Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Wieliczka Salt Mine in Poland
greekcypriot
post Jan 3 2010, 03:23 AM
Post #1

Rolling Stone

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 273790

Planning a trip to Poland? Be sure not to miss this unique monument.

The vast Wieliczka Salt Mine is a monument to what was once a precious commodity
The Wieliczka salt mine, near the medieval city of Kraków, extends over 190 miles in length and drops to a depth of almost 500ft.

Salt was first mined here in the Middle Ages and until recent years it was one of the most precious commodities in the area. The mine stopped producing table salt in 2007 and its interior chambers and passageways are now open to tourists, although the site has attracted visitors since the 16th century.

There are nine levels of galleries, with caves excavated from the granite-grey salt rock and brine lakes glinting in the subterranean gloom. A series of 66 steps carved in the salt form the descent to the Chapel of St Cunegond, a church measuring some 220,000 square feet and displaying chandeliers made out of rock salt. Elsewhere in the labyrinth of passageways, the miners have carved reliefs on the walls.

WATCH THE VIDEO AND FIND OUT MORE INFO ON FLIGHTS AND TRAINS GOING THERE!

http://www.travelpod.com/members/greekcypriot
5500 Photos-videos, 5 blogs, 30 countries!

--------------------
My LATEST BLOGS: Marmari, Vasa, and CYPRUS, the Unique Destination for Business and Holidays!!!

The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page. ~St. Augustine
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
soar
post Jan 4 2010, 06:39 PM
Post #2

Wanderer

Group: Members
Member No.: 631281
Nominate me as a Local Expert

Hi!
I went to Poland last year, and I had a great time!
I stayed in Aston Hostel (aston-hostel.pl) which was a really awesome accomodation and I saw: Wieliczka Salt Mine, Royal Castle, Market Square, Tyniec and Bielany (two locations outside of the city, both monasteries)! It was a great trip!
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
will
post Jan 5 2010, 09:15 PM
Post #3

Expeditionist

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 952

I have to agree, this is one of the more unique tourist attractions Poland has on offer. Worth checking out if you're in Krakow.

--------------------
"I should like to spend my whole life traveling, if only I could borrow another to spend at home" - William Hazlitt

You can see my travelblog here!
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
miika24
post Mar 10 2010, 04:47 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 826421

I've been there too! It's fantastic. I went woth organised tour that I book at the main train station in tourist information centre when I came to Krakow from Budapest. I can surely recomment you the company, I think it called See Krakow or something similar.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
soar
post Mar 31 2010, 03:41 PM
Post #5

Wanderer

Member No.: 631281

QUOTE(svorovsky @ Mar 31 2010, 04:46 AM) *

When have you been to Cracow? It's possible we've met and didn't realize it's us, and maybe it's one of those stories - after some time we meet on this forum, and fall in love, and live together in Cracow, Aston Hostel biggrin.gif hehe. That would be soo funny.
So, when?

Hey! I've also been to Cracow, and to Wieliczka Mine, and I even stayed at this hostel (which is pretty cool place, by the way) and you didn't say anything to me about falling in love! I feel so jealous now sad.gif tongue.gif
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
miika24
post Apr 11 2010, 08:22 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 826421

I checked what company I went to the Salt mine with. It calls SeeKrakow. It was really well organised. You can try them when you want to go there smile.gif
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
anunia1985
post Jun 21 2011, 07:30 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 1938101

If you are already in Poland You should visit the salt mine. Definitely. Besides, Krakow and Oswiecim. This is all near each other, and I can not imagine that you are on the south Poland , didn't saw these wonderful places.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th August 2014 - 02:15 AM
Top Hotel Destinations

Acapulco Hotels
Atlanta Hotels
Austin Hotels
Beijing Hotels
Cancun Hotels
Charlotte Hotels
Chicago Hotels
Dallas Hotels
Denver Hotels
Honolulu Hotels
Houston Hotels
Indianapolis Hotels
Kissimmee Hotels
Las Vegas Hotels
London Hotels
Los Angeles Hotels
Mexico City Hotels
Miami Hotels
Miami Beach Hotels
Montreal Hotels
Myrtle Beach Hotels
Nashville Hotels
Negril Hotels
New Orleans Hotels
New York City Hotels
Orlando Hotels
Paris Hotels
Phoenix Hotels
Playa del Carmen Hotels
Puerto Plata Hotels
Puerto Vallarta Hotels
Punta Cana Hotels
Rome Hotels
San Antonio Hotels
San Diego Hotels
San Francisco Hotels
Seattle Hotels
Tampa Hotels
Toronto Hotels
Washington DC Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.