Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> an extra day in cape
rangers234
post Dec 17 2009, 05:33 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 283956
Nominate me as a Local Expert

im travelling for a month zambia to cape town and I have an extra day in cape. Would love some suggestions on what I must see. I was considering doing the shark dive can u still do it without doing the dive?Also how long does it take because my flight is at 8pm so will have to be at the airport around 530.
thanks
roy
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
starlagurl
post Dec 18 2009, 04:37 PM
Post #2

Rolling Stone

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 103914

No, I don't think you can do a "shark dive" without actually diving under water...

Then it would be called something else, no? Hahaha tongue.gif

As for stuff to do in Cape Town, here's a bunch of stuff that looks like a lot of fun.

I guess it depends on what you like: http://www.travelpod.com/aa/things-to-do/Cape_Town

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
purplebuggy
post Dec 18 2009, 11:17 PM
Post #3

Tourist

Member No.: 282787

If you want to do a shark dive make sure you book a morning departure because they often run over time depending on how many people there are and if they want dvds or not. You can go on the boat and watch the sharks (so without diving...) but I wouldn't say it's the best because it can get choppy out there and it's a relief to get in the water for a bit. If you do end up doing this, most companies are in Gansbaai which is a decent drive from Cape Town so I'd definately confirm what time they expect you to return to you hotel (and then add an hour on to boot).
Other suggestions -
I'd go to Robben Island (you can see African Penguins there too after you do the tour.) The tour is well worth it. But I would book tickets in advance and early in the morning in case of bad weather when they stop the ferries.
Take the Red Hop-On Hop-Off Bus (I've forgotten at this moment what it's called but any place your staying will know) to Table Mountain and ctahc the cable car up. You'll not only get to go to Table Mountain but you'll have a tour there and on the way back on a loop around the city. 2 in 1 if you like!
Cruise up Long Street and get some final souveneir shopping done. There aresome great little stores in places you wouldn't expect so make sure you have a look in any place that looks like it could have 3 floors of markets hiding behind the door.(You'll understand if you do this, haha)
If you're more into the tourist shops, V&A cater for that and they also have a variety of places to eat as well as bars. V&A is relatively safe to walk around on your own (normal safety protocal to be followed as per usual of course) so you can find a place to lunch and watch the harbour happenings. V&A is where you get the ferry to Robben Island.

--------------------
pb

Diary of a Ranger-To-Be
Another year in the bushveld of South Africa (Jan 11 - now)
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
rangers234
post Dec 20 2009, 06:57 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 283956

Thank you very much for your suggestions there's to much to do in one day lol.
Purplebuggy i'm not so sure what i'd prefer a choppy boat or shark infested waters lol but i'm sure ill figure something out.
Thanks again for the suggestion
roy
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
starlagurl
post Dec 21 2009, 10:41 AM
Post #5

Rolling Stone

Member No.: 103914

QUOTE(purplebuggy @ Dec 18 2009, 11:17 PM) *
You can go on the boat and watch the sharks (so without diving...) =

Ohhhh OK, I get it now...

Great tips, once again purplebuggy! Thanks.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
kennedyronald
post Feb 1 2010, 05:04 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 714261

Maybe a nice alternative is a dive at the Two Oceans Aquarium. Here you can dive in between some nasty looking sharks with your friends looking at you from the other side of the glass. I work for a tour operator that offers these and other diving activities. Other suggestion for Cape Town in 1 day, is the much marketed "Big 6"

-V&A Waterfront (if you love shopping try Canal Walk, biggest mall in Africa);
-Robben Island (book early!)
-Table Mountain (weather permitting but open 90% of the time, when are you going?)
-Kirstenbosch Botanical Gardens (truly great!);
-Constantia (if you can visit the Winelands rather)
-Cape Point - the most south-westerly point at the Cape of Good Hope (if you have time Cape Agulhas is much further from town (about 4 hours) but the real southern tip of Africa and the actual meeting point of the Indian and Atlantic Oceans, although some might say that's debatable).

QUOTE(rangers234 @ Dec 17 2009, 05:33 PM) *

im travelling for a month zambia to cape town and I have an extra day in cape. Would love some suggestions on what I must see. I was considering doing the shark dive can u still do it without doing the dive?Also how long does it take because my flight is at 8pm so will have to be at the airport around 530.
thanks
roy
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th July 2014 - 06:48 AM
Top Hotel Destinations

Acapulco Hotels
Atlanta Hotels
Austin Hotels
Beijing Hotels
Cancun Hotels
Charlotte Hotels
Chicago Hotels
Dallas Hotels
Denver Hotels
Honolulu Hotels
Houston Hotels
Indianapolis Hotels
Kissimmee Hotels
Las Vegas Hotels
London Hotels
Los Angeles Hotels
Mexico City Hotels
Miami Hotels
Miami Beach Hotels
Montreal Hotels
Myrtle Beach Hotels
Nashville Hotels
Negril Hotels
New Orleans Hotels
New York City Hotels
Orlando Hotels
Paris Hotels
Phoenix Hotels
Playa del Carmen Hotels
Puerto Plata Hotels
Puerto Vallarta Hotels
Punta Cana Hotels
Rome Hotels
San Antonio Hotels
San Diego Hotels
San Francisco Hotels
Seattle Hotels
Tampa Hotels
Toronto Hotels
Washington DC Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.