Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> NZ has the 'least affordable' housing, Apparently..
ScottWoz
post Jan 20 2008, 08:10 PM
Post #1

Rolling Stone

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 124

I've just read this:

"New Zealand houses are now the least affordable in the world, according to an international survey.

New Zealand was the only country of the six surveyed where all of the cities ranked were rated severely unaffordable.

However, of the list of 227 cities, the top five were in the United States, with the worst being Los Angeles.

Of the New Zealand cities looked at, Tauranga is now the country's most expensive ranked at 20th of the 227 cities studied, followed by Auckland at 31st, Christchurch at 34th, Hamilton at 40th and Wellington at 46th."

Interesting stats, but really, you can't expect to live in paradise for nothing can you?

--------------------
Woz..

Living on a string of one-way tickets - currently kicking about in: southern Cambodia
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
wakingdream
post Jan 21 2008, 10:11 AM
Post #2

Rolling Stone

Member No.: 13336

Somehow it's not really that surprising as NZ seems like an idyllic place to live.

He says the affordability of housing is overwhelmingly down to the extent to which governments place artificial restrictions on the supply of residential land.

I'm curious about the above. The artificial restrictions part. Artificial restrictions to limit the supply of land zoned for residential, which would inevitably drive prices through the roof, no? Is that to slow down an overly ambitious housing market?

--------------------
~Susie

'Yesterday's the past and tomorrow's the future. Today is a gift - which is why they call it the present.'
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
hdh
post Jan 22 2008, 10:31 PM
Post #3

Voyager

Group: Members
Member No.: 474
Nominate me as a Local Expert

QUOTE(wakingdream @ Jan 22 2008, 04:11 AM) *

I'm curious about the above. The artificial restrictions part. Artificial restrictions to limit the supply of land zoned for residential, which would inevitably drive prices through the roof, no? Is that to slow down an overly ambitious housing market?

Nah, it's got more to do with keeping urban sprawl under control - Auckland in particular is geographically huge: despite having only 1.3 million or so people it's not much smaller than LA or London.

Don Brash, by the way, is not exactly unbiased here - although the article lists him as "former Reserve Bank chairman" he's more recently "former leader of the National (i,.e conservative) Party & Leader of the Opposition". The whole "excessive government restrictions" thing is a political football he's taking the opportunity to kick around.

I'd say house prices here actually have more to do with tax policy (investment in rental property has massive tax advantages over, for example, the sharemarket) and the long duration of the housing boom making people think rising house prices make them a "sure thing" investment, so they're willing to pay silly money.

Plus NZ house prices aren't actually massively high in absolute terms - "affordability" sucks because our incomes are among the lowest in the developed world. Which means there is also a tendancy for prices to be be driven up by well-off immigrants (or expat Kiwis returning home, which they almost all do eventually).

Be interesting to see how things change over the next year or so - the housing market was already flattening off due to high interest rates, and the US credit crunch will have an effect.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
rbisset
post Jan 23 2008, 04:44 AM
Post #4

Planet Pioneer

Member No.: 692

Amazingly Mandurah is the 6th least affordable place in the world according to that list.....

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
ScottWoz
post Jan 23 2008, 06:43 AM
Post #5

Rolling Stone

Mandurah? No way!

--------------------
Woz..

Living on a string of one-way tickets - currently kicking about in: southern Cambodia
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
wakingdream
post Jan 23 2008, 08:49 AM
Post #6

Rolling Stone

Member No.: 13336

I'd say house prices here actually have more to do with tax policy (investment in rental property has massive tax advantages over, for example, the sharemarket) and the long duration of the housing boom making people think rising house prices make them a "sure thing" investment, so they're willing to pay silly money.

Makes sense. Thanks for clearing that up hdh.Also didn't know NZ incomes were so low.....

--------------------
~Susie

'Yesterday's the past and tomorrow's the future. Today is a gift - which is why they call it the present.'
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
ScottWoz
post Jan 23 2008, 03:51 PM
Post #7

Rolling Stone

Ridiculously low, which is why so many Kiwi's come over here to Aus to earn the bucks. Dave's right though, they inevitably go back. Why wouldn't they? It is heaven on earth. I'd be doing the same if only I had a damn passport..

--------------------
Woz..

User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
fuzzyhatjon
post Feb 13 2008, 09:07 PM
Post #8

Wanderer

Member No.: 55634

I still think Alberta has some of the least affordable housing I've seen.

Tauranga in New Zealand is pretty pricy in places. Mostly the Mount (home for 4 months) due to tourists (from Auckland, and abroad) buying places to "live" for the summer months. The "locals" aren't big fans of "seasonal citizens", haha.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
ScottWoz
post Feb 15 2008, 08:18 PM
Post #9

Rolling Stone

I don't think anyone is..

--------------------
Woz..

User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
phoenixspirit
post Feb 25 2008, 02:32 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 117845

When I lived out in New Zealand it wasn't expensieve but you got what you pay for.

The only trouble being for us is when we sold the house, is we made a loss of about $15,000. I think we chose a very bad year in the market to go back home, but I have to say the affordability of the houses and what you got for it was far better than compared to the UK based on our wages (Even if we didn't have double glazing. A luxury I never appreciated until then). I lived in Auckland though, so perhaps it was different elsewhere.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
starlagurl
post Feb 27 2008, 11:12 AM
Post #11

Rolling Stone

Member No.: 103914

From another related article:

"Barfoot & Thompson says its average sale price for 2007 was $538,478, compared to $480,738 for 2006."

Wowie...average price in Ottawa...$255,889 according to Keller Williams...

http://www.agentinottawa.com/1956_-_2006__...age_491704.html

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2014 - 03:38 PM
Top Hotel Destinations in New Zealand

Akaroa Hotels
Arrowtown Hotels
Auckland Hotels
Blenheim Hotels
Christchurch Hotels
Coromandel Hotels
Dunedin Hotels
Fox Glacier Hotels
Franz Josef Hotels
Gisborne Hotels
Greymouth Hotels
Hamilton Hotels
Hanmer Springs Hotels
Hastings Hotels
Hokitika Hotels
Invercargill Hotels
Kaikoura Hotels
Kerikeri Hotels
Lake Tekapo Hotels
Mangere Hotels
Napier Hotels
Nelson Hotels
New Plymouth Hotels
Oamaru Hotels
Paihia Hotels
Palmerston North Hotels
Picton Hotels
Queenstown Hotels
Rotorua Hotels
Russell Hotels
Taupo Hotels
Tauranga Hotels
Te Anau Hotels
Timaru Hotels
Waiheke Island Hotels
Wanaka Hotels
Wanganui Hotels
Wellington Hotels
Whangarei Hotels
Whitianga Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.