Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Thailand first time, and on my own...., advice and tips??
danny_69r
post Jan 7 2010, 07:27 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 418971

Hi everyone,

basically i booked thailand yesterday smile.gif 1st May-30th May, was wondering if any one else would be there really, and also would love to hear whats good to do within 30days (i know its not long but want to get as much as i can done) i have a budget of around 1200 for accomadation, food, and whatever else ill need money for! So anyone who has any tips of what to do where to go, where to book it etc. would be a great help. also tips on how to not get myself into trouble etc.

On another note Ive looked up the full moon party is 29th May (i think?) and i leave bangkok at 10.20am on the 30th.... is this SAFE? lol

Thanks Danny
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
kathryn77
post Jan 7 2010, 02:40 PM
Post #2

Vagabond

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 30044

Hi Danny,

If the Full Moon Party is the 29th and your flight is 10:20am from Bangkok on the 30th, I'm afraid you'll have to give it a miss. There's no airport on Koh Pha Ngan, nearest is on Koh Samui, but even then, that's a boat away, and you still have to get to Bangkok. If you really wanted to do that, here's 2 alternative ideas:

- the Half Moon party (halfway between each full moon party - not sure of exact date in May but will be halfway through your trip)
- the warm up parties - happen on the nights preceeding the full moon party.

As for what to do / where to go etc, what sort of stuff do you want to do? Southern Thailand has a lot of beaches etc, but up north there is much more culture and scenery...the 'real' Thailand yes.gif

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
danny_69r
post Jan 10 2010, 09:41 AM
Post #3

Group: Members
Member No.: 418971

Thanks thats a great help, will have to be the half moon party i think smile.gif. Well what im thinking about doing is when i get there, get talking to people see what there doing etc. and then if it doesnt really sound like what i want to do then i want to go up north for a week or so and into the jungles etc. elephant rides, then down south for the rest to all of the nice beaches and what not. What is travel like to get onto another island or whatever. Im looking to save 1200 GBP for 30days do you think this will be enough? and im not too sure what to do about my money im thinking about getting a cash card that the company i booked through sell?
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
kathryn77
post Jan 10 2010, 02:11 PM
Post #4

Vagabond

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 30044

Hiya, that's definitely the best attitude - to meet people when you're there and if your interests are the same and you end up travelling together, great, and if not, you're not bothered - fab!

For your budget, that would be more than enough for me - I'd come home with change. It is really cheap - especially up north - the islands are more touristy, so a bit more expensive, but by no means western prices.

You can island hop easily, the boats are frequent, and you just check the times at the jetty - it varies island to island, and how far you have to go of course.

There are ATM's everywhere in Thailand, so you can draw money anywhere (except possibly the jungle wink.gif ) so it's not essential to get a different card.

I loved all of Thailand, but for different reasons - the north for the culture, and 'real Thai' experience, and the islands for chill-axing smile.gif I'm so jealous, you're going to love it!

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st September 2014 - 09:43 PM
Top Hotel Destinations in Thailand

Ayutthaya Hotels
Bangkok Hotels
Cha-am Hotels
Chaweng Hotels
Chiang Mai Hotels
Chiang Rai Hotels
Chon Buri Hotels
Hat Yai Hotels
Hua Hin Hotels
Kanchanaburi Hotels
Kathu Hotels
Khao Lak Hotels
Khon Kaen Hotels
Ko Lanta Hotels
Ko Phangan Hotels
Ko Phi Phi Don Hotels
Ko Tao Hotels
Krabi Hotels
Lampang Hotels
Loei Hotels
Mae Hong Son Hotels
Nakorn Ratchasima Hotels
Nakorn Si Thammarat Hotels
Narathiwat Hotels
Nonthaburi Hotels
Pai Hotels
Patong Hotels
Pattaya Hotels
Phangnga Hotels
Phetchaburi Hotels
Phitsanulok Hotels
Rawai Hotels
Rayong Hotels
Songkhla Hotels
Sukhothai Hotels
Surat Thani Hotels
Tak Hotels
Trang Hotels
Trat Hotels
Udon Thani Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.