Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Gibbon Project needs Volunteers
swinginggibbon
post Jan 5 2010, 06:34 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 632871
Nominate me as a Local Expert

www.gibbonproject.org

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
5 January 2010

ANOTHER BABY BORN WILD
Phuket, Thailand: A second baby white handed gibbon has been born in the Khao Phra Theaw Non-hunting Area just days after the Payu family added another member to their clan..

Not to be outdone by fellow forest member Dao, who gave birth to a baby a few days before Christmas, Kip from the Hope family decided to give the Gibbon Rehabilitation project staff and volunteers an extra reason to celebrate the New Year, by delivering a baby boy on December 30.

Staff members were both surprised and pleased to make their second baby discovery while they were en route to feeding the newly-released Jita family and to observe the progress Dao was making with her new baby, named Newbe.

This is the fifth baby to be born to the Hope family, and a truly remarkable success story for the GRP.

The Project now have a lot of work on their hands in order to look after these new family members in the forest and to keep observing the Jita group to ensure their release in the forest is a success, therefore it's all hands on deck.

They are calling on anyone who might be able to give up their time for a few weeks to help volunteer at the project during this very special time.

The new baby is the brother to Thong, Hope and Toffee. It is the sixth baby to be born in the wild since the first family was released back in 2002.

Run in conjunction with the Wild Animal Rescue Foundation of Thailand, the Gibbon Rehabilitation Project is the only one of its kind releasing ex-captive gibbons into the forest of Phuket.
Phuket’s original wild white-handed gibbon population was poached to extinction around 30 years ago.
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
starlagurl
post Jan 5 2010, 10:36 AM
Post #2

Rolling Stone

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 103914

It's always the same question that I ask. How much does it cost?

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
swinginggibbon
post Jan 6 2010, 06:15 AM
Post #3

QUOTE(starlagurl @ Jan 5 2010, 10:36 AM) *

Hi starlagurl
The cost depends on the time you are able to volunteer for. I am writing as a volunteer myself and my experience is that this project is very reasonable.
If you are interested more details about the work can be found on the website www.gibbonproject.org and you could also contact the projects volunteer coordinator (volunteer@warthai.org)
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
swinginggibbon
post Jan 6 2010, 06:25 AM
Post #4

Hi starlagurl
The cost depends on the time you are able to volunteer for. I am writing as a volunteer myself and my experience is that this project is very reasonable.
If you are interested more details about the work can be found on the website www.gibbonproject.org and you could also contact the projects volunteer coordinator (volunteer@warthai.org)
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
wandering_man
post Jan 24 2010, 12:52 AM
Post #5

Wanderer

Member No.: 266022

QUOTE(swinginggibbon @ Jan 6 2010, 07:25 AM) *

Hi starlagurl

Burma Volunteer Program in Mae Sot costs nothing, pays for visa runs and the host NGO must house the volunteer at no cost to the volunteer. Could you please have someone from the Gibbon Project, which I am certain is quite worthwhile, post a specific answer to Louise's question?
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Paul
post Jan 24 2010, 05:16 AM
Post #6

Navigator

Member No.: 98

Yeah - I would be interested in the cost. The website doesn't say.

I know many organisations need to charge volunteers, because it isn't easy nor free to take care of volunteers. And if a bit extra money gets to the project to keep it running - GREAT.

But, along the lines of Wanding_Mans suggestion - Mae Tao Clinic is a free volunteer option. Again on the Thai Burmese border. It is mainly suitable to medical volunteers, but I reckon it well may be one of the most amazing experiences of your life. Mainly for medical volunteers with a decent period of time to offer. Look it up if you are interested.
http://www.maetaoclinic.org/

(By the way, I'm just going through the NEED website, and Wandering_Man's post from there. Very interesting)
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th July 2014 - 06:11 PM
Top Hotel Destinations in Thailand

Ayutthaya Hotels
Bangkok Hotels
Cha-am Hotels
Chaweng Hotels
Chiang Mai Hotels
Chiang Rai Hotels
Chon Buri Hotels
Hat Yai Hotels
Hua Hin Hotels
Kanchanaburi Hotels
Kathu Hotels
Khao Lak Hotels
Khon Kaen Hotels
Ko Lanta Hotels
Ko Phangan Hotels
Ko Phi Phi Don Hotels
Ko Tao Hotels
Krabi Hotels
Lampang Hotels
Loei Hotels
Mae Hong Son Hotels
Nakorn Ratchasima Hotels
Nakorn Si Thammarat Hotels
Narathiwat Hotels
Nonthaburi Hotels
Pai Hotels
Patong Hotels
Pattaya Hotels
Phangnga Hotels
Phetchaburi Hotels
Phitsanulok Hotels
Rawai Hotels
Rayong Hotels
Songkhla Hotels
Sukhothai Hotels
Surat Thani Hotels
Tak Hotels
Trang Hotels
Trat Hotels
Udon Thani Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.