Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> RISHIKESH
j.m.tenzer
post Jan 9 2008, 05:04 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 123905
Nominate me as a Local Expert

Hello all.

I am hoping to find someone on this forum who may be able to advise me.
My boyfriend and I are travelling to Rishikesh and will be there for the month of February. I will be doing a one month intensive yoga program and will be staying at an ashram, however my boyfriend will be in town by himself. He will be staying at the High Bank Peasants Cottage.

We are both a little apprehensive and wanted to know if anyone had any tips or advice for him in two areas:

1. Neither of us are vaccinated for anything, as we both abide by a holistic routine. Does anyone have any homeopathic/naturopathic tips.

2. Any other advice for Rishikesh, in terms of safety or anything else, would be so helpful.

Wishing you only the best.

Thanks
Jessica
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
starlagurl
post Jan 10 2008, 09:25 AM
Post #2

Rolling Stone

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 103914

My favourite place to start for travel advice is Wikitravel, here is the "stay healthy" entry for India:

http://wikitravel.org/en/India#Stay_healthy

Stay healthy

Avoiding Delhi belly

Four quick tips for keeping your stomach happy:

* Go vegetarian, at least for the first week or two. Meat spoils quickly.
* Avoid raw leafy vegetables. They are hard to clean properly.
* Avoid ice and unbottled water. Both the water in it and the way it's transported are suspect. Try to use exclusively commercially available sealed bottled water.
* Wash hands before eating, with soap. Otherwise the dirt of India's streets will find its way onto your chapatis and into your mouth. In addition, keep nails cut short and clean.

Going to India, you have to adapt to a new climate and new food. Most travellers to India will become at least slightly ill during their stay there - even Indians returning from abroad. However, with precautions the chance and severity of any illness can be minimized. Don't stress yourself too much at the beginning of your journey to allow your body to acclimatize to the country. For example, take a day of rest upon arrival, at least on your first visit. Many travellers get ill for wanting to do too much in too little time. Be careful with spicy food if it is not your daily diet.

No vaccinations are required for entry to India, except for yellow fever if you are coming from an infected area such as Africa. However, Hepatitis (both A and B, depending on your individual circumstances), meningitis and typhoid shots are recommended, as is a booster shot for tetanus.

Tap water is generally not safe for drinking. However, some establishments have water filters/purifiers installed, in which case the water is safe to drink. Packed drinking water (normally called mineral water) is a better choice. But if the seal has been tampered, it could be purified tap water. So always make sure that seal is intact before buying.

Fruits that can be peeled such as apples and bananas, as well as packaged snacks are always a safe option. Do not eat grapes unless you wash them thouroughly.

Diarrhea is common, and can have many different causes. Bring a standard first-aid kit, plus extra over-the-counter medicine for diarrhea and stomach upset. A rehydration kit can also be helpful. At the least, remember the salt/sugar/water ratio for oral rehydration: 1 tsp salt, 8 tsp sugar, for 1 litre of water. Most Indians will happily share their own advice for treatment of illnesses and other problems. A commonly recommended cure-all is to eat boiled rice and curd (yoghurt) together for 3 meals a day until you're better. Keep in mind that this is usually not sound medical advice. Indians have resistance to native bacteria and parasites that visitors do not have. If you have serious diarrhea for more than a day or two, it is best to visit a private hospital. Parasites are a common cause of diarrhea, and may not get better without treatment.

Malaria is endemic throughout India. CDC states that risk exists in all areas, including the cities of Delhi and Mumbai, and at altitudes of less than 2000 metres in Himachal Pradesh, Jammu, Kashmir, and Sikkim; however, the risk of infection is considered low in Delhi and northern India. Get expert advice on malaria preventatives, and take adequate precautions to prevent mosquito bites. Use a mosquito repellent when going outside (particularly during the evenings) and also when sleeping in trains and hotels without airconditioning. A local mosquito repellent used by Indians is Odomos and is available at most stores.

Getting vaccinations and blood transfusions in India increases your risk of contracting HIV/AIDS-even in many private hospitals.

If you need to visit a hospital in India, avoid government hospitals. The quality of treatment is poor. Private hospitals provide better service.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
sharon1306
post Jan 17 2008, 02:46 AM
Post #3

Wayfarer

Member No.: 986

You've got good advice already. Make sure you have an updated tetanus, some good insect repellent spray although you donít need to worry about malaria in the winter months, avoid street food, drink bottled water, eat freshly prepared food and peel your fruit. Donít forget to bring your sense of humor and a lot of patience.

Sharon
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
bloomer
post Jan 22 2008, 07:59 AM
Post #4

Frequent Flyer

Member No.: 1067

They say also to avoid buffet type restaurants because the food sits out: Fly----> poop----> fly---> food---> you! I didn't really worry too much, but I was raised on a farm drinking well water.
To save a ton on "pani bisleri" or bottle water, bring a water filter at least .03 microns, filter your tap water and drink that. The 70 dollars or so for the filter will pay for itself quickly, and you will have the freedom of not having to worry about having safe water. Also it will save on the billions of plastic bottles that litter the whole country.
That said, as I traveled on my motorcycle through the small villages, I ate at lots of dodgy places, and even drank water straight from town wells and never had a problem, But most people, especially city folk don't have the resistance to the many strains of bacteria that are intrinsic to India.
Also part of my plan was to eat curds (yoghurt) every morning. The theory being is that yoghurt strains are particular to the area in which it is made, and helps you get used to the food in each locality.
It is a really good idea to take the typhoid vaccine (3 oral pills) before you go, and the meningitis one doesn't hurt as well. Holistic medicine will not help with these two, and they are deadly if you catch either one.
Also if you have not had measles or mumps as a child, you run a bit of a risk of catching them, I knew a girl who worked in the slums who was never vaccinated for measles and caught it in Delhi. Much more serious as an adult!

--------------------
My travels. Well, some of them anyway.

Josh 13 on myspace

The Solo Me

Alter Ego Oliver Towne

Joshbloomer.com

QUOTE(findingnine @ Feb 21 2007, 05:08 PM) *

Hair of the dog. Make it a lifestyle! :puppeh:
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
wakingdream
post Jan 24 2008, 02:14 PM
Post #5

Rolling Stone

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 13336

Donít forget to bring your sense of humor and a lot of patience.

I've heard this about India continuously and think, from what i know, it's some of the best advice smile.gif

To save a ton on "pani bisleri" or bottle water, bring a water filter at least .03 microns, filter your tap water and drink that. The 70 dollars or so for the filter will pay for itself quickly, and you will have the freedom of not having to worry about having safe water.

This too is terrific advice. It can be so disheartening when you haven't given yourself any other option than buying bottled water. Particularly when, or if, you ever get past where these bottles land in the dumps. Heaps. I haven't seen this in India but in SEA all the time. Bought a filter after my first trip and have taken back with us over the years.

--------------------
~Susie

'Yesterday's the past and tomorrow's the future. Today is a gift - which is why they call it the present.'
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
hotelganesha
post Jan 8 2011, 07:00 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 1613801

cheak new hotel ganesha inn at laxman jhula road ,rishikesh it has heavenly view
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th July 2014 - 04:50 AM
Top Hotel Destinations in India

Agra Hotels
Ahmedabad Hotels
Alappuzha Hotels
Amritsar Hotels
Bangalore Hotels
Bardez Hotels
Bhubaneswar Hotels
Calangute Hotels
Candolim Hotels
Chennai (Madras) Hotels
Darjeeling Hotels
Gangtok Hotels
Goa Hotels
Gurgaon Hotels
Haridwar Hotels
Hyderabad Hotels
Indore Hotels
Jaipur Hotels
Jaisalmer Hotels
Jodhpur Hotels
Kochi Hotels
Kodaikanal Hotels
Kolkata (Calcutta) Hotels
Kovalam Hotels
Manali Hotels
Mumbai (Bombay) Hotels
Munnar Hotels
Mussoorie Hotels
Mysore Hotels
Nainital Hotels
New Delhi Hotels
Ootacamund Hotels
Pondicherry Hotels
Pune Hotels
Salcette Hotels
Shimla Hotels
Srinagar Hotels
Thiruvananthapuram (Trivandrum) Hotels
Udaipur Hotels
Varanasi Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.