Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

> New York FAQ and Starter Kit
laorfamily
post Jan 17 2008, 11:10 AM
Post #1

Vagabond

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 30320

When you say New York to people most immediately think of New York City in general, and Manhattan specifically. New York City is a unique city not only in the world, but in the United States as well. There is a lot of good information out there on NYC so I will not spend a lot of space on it since it is so diverse, complex and changes often.
New York State has a lot to offer besides NYC even though I’m sure most visitors would like to see Manhattan.

Money:
US Dollars

Language:
English

New York City:
The largest city in the United States, most populous and probably the most famous. NYC compromises of five boroughs – The Bronx, Brooklyn, Queens, Staten Island and the most famous – the island of Manhattan. All the boroughs are accessible through the subway system.

The Bronx:
The northernmost borough which used to be very upscale in the 1920’s and has suffered severe setbacks – however a revitalization movement is currently occurring and The Bronx is actually a nice place to visit. You can go see the famous Bronx Zoo, which I recommend highly, the Edgar Allen Poe cottage, NY Botanical Garden, the Woodlawn Cemetery where many of the rich & famous are buried, take a tour of Yankee Stadium – or just walk around The Bronx feasting your eyes on incredible architecture.
By the way – the name is “The Bronx” not “Bronx”.

Brooklyn:
One of the best things to do is to walk from Manhattan to Brooklyn on the Brooklyn Bridge. You’ll get to see wonderful views of both boroughs and meet great people. Once in Brooklyn you can go to Coney Island, Green-Wood Cemetery or the NY Transit Museum.

Queens:
If you arrive in NY by plane, you will probably arrive in Queens where the two major airports are located (JFK & LaGuardia). Once here you can go to the USTA Billie Jean King National Tennis Center (home of the annual U.S. Open), Shea Stadium (where your humble servant saw Eric Clapton & Elton John perform together), Kaufman Astoria Studios, Silvercup Studios (“Highlander” anyone?), Flushing Meadows Corona Park, and Queens Center (the most profitable per-square-foot mall in America).

Staten Island:
There are several wonderful museums in Staten Island such as the Alice Austen House Museum or take a tour of the Staten Island Zoo.

Manhattan:
There is nothing to do in Manhattan.

Yeah, right!
I’ve lived in the area for over 20 years and haven’t scratched the surface of Manhattan yet – so have a game plan.
I’m sure you are familiar with all the famous sites, and they are famous for a reason – they’re great but here are a few other options which we took and enjoyed:
- Walking food tourshttp://www.foodsofny.com/] http://www.foodsofny.com/[/url]
- FREE Central Park walking tours http://www.centralparknyc.org/site/PageNav...ms_walkingtours
- On Location Tours - http://www.screentours.com/ (Never done those but they seem like a lot of fun)
Manhattan has events year round – and almost everyday.
If you are on a budget, it might be hard to find a place to stay in Manhattan, there are several hostel and inns in other boroughs which are much more affordable.

The “other” New York:
New York City is a small part of New York – if you venture north (“upstate”) you’d find lakes, rolling meadows, farmlands (I kid you not) and other large cities.
Some of the most popular are:
- Lake George
- The artisan village of Sugar Loaf
- Tour the Finger Lakes region (with a wonderful 120 mile wine trail)
- Go to the American side of Niagara Falls (a lot less touristy and kitschy then the Canadian side).
- Take a tour of the United States Military Academy (West Point)
- Go to the famous village of Sleepy Hollow
- Take a cruise down the Hudson River
- Visit the “National Baseball Hall of Fame” in Cooperstown
- Cruise the Great Lakes

And many more – the options are almost endless. Give me a shout if you intend to be in the area and what you are interested in, and I’ll try to help (also give you my contact info in case of emergency).

--------------------
Living Well Is The Best Revenge

Going Down South to North Carolina
Book Reviews: http://www.ManOfLaBook.com
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
laorfamily   New York FAQ and Starter Kit   Jan 17 2008, 11:10 AM
starlagurl   Cool, there's lots of great tips here. I have ...   Jan 29 2008, 11:22 AM
andy123456789   if you go there try to fly on jetblue   May 11 2008, 01:41 AM
starlagurl   Why's that?   May 12 2008, 09:54 AM
andy123456789   Why's that? They have great service   May 12 2008, 05:39 PM
starlagurl   What kind of service are you referring to exactly?   May 13 2008, 08:35 AM
andy123456789   What kind of service are you referring to exactly...   May 13 2008, 05:16 PM
introducinlyric   Great job laorfamily!! awesome tips there ...   May 14 2008, 02:35 AM
starlagurl   What kind of service are you referring to exactl...   May 14 2008, 08:05 AM
starlagurl   Wha? Baseball is easy to understand. Hit the ball ...   Sep 2 2008, 10:19 AM
polydemic   Two t'ings youse can't miss in Nu Yawk: a ...   Sep 5 2008, 09:07 PM
skylab   Two t'ings youse can't miss in Nu Yawk: a...   Nov 18 2008, 08:08 AM
starlagurl   I've been lots and never had either of them...   Sep 8 2008, 09:39 AM
skylab   If anyone needs help on NYC nightlife, just ask. P...   Sep 30 2008, 11:44 AM
starlagurl   I've never been to either of those places, wha...   Nov 3 2008, 02:35 PM
starlagurl   Grimaldi's pizza...oh my...looks delicious ht...   Nov 21 2008, 11:44 AM
skylab   I know this place in hoboken.. Although I've n...   Nov 21 2008, 12:35 PM
travelmonster   Does anyone have ideas of websites where I can boo...   Dec 19 2008, 12:57 PM
starlagurl   Ha! I need one too! I found this one, it ...   Dec 19 2008, 01:05 PM
travelmonster   I'm not sure whats on there at the mo, I just ...   Dec 19 2008, 03:36 PM
laorfamily   I'm not sure whats on there at the mo, I just...   Dec 19 2008, 11:16 PM
starlagurl   If you do that just wait until you are in NYC and...   Dec 22 2008, 08:23 AM
laorfamily   Zohar, can you usually get tickets to a specifi...   Dec 22 2008, 09:43 AM
travelmonster   Thanks for the info - too late for me though as I ...   Dec 20 2008, 11:49 AM
starlagurl   Hm, and then, theoretically, if they don't hav...   Dec 22 2008, 11:54 AM
travelmonster   Yeah I guess in theory you could just go to the th...   Dec 22 2008, 02:09 PM
mynetdude   Didn't see this thread when I posted here, I r...   Sep 10 2010, 11:58 AM

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th July 2014 - 02:24 AM
Top Hotel Destinations

Acapulco Hotels
Atlanta Hotels
Austin Hotels
Beijing Hotels
Cancun Hotels
Charlotte Hotels
Chicago Hotels
Dallas Hotels
Denver Hotels
Honolulu Hotels
Houston Hotels
Indianapolis Hotels
Kissimmee Hotels
Las Vegas Hotels
London Hotels
Los Angeles Hotels
Mexico City Hotels
Miami Hotels
Miami Beach Hotels
Montreal Hotels
Myrtle Beach Hotels
Nashville Hotels
Negril Hotels
New Orleans Hotels
New York City Hotels
Orlando Hotels
Paris Hotels
Phoenix Hotels
Playa del Carmen Hotels
Puerto Plata Hotels
Puerto Vallarta Hotels
Punta Cana Hotels
Rome Hotels
San Antonio Hotels
San Diego Hotels
San Francisco Hotels
Seattle Hotels
Tampa Hotels
Toronto Hotels
Washington DC Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.