Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Resort Koh Tao
pascal1972
post Jan 1 2010, 08:18 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 620031

Dear all,

In a month from now we will be leaving for a trip to Thailand for three weeks. A.o. we will spend a week on Koh Tao, and do some snorkling and diving.

Can you recommend some nice resorts to stay (and dive)? Pref. on the south or east of Koh Tao, since the west is to crowded. A nice resort, not too expensive, luxury average (we do not required much luxury, just a nice place to sleep and eat, pref near the beach in a bungalow or so yes.gif ).

Thank you!!
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
travelingdiva
post Jan 4 2010, 01:50 AM
Post #2

Explorer

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 201752

QUOTE(pascal1972 @ Jan 1 2010, 09:18 AM) *

Dear all,

In a month from now we will be leaving for a trip to Thailand for three weeks. A.o. we will spend a week on Koh Tao, and do some snorkling and diving.

Can you recommend some nice resorts to stay (and dive)? Pref. on the south or east of Koh Tao, since the west is to crowded. A nice resort, not too expensive, luxury average (we do not required much luxury, just a nice place to sleep and eat, pref near the beach in a bungalow or so yes.gif ).

Thank you!!

Hi pascal, and welcome to travelpod!

The reason the west side is "crowded" is because it is really the only inhabited part of the island. Much of the island is uninhabitable. Take a look at a satellite image of the island and you should see what I mean.

The only part of the east side that I am aware of with accomodation is Shark Bay. Here you can go snorkeling at see lots of reef sharks. At the south end of the island is Chalok Bay, which is quieter than Sairee so maybe that's the place you're looking for. I have only stayed in resorts on Sairee Beach, so unfortunately I can't recommend specific resorts anywhere else on the island.

Ko Tao isn't a great place for diving (though the best in the Gulf of Thailand), but it is a great place for learning to dive. You will see a ton of dive shops in Sairee Beach and some in Mae Head as well. They also offer day trips out for licensed divers if you are already certified. But if you are already certified, I would recommend the Andaman Sea for diving. The Similan Islands are great!

--------------------

Local Travel Expert for Switzerland
Read about my life abroad
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
alffredangelo
post Dec 23 2011, 05:34 PM
Post #3

Drifter

Member No.: 2389033

QUOTE(nealinthailand @ Nov 25 2010, 01:50 AM) *

if you go to the more secluded spots you will find yourself paying a fortune for taxi's to get some dinner or go to a beach or go diving. i would not stay at one of the super secluded guesthouses.......coming from someone who lived there for 3 years

Those Taxi & Tuk Tuk guys really rip you off

P.S (i know its old post but can't refrain from saying the truth wink.gif)
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
pascal1972
post Dec 24 2011, 05:36 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 620031

Dear all,

Short feedback:
We ended up at Chalok Baan bay, the south of the island. Rather laidback and chill, and not as crowded as the west coast. Also the Ezy Bar was a great place to hang out, nice beer, good musci, eithee on the beach itself or at the bar.
And id u do wanna go shopping, just grab a pich up, and go to the west coast.

So when going to Koh Tao, Imwojls recommend the south coast. Less shopping and crowded, more chill and easy going..

Cheers!
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
alffredangelo
post Jan 9 2012, 06:24 PM
Post #5

Drifter

Member No.: 2389033

QUOTE(pascal1972 @ Dec 24 2011, 05:36 AM) *

Dear all,

Short feedback:
We ended up at Chalok Baan bay, the south of the island. Rather laidback and chill, and not as crowded as the west coast. Also the Ezy Bar was a great place to hang out, nice beer, good musci, eithee on the beach itself or at the bar.
And id u do wanna go shopping, just grab a pich up, and go to the west coast.

So when going to Koh Tao, Imwojls recommend the south coast. Less shopping and crowded, more chill and easy going..

Cheers!

Thanks for the feedback my friend.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 31st July 2014 - 11:39 PM
Top Hotel Destinations in Thailand

Ayutthaya Hotels
Bangkok Hotels
Cha-am Hotels
Chaweng Hotels
Chiang Mai Hotels
Chiang Rai Hotels
Chon Buri Hotels
Hat Yai Hotels
Hua Hin Hotels
Kanchanaburi Hotels
Kathu Hotels
Khao Lak Hotels
Khon Kaen Hotels
Ko Lanta Hotels
Ko Phangan Hotels
Ko Phi Phi Don Hotels
Ko Tao Hotels
Krabi Hotels
Lampang Hotels
Loei Hotels
Mae Hong Son Hotels
Nakorn Ratchasima Hotels
Nakorn Si Thammarat Hotels
Narathiwat Hotels
Nonthaburi Hotels
Pai Hotels
Patong Hotels
Pattaya Hotels
Phangnga Hotels
Phetchaburi Hotels
Phitsanulok Hotels
Rawai Hotels
Rayong Hotels
Songkhla Hotels
Sukhothai Hotels
Surat Thani Hotels
Tak Hotels
Trang Hotels
Trat Hotels
Udon Thani Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.