Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Palm Island, Dubai
wakingdream
post Dec 21 2007, 04:04 PM
Post #1

Rolling Stone

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 13336

I've been reading about Palm Island in Dubai. Holy cow.

IPB Image

Pretty wild!

Dubai seems like a mega-destination, a lot like Vegas, or Macau minus all the gambling yet built like a dream-world, totally surreal. Local Emirati total 22%, making 88% of the population foreign. So, do you think the culture will dwindle from intriguing Bedouin roots to mega-tourism and a country filled with Westerners? Has it already?

Development shows no signs of slowing down. The Iraq war doesn't seem to be having any affects on tourism. Yet. Have to say the lesser known emirates like Fujairah and Al Ain seem interesting and are considered "secrets" of the UAE. Wonder how long before they too explode. All the emirates are in a race to start catching up and stop relying financially on their big brothers.

Thoughts? Would you visit? Does it seem interesting or just way too commercial?

--------------------
~Susie

'Yesterday's the past and tomorrow's the future. Today is a gift - which is why they call it the present.'
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
rbisset
post Dec 22 2007, 05:27 AM
Post #2

Planet Pioneer

Member No.: 692

I think the world islands are even more amazing than the palm islands!

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
branefatboy
post Dec 24 2007, 06:51 AM
Post #3

Nomad

Group: Members
Member No.: 112172
Nominate me as a Local Expert

wow
i'm watching on google earth now the islands
who knowns aften 10 years what will they build
amazing
i love to live there

--------------------
come onnn
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
branefatboy
post Dec 24 2007, 07:16 AM
Post #4

Nomad

COME ON LETS GO THERE

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

--------------------
come onnn
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
starlagurl
post Dec 24 2007, 09:06 AM
Post #5

Rolling Stone

Member No.: 103914

A friend of mine used to work there and she says, if you want to make money, it's the best place to go. There is just an insane amount of money gushing all over the place, pun intended...

I'm not sure that's my bag....

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
branefatboy
post Dec 24 2007, 12:08 PM
Post #6

Nomad

QUOTE(starlagurl @ Dec 24 2007, 09:06 AM) *

A friend of mine used to work there and she says, if you want to make money, it's the best place to go. There is just an insane amount of money gushing all over the place, pun intended...

ask him what sallary are they paying per day
for example construction worker

--------------------
come onnn
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
wakingdream
post Dec 25 2007, 02:52 PM
Post #7

Rolling Stone

no, me either......too, I dunno, commercial I guess.

--------------------
~Susie

'Yesterday's the past and tomorrow's the future. Today is a gift - which is why they call it the present.'
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
ScottWoz
post Dec 25 2007, 08:11 PM
Post #8

Rolling Stone

Member No.: 124

What, the money or the palm shape thingy?

--------------------
Woz..

Living on a string of one-way tickets - currently kicking about in: southern Cambodia
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
rbisset
post Dec 26 2007, 06:26 AM
Post #9

Planet Pioneer

Member No.: 692

Dubai is going all out for tourism, basically getting ready for when the oil runs out. I read in the paper the other day that they are going to open a "Jurassic Park" with life-size anamatronic animals not real ones. Add to that the tallest building in the world, indoor ski slope and the crazy islands.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
wakingdream
post Dec 27 2007, 11:35 AM
Post #10

Rolling Stone

QUOTE(ScottWoz @ Dec 25 2007, 08:11 PM) *

What, the money or the palm shape thingy?

Not the Palm Island, although that's quite an outrageous feat! Dubai just seems so commercial. I'm sure the culture is fascinating but really, what kind of cultural experience can you have when only 20% of the population is local and most of the 80% are Western? I'm not trying to slag it, it's just not for me b/c I travel for culture, first and foremost. Not saying always , but 85-90% so. I've never really been into those "Disney Word-type" fantasy lands, which is what the emirates-it seems-are striving to be. I want to meet new, different and interesting people, and see beautiful geography/topography.

But hey, some people who want to get away just want to have the ultimate relaxing experience, with little hassle and tons of entertainment. Fair enough.To each his/her own.

I do have to say that the geography seems quite beautiful. The mountains, sand dunes and desert landscapes but I'm afraid even all that will be covered up by some other ambitious project.

I read in the paper the other day that they are going to open a "Jurassic Park" with life-size anamatronic animals not real ones.

Whoa. See what I mean? I think one of the best things about the UAE are all the souks (markets) many which still seem very traditional.

--------------------
~Susie

User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
introducinlyric
post Mar 13 2008, 09:35 PM
Post #11

Rolling Stone

Member No.: 56605

i would definately visit - dubai is on my list of places to visit i particularly wana stay at the Burj Al Arab hotel
Palm Islands is amazing. i saw a doco on the construction on it and it was fascinating especially as alot of workers abandoned the project becasue of sept 11 attacks and feared their own safety in dubai. how they actually built the islands is a feat in itself and i would ignore the commerciality factor and lap it up !!!!

--------------------
Do You Want The Truth or Something Beautiful?
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
wakingdream
post Mar 14 2008, 09:09 AM
Post #12

Rolling Stone

how they actually built the islands is a feat in itself and i would ignore the commerciality factor and lap it up !!!!

there is some amazing motivation, innovation and altogether terrific urban organization going on there. It really is completely fascinating. Dubai, and lots of parts of UAE actually, arelike there own little social experiments.

--------------------
~Susie

User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
garsizzle
post Mar 14 2008, 11:51 AM
Post #13

Member No.: 69361

Dubai is a sweet place, but look out for Abu Dhabi!! Getting ready to take the fame from Dubai and for a lot of reasons. I know, i live here...
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
wakingdream
post Mar 14 2008, 01:32 PM
Post #14

Rolling Stone

QUOTE(garsizzle @ Mar 14 2008, 12:51 PM) *

Dubai is a sweet place, but look out for Abu Dhabi!! Getting ready to take the fame from Dubai and for a lot of reasons. I know, i live here...

Yeah, Abu Dhabi's been gearing up with some big changes from what I've read. Must be an interesting place to live. How long you been there?

--------------------
~Susie

User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
introducinlyric
post Mar 14 2008, 06:00 PM
Post #15

Rolling Stone

ive heard Abu Dhabi's having some major changes that will apparently rival Dubai but what are they?? and will Abu Dhabi become as commercial as Dubai?

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
introducinlyric
post Mar 14 2008, 06:02 PM
Post #16

Rolling Stone

QUOTE(wakingdream @ Mar 14 2008, 09:09 AM) *

how they actually built the islands is a feat in itself and i would ignore the commerciality factor and lap it up !!!!

there is some amazing motivation, innovation and altogether terrific urban organization going on there. It really is completely fascinating. Dubai, and lots of parts of UAE actually, arelike there own little social experiments.

that is true , Dubai is kind of a rich man's playground - although i do hope they stop soon or else it will become ridiculous

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
wakingdream
post Mar 15 2008, 04:42 PM
Post #17

Rolling Stone

that is true , Dubai is kind of a rich man's playground - although i do hope they stop soon or else it will become ridiculous

Totally agreed. And is it greed? What is the driving force? In some ways I think it's greed, in other ways i think it's setting out to prove how innovative and successful they can be. What do you think? Does the driving force always have to be money?

--------------------
~Susie

User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
introducinlyric
post Mar 15 2008, 08:06 PM
Post #18

Rolling Stone

QUOTE(wakingdream @ Mar 15 2008, 04:42 PM) *

Totally agreed. And is it greed? What is the driving force? In some ways I think it's greed, in other ways i think it's setting out to prove how innovative and successful they can be. What do you think? Does the driving force always have to be money?

greed definately plays its part.
From the doco i saw on Palm Islands the prince of Dubai wanted to build all these attractions to secure the countrie's financial future by insuring tourists bring money into the country as in so many years the oil industry wont provide the wealth it once did - which i think is a great idea however i think a bit of ego trippin is occuring and they are now motivated by how successful and innovative they can be. Almost as though trying to turn Dubai into this OTT opulent playground which so far theyre succeeding.
I think Dubai is great as it is now with the Burj Al Arab and Palm Islands. Nothing more needs or should be added to it, like i said i think it will just become a joke. I think countries should have a cap on how much they can build/construct - to keep elements of authenticity and protect its surrounding enviroments

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
wakingdream
post Mar 16 2008, 09:39 AM
Post #19

Rolling Stone

Almost as though trying to turn Dubai into this OTT opulent playground which so far theyre succeeding.
I think Dubai is great as it is now with the Burj Al Arab and Palm Islands. Nothing more needs or should be added to it, like i said i think it will just become a joke. I think countries should have a cap on how much they can build/construct - to keep elements of authenticity and protect its surrounding enviroments

It's like adding those extra few ingredients ruined the original recipe. It isn't what Dubai is now that kind of freaks me out in an over-the-top-way, because I think it would actually be cool to be able to see what they've done with my won eyes, especially the islands, the Burj and a few other things. It's what it seems like it's becoming that's more scary! I would also be pretty interested in visiting the more low-key emirates like Umm Al Quwain and Al Fujairah and Ajman seems cool too. Better make it there before crazy construction starts happening! smile.gif

--------------------
~Susie

User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
introducinlyric
post Mar 16 2008, 04:56 PM
Post #20

Rolling Stone

QUOTE(wakingdream @ Mar 16 2008, 09:39 AM) *

Almost as though trying to turn Dubai into this OTT opulent playground which so far theyre succeeding.

It's like adding those extra few ingredients ruined the original recipe. It isn't what Dubai is now that kind of freaks me out in an over-the-top-way, because I think it would actually be cool to be able to see what they've done with my won eyes, especially the islands, the Burj and a few other things. It's what it seems like it's becoming that's more scary! I would also be pretty interested in visiting the more low-key emirates like Umm Al Quwain and Al Fujairah and Ajman seems cool too. Better make it there before crazy construction starts happening! smile.gif

this is so true and the sad part of it is that this can be said of alot of places too sad.gif

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st September 2014 - 08:06 AM
Top Hotel Destinations in United Arab Emirates

Abu Dhabi Hotels
Ajman Hotels
Al Ain Hotels
Dibba Hotels
Dubai Hotels
Fujairah Hotels
Hatta Hotels
Jebel Dhanna Hotels
Khorfakkan Hotels
Liwa Hotels
Madinat Zayed Hotels
Mirfa Hotels
Ras Al Khaimah Hotels
Saadiyat Island Hotels
Sharjah Hotels
Sir Bani Yas Island Hotels
Umm Al Quwain Hotels
Yas Island Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.