Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The endless debate on the Canadian flag patch
wakingdream
post Feb 4 2008, 02:28 PM
Post #21

Rolling Stone

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 13336

Maybe Canadians travel abroad more often?

I have read that percentage wise more Canadians have passports. I read some time ago that some crazy-high percent of Americans don't have passports and don't leave the country. This could be for a number of reasons....anyone know the stats?

--------------------
~Susie

'Yesterday's the past and tomorrow's the future. Today is a gift - which is why they call it the present.'
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
revelstoke
post Feb 4 2008, 04:58 PM
Post #22

Group: Members
Member No.: 87593
Nominate me as a Local Expert

I'm with Petra8Vancouver on the debate so far... I also do not wear a canadian patch because I too want to blend in. I do like to visit the main attractions but I also like to see where the locals live, eat and shop so I'm often venturing off the beaten path. I prefer not to be an obvious tourist for this reason. Some places make that more diffucult than others but in many places, there are expats who live there so it's not far fetched that someone of a different skin colour, who dresses differently or speaks differently is actually NOT a tourist. When asked of course, I will gladly and proudly state that I'm Canadian and it is often followed by a surprised smile followed by something about it being really far away or really cold... or both. smile.gif

I do find that people assume at first that I'm American, which I don't mind, because in conversation that is quickly rectified and you get asked A LOT "where you from?" I've never experienced a situation where I was not treated well and then once they discovered I'm not American, the service magically improved... however I've heard from other travelers that this does occur on occasion. I have personally noted on a few occasions however, certain American travelers being treated rather badly by OTHER travelers, which I find sad and that it only perpetuates a divide.

I have family and friends who live in almost every part of Canada and have also travelled quite a bit all over the US so I am quite familiar with the many many differnet accents heard around the continent. That has made picking out American tourists sporting the Canadian patch pretty easy on a few occasions... lol... However, I had the chance to ask one couple about it and they were a little embarrased at first but admitted that they were first-time travelers going on the advice of someone at home. They were near the end of their trip and had found that it actually added some discomfort during their travels because when a conversation did arise they either had to lie about where they were from or confess about the patch. They had decided that next time they would just not bother with a patch at all and see if it makes a difference in terms of service or friendliness. I have a feeling that Canada patch is going to be permanently retired.

I also have met far more Americans abroad than Canadians (most of whom were kind and friendly people by the way) so I would concur that since they have 10 times our population it only makes sense that they have far more tourists out and about than we do, even if our per capita numbers are higher.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
thellie
post Feb 4 2008, 07:32 PM
Post #23

Pathfinder

Member No.: 13877

in thailand, or i should say up here in the north, we see very few americans. lots of canadians though. i would go with the fact that only 8% or so of americans have passports - this would bring the potential tourist numbers much closer between the two countries. of these 8%, i would imagine a large number are refraining from travelling, especially to the more 'exotic' destinations because of the current foreign policies of their homeland.
most americans and canadians i have met on my travels (with one very notable exception) are fine. far too loud (i'm not on the other side of the room, so WHY are you shouting?), but fine smile.gif
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
starlagurl
post Feb 5 2008, 09:50 AM
Post #24

Rolling Stone

Member No.: 103914

Some stats I found, they seem to say that Canadians travel internationally more than Americans, I'm confused. I didn't think the numbers would be this close, but I suppose they are including Canadian car traffic to the U.S.

Canadian residents took an estimated 606,000 trips to overseas countries in May. This is only the third month since record-keeping began in 1972 that the number of trips overseas by Canadians crossed the 600,000 mark. All three months occurred in 2007. (Unless otherwise specified, monthly data are seasonally adjusted.)

Overall, Canadians took nearly 4 million trips abroad, an increase of 0.7% over April.

http://www.statcan.ca/Daily/English/070719/d070719c.htm

American residents took 3,669,047 international trips in May, 2007, the same month.

http://tinet.ita.doc.gov/view/m-2007-O-001/index.html

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
wakingdream
post Feb 5 2008, 10:32 AM
Post #25

Rolling Stone

QUOTE(thellie @ Feb 4 2008, 07:32 PM) *

in thailand, or i should say up here in the north, we see very few americans. lots of canadians though. i would go with the fact that only 8% or so of americans have passports - this would bring the potential tourist numbers much closer between the two countries. of these 8%, i would imagine a large number are refraining from travelling, especially to the more 'exotic' destinations because of the current foreign policies of their homeland.

Yeah, that 8% sure does ring a bell. So infact, though there are plenty more Americans, I don't think there are that many more that travel than Canadians. Still interested in finding out those stats, just out of curiosity....

most americans and canadians i have met on my travels (with one very notable exception) are fine. far too loud (i'm not on the other side of the room, so WHY are you shouting?), but fine smile.gif

Haha, really? I come from a European family and I have never met any other people who are more LOUD than these people who are practically screaming when they ask you to pass the butter smile.gif

Really, I think the bigger point in this whole thread is that people who are open to traveling are generally quite open minded, free-spirited, thoughtful and kind, no matter where they're from. We've all met 'that' jack*$$ ( or a few), haven't we? And I bet in each situation that jack*$$ was from many places 'round the world.

--------------------
~Susie

'Yesterday's the past and tomorrow's the future. Today is a gift - which is why they call it the present.'
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
travellingjon
post May 7 2008, 08:24 PM
Post #26

Nomad

Member No.: 111680

Just wanted to say, no need to have a Canadian patch when speaking French tongue.gif

We Quebecers are often confused with Belgians, when travelling to Europe. They say the accent is almost the same, so I used to have my Québec flag somewhere near to prove them I'm not from Brussels, des fois !
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
starlagurl
post May 8 2008, 09:17 AM
Post #27

Rolling Stone

Really, fascinating...I wonder why...must be because you're all hicks...ha

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
findingnine
post May 8 2008, 09:39 AM
Post #28

Rolling Stone

Member No.: 14300

You're a bully! tongue.gif

(Would they even know what a Quebec flag was?)

--------------------
This is all I got.
I couldn't make this up
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
starlagurl
post May 8 2008, 10:17 AM
Post #29

Rolling Stone

EVERYONE knows what the fleur de lis is!!! Come ON.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
travellingjon
post May 8 2008, 10:20 AM
Post #30

Nomad

Member No.: 111680

In France, they know what it was... well at least three people out of four.

And yeah, we're all hicks all right... blink.gif

User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
polydemic
post Aug 21 2008, 09:19 PM
Post #31

Tourist

Member No.: 212482

I've got the Canadian flag on my luggage (& I'm not even Canadian) so that terrorists won't target me. crazy.gif

--------------------
All the earth is my home and each nation a different room in the same house.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
starlagurl
post Aug 25 2008, 10:05 AM
Post #32

Rolling Stone

QUOTE(travellingjon @ May 8 2008, 11:20 AM) *

In France, they know what it was... well at least three people out of four.

And yeah, we're all hicks all right... blink.gif

Haha, Jon, you know I love you

QUOTE(polydemic @ Aug 21 2008, 10:19 PM) *

I've got the Canadian flag on my luggage (& I'm not even Canadian) so that terrorists won't target me. crazy.gif

You are from Seattle, so you are American?
Do you really think it keeps you safe from terrorists? I don't know... I think just acting like a Westerner could make you a target, Canadian flag patch or not...

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
wakingdream
post Feb 19 2009, 09:38 AM
Post #33

Rolling Stone

i like seeing other cultures so i choose to travel quite a bit but many americans just didnt see the need since we could do just about everything we wanted with out having to do the passport.

but that's just it. What you want to do and what you want to experience can be very different things.

As I have found, there aren't as many Americans as one might think that wish to experience another culture but their own. For such an advanced society, that's slightly bothersome......that being said, a large majority of Americans a make up membership on Travelpod, but they still make up a small percentage of American travelers in the big picture.

Most of the Americans I have met on the road are fantastic people. I find that the Americans that do want to experience something outside of their comfort zone are really incredible, open-minded, adventurous and thoughtful people.

canadians seem to be the only ones who feel the need to advertise it.

Yeah, we quietly rival Americans in patriotism. We don't necessarily say it out loud but we do like to show it smile.gif

--------------------
~Susie

User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 14th September 2014 - 11:18 PM
Top Hotel Destinations in Canada

Banff Hotels
Calgary Hotels
Canmore Hotels
Charlottetown Hotels
Edmonton Hotels
Fredericton Hotels
Gatineau Hotels
Grande Prairie Hotels
Halifax Hotels
Hamilton Hotels
Jasper Hotels
Kamloops Hotels
Kelowna Hotels
Kingston Hotels
Laval Hotels
London Hotels
Markham Hotels
Mississauga Hotels
Moncton Hotels
Mont Tremblant Hotels
Montreal Hotels
Niagara Falls Hotels
Niagara-on-the-Lake Hotels
North York Hotels
Ottawa Hotels
Penticton Hotels
Quebec City Hotels
Red Deer Hotels
Regina Hotels
Richmond Hotels
Saskatoon Hotels
St. John's Hotels
Sudbury Hotels
Surrey Hotels
Toronto Hotels
Vancouver Hotels
Victoria Hotels
Whistler Hotels
Windsor Hotels
Winnipeg Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.