Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Leg it to London....., Good ol' Blighty!
inasia2008
post Jan 17 2008, 08:01 PM
Post #1

Unregistered

Well I am originally from London, England although I have lived in the Middle East and now in Japan (although these are other stories).

Oh and for the record, British people are not the miserable, grumpy stuck up characters as portrayed a lot in films etc. They are a very warm, funny and friendly. You will find, just like anywhere in a busy city, people rushing too and from work, who may look a bit uptight, but they are going to work, so what do you expect!!!!! frantics.gif

Getting There

London is basically accessible from any country and practically any airline in the world. All major American airlines fly there and the time of travel would be around 6-12 hours depending on where in the States you are based. London Heathrow is the busiest airport in the world and has around 240,000 people p[assing through there every day. Other not so busy airports include Gatwick, Stanstead and Luton.

The easiest way to get into London from Heathrow, unless you are renting a car, is by London Underground, the Piccadilly Line runs from all Terminals. Also, there is the option of the £750 million non-stop rail link to London called the Heathrow Express, which can get you to London in around 15 minutes.

Currency

The currency in London is Pounds and Pence, but be aware there is around $1.97 to GBP1, so your money will half. London is quite expensive also, but you can manage just fine on a budget if you plan well enough.

Where to Stay in London

There are tons of hotels, ranging widely in price, around London, and also tons of hostels and B&B's, you are best off researching/booking these online before you travel, as there are so many. yawn.gif

Getting Around

The easiest way to get around London is by the London Underground, or The Tube as the locals call it! Its the train system which serves the whole of London and some of the surrounding suburbs. Tube maps can be picked by from any Airport, Underground Station, Hotel/B&B etc. or can be found online or in Travel Guides. Basically the lines are all different colours to make it easier to find the right line. For example, the Central Line (red) runs from West London through Central London right out to the Suburbs of Essex and the Circle Line (yellow) runs in a circle around East Central London and is the one you would use for the Tower of London etc. or the commercial areas of London etc. Its is pretty reasonably priced. Black Taxis are also widely available, but can be costly. Traffic in London is a bit of a nightmare and can cause congestion or delays if you are in a hurry! hyper.gif

Major Attractions

Usually the major attractions for tourists would be the Tower of London, the London Eye, the Tate Modern, the British Museum, the Victoria & Albert Museum, St Paul's Cathedral or the
National Portrait Gallery. But if you want a more traditional visit, go to Roman Road Market in Bow, East London for a real feel of East End London life, or visit Brick Lane, near Liverpool Street station, which has a very Indian feel and lots of curry houses and sari shops. Also, take a tour of Jack the Ripper's London, which can be found in Guidebooks. London is a very historical city and has a lot of little hidden treasures, churches and alleyways and buildings, which have been there since before the Great Fire of London. It is an amazing mixture of old and new architecture side by side. Liverpool Street Station for instace, was built on the site of an old Plague Hospital. Each of the four areas of London have very different cultural backgrounds, the East is very traditional, working class, and now has a very Indian culture also. The North has a lot of Irish people living there, the South is predominantly black and the West is what we like to call the "posh" area, where the rich people live. Also, find out what's around London's famous parks, commons and green spaces also, yes these really do exist in London!

Food and Drink

Okay, its not true that British food is terrible! It really is not! There are TONS of restaurants, bars, pubs and nightclubs in London, and I mean TONS! You will find every cuisine in existence there and then some.... from Organic restaurants to Morrocan, Japanese, Indian, Italian, French and the Traditional... Fish & Chips with Curry Sauce (It really is yummy!). A pub is a traditional drinking hole in London, and these are in abundance, you can go in and relax with a pint of beer on tap! Or if you fancy something a bit more upmarket there are a lot of noveau bars around too serving bottled beers mainly and wine and spirits! Obviously you will also find a lot of Fast Food Restaurants too!

What's On in London

There is an abundance of Theatres, Clubs and DJ Bars, Art Galleries, Tours, Comedy Clubs etc. There is something to suit everyone's palate! Check locally for evets happening at the time of your trip. All accommodation will usually have brochures and leaflets available for tourists which are free and make for great planning tips. party.gif

Shopping

Markets:
From antiques and exotic ingredients to retro fashions and crafts, London's many markets offer shoppers a huge choice.

British Designer Fashion:

The famous Burberry check has become a favourite.

A bit of an institution these days, Jasper Conran offers beautiful classic garments as well as homewares, jewellery, scents and a more affordable range of designs for Debenhams.

Joseph's signature look is smart, tailored and modern. Shop here for beautifully made classic items that you just can't do without.

The king of British men's fashion is Sir Paul Smith and his label celebrates classic British tailoring injected with a twist. The trademark bright patterned shirts and loud cufflinks, wallets and accessories are instantly recognisable.

Oxford Street, Marble Arch, Kings Road, Piccadilly Circus etc. are all fabulous Shopping Places and see the famous Carnaby Street also. There are some wonderful department stores in London, such as Selfridges, Libertys and Harrods also.

So far as clothes sizing, if you are a US size 8, then you would buy a UK size 12! Just add on four to get your size. For men I am not too sure, but check with the store and they would always be happy to measure you.

People Like You

Luxury: Indulge yourself in London. Our world class city offers the best of the best.

From super chic fashion to famous hotels, opulent restaurants, to ultra stylish bars and spas - there’s simply nowhere like it. Take your pick from our guide to London's finest

Gay and Lesbian: London is widely recognised as one of the gay capitals of the world and is home to the largest gay and lesbian community in Europe.

With the annual London Pride Festival, London's Gay and Lesbian Film Festival, and arguably the most eye-opening gay club nights you'll find in the world, there's something to keep you entertained all year round.

Kids and Young People: Check out kidslovelondon.com for more info.

If you're new to London then get ready to have the time of your life. If you're not then you'll already know how cool this city is for young people.

Budget: You don't have to spend a fortune to have a great time in London. If you're on a budget check out these great ideas and get more value for your money. From free attractions to cheap food and drink, your trip to London could be bargain filled if you know where to look!

Go Green: Climate change is big news at the moment, if you're worried about the environment then check out this section for tips on how to be a green traveller. You'll find plenty of useful information, from where to eat the best organic food to finding out which of London's many businesses have been awarded for their contribution to making London a greener place.

Discover London Trails

Enjoy a great day out in London with these fun and informative trails. From historic gardens and literary houses to bright lights and city squares, there is plenty of exploring to be done! Simply download a guide and prepare to discover a different side to London.

The Historic Gardens Museum Trail: If you're a garden lover, then these 2 half day trails are definitely for you!

Arts and Crafts Trail: Follow in the footsteps of William Morris and The Arts and Crafts Movement in museums, galleries, historic houses and homes across London.

Camden and Islington Trail: Find culture, canals, fine art and more on this trail of cool Camden and trendy Islington.

London's Literary Houses Trail: London has always been an inspiration for poets, novelists and artists. This full day trail takes to some fascinating sites between Hampstead and Chelsea.

Sports Trail: London provides a showcase of sporting excellence and these themed tours will take you to some magnificent sporting venues.

South London Trail: Explore the hilltops of South London for some extraordinary sights from some of London's highest points.

London a World City Trail: This trail explores multi-cultural London, truly a world in one city.

Wimbledon Trail: Explore Wimbledon, internationally famous for its annual lawn tennis championships, this charming village has even more to offer.

Bright Lights and City Squares Trail: This full day trail takes you from the heart of Mayfair through fashionable city squares taking in some of London's greatest cultural triumphs along the way.

Notting Hill Trail: This trail takes you to the fashionable areas of Notting Hill and Holland Park with its boutiques galleries, cafes and bars.

Upper Thames Trail: This trail follows the river Thames between Twickenham and Kew. Stroll along the riverbank, visit grand houses and enjoy wonderful views and riverside pubs.

Well, I hope you find this to be of some help when planning your trip to London, it really is an amazing city. Happy Travels! hug.gif
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
starlagurl
post Jan 29 2008, 11:27 AM
Post #2

Rolling Stone

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 103914

That's great, Joanne, thank you so much for that, I'm sure it will help a lot of people.
Have you done all of these things? Which one is your favourite? What's a typical London weekend like for you?

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
wakingdream
post Jan 29 2008, 03:45 PM
Post #3

Rolling Stone

Member No.: 13336

Oh and for the record, British people are not the miserable, grumpy stuck up characters as portrayed a lot in films etc.

That's so true actually! Brits are often portrayed as such in films but are actually really pleasant. I love the British sense of humour. While we were in London we met tons of wonderful, kind people. Sure there's grumpies but aren't there grumpies everywhere?

Awesome London breakdown Joanne thumbsup.png Shows you still have quite a passion for your hometown. I loved London and my only regret is not spending more time there! yes, it's expensive but there's tons of free stuff to do as well. next time I'm hoping to visit in the summer rather than December!

--------------------
~Susie

'Yesterday's the past and tomorrow's the future. Today is a gift - which is why they call it the present.'
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
olvysmyself
post Mar 29 2008, 06:32 PM
Post #4

Group: Members
Member No.: 160862
Nominate me as a Local Expert

Would like to visit London but it is quite difficult from here. Who can advice the easiest way to reach that wonderful city?
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
olvysmyself
post Mar 29 2008, 06:37 PM
Post #5

Would like to visit London but it is quite difficult from here. Who can advice the easiest way to reach that wonderful city?
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
inasia2008
post Mar 31 2008, 09:07 PM
Post #6

Unregistered

QUOTE(wakingdream @ Jan 29 2008, 03:45 PM) *

Oh and for the record, British people are not the miserable, grumpy stuck up characters as portrayed a lot in films etc.

That's so true actually! Brits are often portrayed as such in films but are actually really pleasant. I love the British sense of humour. While we were in London we met tons of wonderful, kind people. Sure there's grumpies but aren't there grumpies everywhere?

Awesome London breakdown Joanne thumbsup.png Shows you still have quite a passion for your hometown. I loved London and my only regret is not spending more time there! yes, it's expensive but there's tons of free stuff to do as well. next time I'm hoping to visit in the summer rather than December!

Thank you so much! I do love London and I always will I miss it a lot! I think British people have a great sense of humour, when I lived there people I knew couldn't party enough! And yes, there are grumpies everywhere crazy.gif

I actually think it is not as expensive to me personally now as I thought, I mean sure, its expensive there, but having lived using the American Dollar now for the last 2 years, it seems even more so, due to the exchange rate, whenever I go shopping I still convert back into pounds and think "well that would have cost me this in the UK"!

But yes, there is tons of free stuff to do there also, you won't be disappointed, Summer is a great time to go, also go to Cornwall if you get a chance (about 4 hours from London by train)!
+Quote Post
inasia2008
post Mar 31 2008, 09:08 PM
Post #7

Unregistered

QUOTE(olvysmyself @ Mar 29 2008, 06:37 PM) *

Whereabouts are you?
+Quote Post
inasia2008
post Mar 31 2008, 09:11 PM
Post #8

Unregistered

QUOTE(starlagurl @ Jan 29 2008, 11:27 AM) *

That's great, Joanne, thank you so much for that, I'm sure it will help a lot of people.
Have you done all of these things? Which one is your favourite? What's a typical London weekend like for you?

LOL, I wish I had time to do all those things when I lived there, even as a Londoner, I am ashamed to say I haven't! But I think tourists are more lilkely to do some of these things than people who live there unsure.gif
A typical weekend for me there was shopping in Oxford Street or visiting family or doing my grocery shopping!!!! But I did like to just go and see sights sometimes if the mood took me, one of my favourites is the Tower of London! Also, the Chamber of Horrors and Carnaby Street! flowers.png
+Quote Post
sianeth
post Apr 1 2008, 01:35 PM
Post #9

Jet Setter

Member No.: 60100

Carnaby Street is seconded for shopping, as is Hamleys on Regent Street if you want to feel like a big kid!

My favourite spot in London is up on Primose Hill - go up there in the middle of the night and there's noone else there and you can see over the whole of London. Its literally amazing and reminds me why I'm perpetually overawed by London no matter how many times I go.

And don't forget the soundtrack: put on London Calling by The Clash, perfect!
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
olvysmyself
post Apr 2 2008, 05:27 PM
Post #10

QUOTE(inasia2008 @ Mar 31 2008, 09:08 PM) *

Whereabouts are you?

[font=Verdana]I am in Ukraine.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
olvysmyself
post Apr 2 2008, 05:28 PM
Post #11

QUOTE(olvysmyself @ Apr 2 2008, 05:27 PM) *

Whereabouts are you?

I am in Ukraine.

User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
starlagurl
post Apr 3 2008, 09:49 AM
Post #12

Rolling Stone

Member No.: 103914

The easiest way is always a plane... what kind of budget do you have? Have you looked at expedia for prices yet?

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
inasia2008
post Apr 7 2008, 10:28 PM
Post #13

Unregistered

QUOTE(olvysmyself @ Apr 2 2008, 05:28 PM) *

QUOTE(olvysmyself @ Apr 2 2008, 05:27 PM) *

Whereabouts are you?

I am in Ukraine.

I found a website you can check out called www.airninja.com and they have discount or non-discount air travel to Lonfron from your destination, you will need to go there to research but the list includes

Air Baltic

Dnepropetrovsk (DNK) to London - Gatwick (LGW)
Kiev (KBP) to London - Gatwick (LGW)
Kiev (KBP) to London - Heathrow (LHR)
Odessa (ODS) to London - Gatwick (LGW)
Odessa (ODS) to London - Heathrow (LHR)
Simferopol (SIP) to London - Gatwick (LGW)

FlyLAL

Kiev (KBP) to London - Multiple Airports (LON)

Also check out www.ba.com as British Airways do some good deals from your area to London also!

I just checked, and can tell you that at today's date (7th April) one British Pound is equivalent to 9.95 Ukrainian Hyrvnia, so I hope that helps!

I haven't checked prices for you as I wouldn't know if you were getting a good deal or not! Good Luck and I really hope you get to London!

+Quote Post
angel003
post Nov 16 2009, 11:41 PM
Post #14

Wanderer

Member No.: 511301

Hello
When to go: Between April and September is the best time to travel in England, unless you want to experience the infamous British weather. Of course, thousands of other tourists have the same plan, but you'll probably only feel truly cramped in July or August, the busiest months.

What to see: With its dynamic mix of restaurants, sites, museums and other cultural attractions, London is a terrific, and terrifically expensive, place to spend time. But England isn't just London.

In the north, you'll find a beautiful countryside of lakes, castles and national parks. Take a day trip to the medieval city of York, or check out Manchester, home of a world-famous soccer team and an almost-as-famous music scene.

The south has a more subdued landscape, with quiet country lanes and inland waterways. There you'll find Oxford, Cambridge and Straightforward, Shakespeare's birthplace. The southern seashore is known for fun beach resorts like Brighton, and Cornwall in the southwest offers spectacular rocky coastline and wonderful surfing.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
douglas87
post Oct 9 2010, 07:36 AM
Post #15

Drifter

Member No.: 789711

Hello,
London is really very nice place. i have been there two or three times i like the style and fashion out there. the city also have so many things. i like the culture out there.

thanks!!
+Quote Post
docgrace
post Mar 6 2012, 09:59 PM
Post #16

Member No.: 2715733

On your vacations, it's always advisable to have someone who can assist you with your travel arrangements. If you have an android phone, you can try downloading the travel club app mytravelsos. It says you have a personal assistant and not only that, you'll also have a full legal/medical coverage while on vacation. Why should I be paying a monthly fee if it only covers a couple of weeks of vacation for me? Personal Assistant on the go? How cool is that?
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th July 2014 - 06:51 PM
Top Hotel Destinations

Acapulco Hotels
Atlanta Hotels
Austin Hotels
Beijing Hotels
Cancun Hotels
Charlotte Hotels
Chicago Hotels
Dallas Hotels
Denver Hotels
Honolulu Hotels
Houston Hotels
Indianapolis Hotels
Kissimmee Hotels
Las Vegas Hotels
London Hotels
Los Angeles Hotels
Mexico City Hotels
Miami Hotels
Miami Beach Hotels
Montreal Hotels
Myrtle Beach Hotels
Nashville Hotels
Negril Hotels
New Orleans Hotels
New York City Hotels
Orlando Hotels
Paris Hotels
Phoenix Hotels
Playa del Carmen Hotels
Puerto Plata Hotels
Puerto Vallarta Hotels
Punta Cana Hotels
Rome Hotels
San Antonio Hotels
San Diego Hotels
San Francisco Hotels
Seattle Hotels
Tampa Hotels
Toronto Hotels
Washington DC Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.