Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> planning to travel solo
hstjoo
post Dec 13 2009, 12:27 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 576761
Nominate me as a Local Expert

Hi. I am planning to go to Siem Reap in February. I haven't been to Cambodia before and I feel a little anxious about travelling on my own. I have traveled alone before but mainly to big cities like Hong Kong and Seoul. Is it quite safe for a woman to travel on her own? What other things that I need to beware of? I need some advice. Thx.

User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
kathryn77
post Dec 13 2009, 04:08 PM
Post #2

Vagabond

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 30044

Hiya, I did head to Cambodia on my own while I was travelling - without any qualms about it...but then I met 2 girls straight away that I ended up travelling there with, when I arrived. I wouldn't have been bothered if I had been on my own, but I wasn't, so can't speak as a 'sole traveller' - but I didn't feel uncomfortable or anything if that's what you mean...and I wasn't with the girls all the time...

Siem Reap is interesting, as is Phom Penh, but also distressing - I headed to the beach of Sihanoukville afterwards

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
kris
post Dec 13 2009, 04:38 PM
Post #3

Pathfinder

Member No.: 370

solo travellers never really travel alone..

--------------------
IPB Image
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
robjstaples
post Dec 14 2009, 07:48 PM
Post #4

Voyager

Member No.: 589

QUOTE(kathryn77 @ Dec 13 2009, 10:08 PM) *

Hiya, I did head to Cambodia on my own while I was travelling - without any qualms about it...but then I met 2 girls straight away that I ended up travelling there with, when I arrived. I wouldn't have been bothered if I had been on my own, but I wasn't, so can't speak as a 'sole traveller' - but I didn't feel uncomfortable or anything if that's what you mean...and I wasn't with the girls all the time...

Siem Reap is interesting, as is Phom Penh, but also distressing - I headed to the beach of Sihanoukville afterwards

Siem Reap is distressing? What do you mean?
I've never been, but would love to go.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
kathryn77
post Dec 15 2009, 06:04 PM
Post #5

Vagabond

Member No.: 30044

QUOTE(robjstaples @ Dec 15 2009, 12:48 AM) *

QUOTE(kathryn77 @ Dec 13 2009, 10:08 PM) *

Siem Reap is distressing? What do you mean?
I've never been, but would love to go.

No, I meant Phnom Penh is interesting but distressing, with 'The Killing Fields' and all the memorials. It made me feel ill reading what happened, and was all so 'recent' by history standards

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
hanson
post Dec 22 2009, 03:07 AM
Post #6

Drifter

Member No.: 488381

February falls in dry season in Cambodia. What a pirty you could not take a boat trip on Asia's largest water reservoir of Tonle Sap. You can travel on your own, the Khmer people are very warm-heated and easygoing. But some how you will sea that it is a poor destination, not like any other place you have ever gone.

Visit Siem Reap and Phnom Penh for historical site, Modulkiri, Rattanakiri for adventure, Sihanoukville, Kep and Koh Kong for a beach vacation. Nice places to see.

--------------------
Travel's blog | Vietnam tourism info
Enjoy every step you go (-_-)
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
hstjoo
post Dec 22 2009, 07:43 AM
Post #7

QUOTE(hanson @ Dec 22 2009, 03:07 AM) *

February falls in dry season in Cambodia. What a pirty you could not take a boat trip on Asia's largest water reservoir of Tonle Sap. You can travel on your own, the Khmer people are very warm-heated and easygoing. But some how you will sea that it is a poor destination, not like any other place you have ever gone.

Visit Siem Reap and Phnom Penh for historical site, Modulkiri, Rattanakiri for adventure, Sihanoukville, Kep and Koh Kong for a beach vacation. Nice places to see.

Oh I didn't know that. It's just that it is the soonest holidays I can take off work. In my country it usually rains a lot, especially before Chinese New Year, which is when I plan to go. Do you mean that the water around Angkor would dry up during that time?

Thanks anyway for the information.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
danstravelworld
post Dec 30 2009, 06:36 AM
Post #8

Voyager

Member No.: 104714

QUOTE(hstjoo @ Dec 22 2009, 07:43 AM) *

Oh I didn't know that. It's just that it is the soonest holidays I can take off work. In my country it usually rains a lot, especially before Chinese New Year, which is when I plan to go. Do you mean that the water around Angkor would dry up during that time?

The big moats will still have a wee bit in. The rest will be bone dry. 4 months of heat & sun by the time Feb arrives. Still be nice though.

Safety wise, you'll be fine. Common sense in PP at night is all that's required. Same as any other city really.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
hstjoo
post Jan 11 2010, 04:31 AM
Post #9

QUOTE(danstravelworld @ Dec 30 2009, 06:36 AM) *

QUOTE(hstjoo @ Dec 22 2009, 07:43 AM) *

The big moats will still have a wee bit in. The rest will be bone dry. 4 months of heat & sun by the time Feb arrives. Still be nice though.

Safety wise, you'll be fine. Common sense in PP at night is all that's required. Same as any other city really.

I get the hotel in siem reap to pick me up at the airport. Would you recommend me getting a guide before I arrive there? Would most tuk tuk drivers be able to guide through the temples or do I need to get a guide too?
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
darrenstravels
post Jan 29 2010, 12:30 PM
Post #10

Tourist

Member No.: 167016

Just get a guide when there. Pretty much everyone will offer to guide you :-)

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
hstjoo
post Mar 11 2010, 05:32 AM
Post #11

QUOTE(blackeyes23 @ Mar 10 2010, 10:21 PM) *

The top attraction in Cambodia is, of course, Angkor Wat.
Preah Vihear Temple-the most impressive Khmer historical site after Angkor Wat
Sinanoukville-one of the best beaches in Cambodia.

Hi,

I have gone and come back from Siem Reap. Didn't get to see Preah Vihear, but I enjoyed my visit to other Temples for the 5 days I was there. Banteay Srei was also one of my favourites, though of course Angkor Wat is the grandest.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
jo_in_thailand
post Mar 20 2011, 05:03 AM
Post #12

Member No.: 440201

Hi

how did yr solo holiday go? I'm about to travel there solo myself

jo
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 31st July 2014 - 11:55 PM
Top Hotel Destinations in Cambodia

Banlung Hotels
Battambang Hotels
Kampong Cham Hotels
Kampong Chhnang Hotels
Kampot Hotels
Kep Hotels
Koh Dach Hotels
Koh Kong Hotels
Koh Rong Hotels
Koh Rong Samloem Hotels
Koh Rung Hotels
Koh Ta Kiev Hotels
Koh Tonsay Hotels
Kompong Thom Hotels
Kratie (Kracheh) Hotels
Pailin Hotels
Phnom Penh Hotels
Poipet Hotels
Pursat Hotels
Ratanakiri Hotels
Roluos Hotels
Sen Monorom Hotels
Siem Reap Hotels
Sihanoukville Hotels
Sisophon Hotels
Stung Treng Hotels
Takeo Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.