more interested in seeing the culture and experiencing the great food and wine. We are debating whether or not to use a tour company or just plan the trip ourselves.

Do we have to travel back to BA in order to reach each destination or can we go directly from city to city? What are the best ways to get around the country

I know that Mendoza is in the heart of wine country and of course Buenos Aires, but what are some other good cities/places to visit?

In addition, would it be easy to go to the Torres del Paine National Park from Mendoza?

I appreciate your help!

Thanks,
Dana
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
starlagurl
post Jan 25 2008, 11:44 AM
Post #2

Rolling Stone

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 103914

Hi Dana, how bad are your mom's knees? Can she walk for a few hours at a time, every day, during the duration of your trip? If so, I would say plan your trip yourself. If not, I would definitely recommend looking for a guided tour.

I have never been to South America, but myfamily went across Canada on a train trip with my grandma, who can't walk more than 50 m without a break. You wouldn't believe the amount of money we spent on taxis. Definitely, the economic choice would have been to do this trip with a bus touring group. But, in the end I think it was worth it, to travel on our own schedule and do the exact things that we wanted to do. It all depends on your budget.

As for some recommended itineraries in Argentina, here are some inspiring travel blogs I found:
http://www.travelpod.com/travel-blog-entri...14820/tpod.html
http://www.travelpod.com/travel-blog-entri...01860/tpod.html
http://www.travelpod.com/travel-blog-entri...09460/tpod.html

It looks like most people take the bus around.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
mmbcross
post Jan 25 2008, 04:46 PM
Post #3

Tripper

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 2195

QUOTE(dleventhal @ Jan 24 2008, 03:47 PM) *

Hello,

Can anyone help me with an itinerary for a 10-12 day trip in Argentina in late April, early May? I am in a group of 3 people, traveling with my mom and a friend. We cannot do any intensive hiking as my mom has bad knees. We are more interested in seeing the culture and experiencing the great food and wine. We are debating whether or not to use a tour company or just plan the trip ourselves.

Do we have to travel back to BA in order to reach each destination or can we go directly from city to city? What are the best ways to get around the country

I know that Mendoza is in the heart of wine country and of course Buenos Aires, but what are some other good cities/places to visit?

In addition, would it be easy to go to the Torres del Paine National Park from Mendoza?

I appreciate your help!

Thanks,
Dana

Hello dana,

I see Starlagurl has already given you some pretty good advice. I agree, if you can get onto TravelPod, you should be able to get around Argentina by yourselves. I was there the year before last for 10 days, and it's a great deal. The US$ still means something there.
Here's my suggestion for a 10-day itinerary.
Day 1 - USA to BUE - generally an overnight flight
Day 2 - Arrive in BUE. Read the blogs...enjoy this fabulous city
Day 3 - If you are here on a Sunday make sure you go to the San Thelmo Flea Market. Districts you must visit are Boca, Recoleta and Palermo. We took the Tren de la Costa (very easy) to the Tigre Delta, and had wonderful day. We attended a ballet at the Colon Opera House. We had box seats right beside the stage at US$ 25.00 each. We also went to a local football match. Wow..what an experience.
Day 4 - Fly Buenos Aires-Iguassu Falls-Buenos Aires. There are three waterfalls everone should see in their life, Niagara, Victoria and Iguassu. Now's your chance. There is a bit of walking to be done, but you can stick to the boardwalks if Mum's knees act up. BUE has a very convenient downtown airport. It's a 15-minute, US$ 5.00 taxi ride from downtown.
Day 5- In BUE - You might do what we did and take the overnight bus to Mendoza. The bus has full length beds and they serve dinner and breakfast, all for around US$ 25.00 each way.
Day 5 - Mendoza - Lovely town. Visit wineries. We rented a car for the day and drove to the Andes. Return to BUE tonight.
Day 6 - Spend a night in an estancia in the Pampas. We chose La Bamba, but there are lots available. If you rent a car, the whole area is open to you. If you take the bus, make sure the estancia can pick you up at the bus stop.
Day 7 - Return to BUE.
Day 8 - Fly to Bariloche. There is a bus service, but it's an awfully long way (20 hours).
Day 9 - Enjoy this beautiful town and the spectacular surroundings.
Day 9 - Return to Buenos Aires
Day 10 - Fly back to USA by overnight flight.

By the way, I think you should forget Torres del Paine. Patagonia is a trip in itself, and can be quite rugged. Anyway, it's in Chile, and somewhat complicated to get there from Argentina.

Read my blog about our trip.
http://www.travelpod.com/cgi-bin/entries.p...464695914562848
If you need more info please contact me via this blog.
Cheers
Martin

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2014 - 05:35 PM
Top Hotel Destinations in Argentina

Buenos Aires Hotels
Cafayate Hotels
Capilla del Monte Hotels
Carilo Hotels
Chacras de Coria Hotels
Cordoba Hotels
Corrientes Hotels
El Bolson Hotels
El Calafate Hotels
El Chalten Hotels
Esquel Hotels
La Cumbre Hotels
La Falda Hotels
Mar del Plata Hotels
Mendoza Hotels
Neuquen Hotels
Pilar Hotels
Pinamar Hotels
Puerto Iguazu Hotels
Puerto Madryn Hotels
Puerto Piramides Hotels
Purmamarca Hotels
Rosario Hotels
Salta Hotels
San Antonio de Areco Hotels
San Carlos de Bariloche Hotels
San Juan Hotels
San Martin de los Andes Hotels
San Miguel de Tucuman Hotels
San Rafael Hotels
San Salvador de Jujuy Hotels
Santa Fe Hotels
Tigre Hotels
Tilcara Hotels
Trelew Hotels
Ushuaia Hotels
Villa Carlos Paz Hotels
Villa General Belgrano Hotels
Villa Gesell Hotels
Villa La Angostura Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.