Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Tahiti...
andrea
post Jan 1 2008, 12:27 PM
Post #1

Globetrotter

Group: Members
Member No.: 2
Nominate me as a Local Expert

... looks so beautiful! Anyone have stories to share?
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
shockleytravels
post Apr 9 2008, 03:18 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 120265

We just returned from Tahiti about 30 days ago. It is indeed very beautiful. we spent 2 days at the Intercontinental on Papeete Tahita and then boarded the Starclippers "Star Flyer" sailing ship for 7 days around the islands. When we returned we stayed at the Intercontinental another 3 days.

If you go I would not advise flying Air Tahiti...it is the worse airline I have every travled on... brush up on your French becuase most people speak french ... and it is incredible expensive... more so than what the books tell you.

We had weather around 92-95 degrees with 85% humidity... for me I loved it.... others may not like that combination. We had no rain but could see the rain squalls out in the ocean.

Our favorite islands were Bora Bora, Riatea and Tahaa'a... We didn't like Papeete at all. I wouldn't go back.

I have pictures posted on my blog check it out...

Jeanne
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
wherenext
post Jul 30 2008, 07:31 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 39530

QUOTE(andrea @ Jan 1 2008, 12:27 PM) *

I went in 2002 and I refused to do it as a hotel room number. More in a clean backpaker style.
I did it from island to island (5) , from pension to pension, without any reservation ahead.
I had a great time with true local people inviting me to local festivals, to jump on a boat to go to the other side of a motu, to be invited to a local BBQ (their style).
People most of the time harbour of smile and a music is part of their life.
I had a "coup de coeur" and fully intend to go back.

I saw some american tourist illtreating a french salesgirl in the Bora Bora postcard shop for no reason at all and you can understand while on that island the local are more blazzé about visitors....who can blame them (I am fluent in French)

My favourite island was Moorea where the local mayor decided to have all the electrical posts and wiring put underground, the island looks fantastic.
Rangiroa was so laid back.....
Paupiti was a touch quiet...
Where ever you go, do not forget though that there is not the physical ground space to grow all the vegetables you are used to ; whatever is sold is mainly imported and if that is the case it will be expensive, local products of different taste and texture are cheaper.

Never have to say " I wish I had" , so just go ahead and do it, remembering that the best way to enjoy a new destination is to see it "their way" rather than "your way" and to remain humble.
Have fun !
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
troispistoles
post Jul 30 2008, 09:33 AM
Post #4

Nomad

Member No.: 5385

QUOTE(wherenext @ Jul 30 2008, 08:31 AM) *

QUOTE(andrea @ Jan 1 2008, 12:27 PM) *

I went in 2002 and I refused to do it as a hotel room number. More in a clean backpaker style.
I did it from island to island (5) , from pension to pension, without any reservation ahead.
I had a great time with true local people inviting me to local festivals, to jump on a boat to go to the other side of a motu, to be invited to a local BBQ (their style).
People most of the time harbour of smile and a music is part of their life.
I had a "coup de coeur" and fully intend to go back.

I saw some american tourist illtreating a french salesgirl in the Bora Bora postcard shop for no reason at all and you can understand while on that island the local are more blazzé about visitors....who can blame them (I am fluent in French)

My favourite island was Moorea where the local mayor decided to have all the electrical posts and wiring put underground, the island looks fantastic.
Rangiroa was so laid back.....
Paupiti was a touch quiet...
Where ever you go, do not forget though that there is not the physical ground space to grow all the vegetables you are used to ; whatever is sold is mainly imported and if that is the case it will be expensive, local products of different taste and texture are cheaper.

Never have to say " I wish I had" , so just go ahead and do it, remembering that the best way to enjoy a new destination is to see it "their way" rather than "your way" and to remain humble.
Have fun !

That's the way to travel!

I spent all my time on Moorea, on a "cheap" camping, it was great! I loved the way the locals were wearing flowers on their ears, not hard to believe as there were hundreds of those flowers on the ground.

I thought everybody was really nice... a real paradise island!
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
justtin
post Feb 3 2010, 01:44 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 379171

I spent all my time on Moorea, on a "cheap" camping, it was great! I loved the way the locals were wearing flowers on their ears, not hard to believe as there were hundreds of those flowers on the ground.

Hi,
I am going to French Polynesia in March for a few weeks.....am taking all my camping gear to make it as cheap as I can. Could you let me know where you camped and how much the pŕice was at the time?
Thanks smile.gif
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th August 2014 - 12:33 PM
Top Hotel Destinations in Tahiti

Arue Hotels
Faa'a Hotels
Mahina Hotels
Papeete Hotels
Pirae Hotels
Punaauia Hotels
Tahiti Hotels
Teahupoo Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.