Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Benazir Bhutto Assassinated
wakingdream
post Dec 27 2007, 02:51 PM
Post #1

Rolling Stone

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 13336

Woke up to some very bad news; the assassination of Pakistan's beloved Benazir Bhutto.

Although her return to Pakistan sparked a lot of controversy, she truly loved her people and strived to make change for a better life for all Pakistanis.

I think in some ways she welcomed death, and knew what a major impact it would make on the people of Pakistan, possibly evoking long-awaited and needed change.

Many blame Musharraf for failing to provide adequate security. I have to wonder why a women facing so many death threats would stand up into an open car skylight......? But then, martyrdom is a very powerful thing in Islam.

I feel particularly saddened by her death b/c she obviously cared so much. Any thoughts guys?

BBC News Article

IPB Image

--------------------
~Susie

'Yesterday's the past and tomorrow's the future. Today is a gift - which is why they call it the present.'
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
thellie
post Dec 27 2007, 06:52 PM
Post #2

Pathfinder

Group: Members
Member No.: 13877
Nominate me as a Local Expert

it's a great shame, but hardly a surprise. i would be amazed if it was sanctioned by musharif as the consequences for him (and pakistan) will probably be disasterous.

she comes from a family in the same mould as the gandhis in india, and politics was a world she was born into and couldn't escape. i hope for pakistan's sake that her death doesn't spark riots and civil unrest (and worse), but i expect nothing less.

if musharif is to stay in power he'll have to show his true colours now in the face of opposition, because there can be no more hiding behind the flag of his so-called democracy.

today, my thoughts go to the bhutto family. tomorrow they go out to the tens, hundreds and possibly thousands of pakistanis who will lose their lives in the aftermath.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
wakingdream
post Dec 29 2007, 11:05 AM
Post #3

Rolling Stone

today, my thoughts go to the bhutto family. tomorrow they go out to the tens, hundreds and possibly thousands of pakistanis who will lose their lives in the aftermath.

Many of her supporters are doing the exact opposite of what she would have wanted. The aftermath death tolls keep rising and here are all these Pakistanis, waging a war that will really just fall back onto themselves. I'm definitely no political expert but it seems to me the implosion has begun. Bhutto has been martyred, and perhaps that was more important to her than anything but I could really see her struggling to make positive change in the country.

There's something just so shady about it all. On the news these Pakistani officials kept saying how they gave her more security than any other in her position. What a joke. Is that like the practically none existent security they offered her father?

And Bush, don't get me started! He's already spewed off about how this has breached agreements with Pakistan. Um, okay, so you made these agreements with terrorists that cannot ever be controlled by their government. Gimme a break.Just another excuse to step in and impose his 'ideals' on a Middle Eastern country. Oh, let's force them into democracy, that'll be great. That'll really work. Hmmm, 9/11 all over again?

I say 'we' stop meddling with other countries. It's about time, no? Helping them is one thing, but the word "help" is being completely misused and misappropriated.

--------------------
~Susie

'Yesterday's the past and tomorrow's the future. Today is a gift - which is why they call it the present.'
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
lraleigh
post Feb 6 2008, 12:26 PM
Post #4

Explorer

Group: Members
Member No.: 212
Nominate me as a Local Expert

Pakistan needs friends right now.

Bhutto's heart was in the right place, but she was a controvertial figure. I was in Pakistan when she returned and remember many a conversation about politics in Pakistan--in minivans, in the streets, with many people. Some loved her, some hated her (typical of most politicians). Some felt as she was just a figurehead, with her husband the true politician behind it all (notice how he's emerged and still stands behind the "figurehead" of his son at this point).

The big problem in the west is how we always hear in the media and through the politicians the following (give or take a few words):

Osama Bin Laden et al are training and hiding in the lawless border regions of Pakistan, near the Afghanistan border and the Pakistani government can't do anything about it or is incompetent."

The thing they won't tell you is that these border regions are Pashtun regions, belonging ethnically more to Afghanistan. They were divided like that because of the British strategic boundaries of their Empire in the "Great Game". The areas have their own laws and Pakistan respects them as autonomous, with their own militias.

That is why Pakistan cannot do anything and that the situation there is very difficult. Definitely the worst thing the US could do would be to send ANYONE there. In Peshawar I saw what they did to some US spies: suicide bombed them, along with the innocent bystanders.

Mr. Bush, if you read Travelpod, don't do it...it's stupid!!!!

Bhutto, rest in peace.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
wakingdream
post Feb 6 2008, 04:00 PM
Post #5

Rolling Stone

Bhutto's heart was in the right place, but she was a controvertial figure.

I think as I read more, from very different sources, I started to realize this. Naively at first I thought there was a lot more love but started to realize how many people out there did not love her, or alloted her very harsh criticism.

I've been having this little imaginary love affair with Pakistan for quite some time now. I've read your travelogs and others too, and am so fascinated, intrigued by the people and places. I'd love to go there,and at some point I know I will, and really experience it for myself because this is the problem, not being able to experience it for myself and make mind own distinctions and thoughts. Carve my own way through the country and learn along the way. They say curiosity killed the cat but I say its curiosity that made the cat a wiser being smile.gif

--------------------
~Susie

User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th August 2014 - 11:56 AM
Top Hotel Destinations in Pakistan

Bhurban Hotels
Chitral Hotels
Faisalabad Hotels
Gilgit Hotels
Gujranwala Hotels
Gwadar Hotels
Hunza Hotels
Hyderabad Hotels
Islamabad Hotels
Karachi Hotels
Khaplu Hotels
Lahore Hotels
Larkana Hotels
Minapin Hotels
Multan Hotels
Murree Hotels
Muzaffarabad Hotels
Nathia Gali Hotels
Peshawar Hotels
Punjab Hotels
Quetta Hotels
Rawalakot Hotels
Rawalpindi Hotels
Saidu Hotels
Skardu Hotels
Tarishing Hotels
Wah Cantt Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.