Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

> Driving into Vienam
klf1307
post Dec 31 2009, 05:39 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 618311

Hello everyone!

I'm hoping someone here can help....

A friend and me are driving from the UK to Australia next year. Our route is through Europe, crossing into Russia from Finland, then into China. Our plan is then to drive into Vietnam to tour south east asia before driving down to East Timor and shipping the Landy / flying ourselves to Oz.

I know that Vietnam has recently begun allowing right hand drive cars (ie British which is what our Landy is) to be imported and driven, but they don't recognise the Carnet (we know about needing a Vietnamese driving license)

Is it possible to get a private foreign car into Vietnam from China? Has it been done by anyone? What do you suppose the chances are? I did hear a rumour from several years ago of a car with British plates in Vietnam but only as a brief passing reference in a blog.

Failing Plan A as above, Plan B would be to drive into Laos instead.... If this is the case, can we then drive into Vietnam?

As a last resort Plan C would be to find somewhere safe for the Landy and leave him in Laos and cross into Vietnam by train / bus / taxi / whatever but this is the least desirable for safety of the car, not to mention the frustration of having a car and not being able to use him.

Any help is very much appreciated!

Thank you smile.gif

User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 1)
starlagurl
post Dec 31 2009, 10:28 AM
Post #2

Rolling Stone

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 103914

So, you're saying every other country BUT Vietnam will allow you to bring your UK car into their borders?

I will have a look around and see if I can find anything.

It seems like your best bet would be contacting the UK embassy in Vietnam though...

--------------------
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 31st July 2014 - 12:50 AM
Top Hotel Destinations in Vietnam

Ben Tre Hotels
Buon Ma Thuot Hotels
Can Tho Hotels
Cao Lahn Hotels
Cat Ba Hotels
Chau Doc Hotels
Da Nang Hotels
Dalat Hotels
Dien Bien Phu Hotels
Dong Ha Hotels
Dong Hoi Hotels
Gia Nghia Hotels
Ha Tien Hotels
Haiphong Hotels
Halong Bay Hotels
Hanoi Hotels
Ho Chi Minh City Hotels
Hoi An Hotels
Hue Hotels
Khanh Hai Hotels
Kontum Hotels
Lai Chau Hotels
Lao Cai Hotels
Long Hai Hotels
Mui Ne Hotels
My Tho Hotels
Nha Trang Hotels
Ninh Binh Hotels
Ninh Phuoc Hotels
Phan Rang-Thap Cham Hotels
Phan Thiet Hotels
Quang Ngai Hotels
Quy Nhon Hotels
Rach Gia Hotels
Sapa Hotels
Soc Trang Hotels
Tuyen Quang Hotels
Vinh Long Hotels
Vung Tau Hotels
Yen Bai Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.