Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

Closed TopicStart new topic
> Short Time In Hong Kong
noahj
post Nov 11 2007, 04:57 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 105525
Nominate me as a Local Expert

I am new to Travel Pod, I have heard that this is a good site to get information about travel. This is why I am posting this question.

My wife and I are going to Phuket, Thailand in January and we have a 8 hour layover in Hong Kong. We are trying to figure out if this will give us enough time to get out of the airport and see the city a little. Does anyone know about the Hong Kong airport and how long it takes to get through customs there and if we would have time to see some of the city? Also, with such a short time what places would you recommend seeing?

Any information would be helpful,

Noah
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
wakingdream
post Nov 12 2007, 09:34 AM
Post #2

Rolling Stone

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 13336

Hi Noah,

You can take the express train from the airport Hong Kong Island or Kowloon( directly outside the Arrivals Hall) The express train will get you to Exchange Square/ Central Station downtown HK island in about 25 minutes, give or take. You can head to The Peak for a fantastic view but you might not have time for the tram so may want to consider a taxi ride. You could take the Star Ferry to Kowloon ( a short trip).

Day tours from the airport are readily acquired as well and might take a load off your mind regarding getting back on time. They're about HK $10-30 for 4, 6 and 8 hour trips and will pick you up at the airport and get you back. Can be useful if you're unfamiliar with the area and public transit. Tours cover temples, Aberdeen floating resto, old towns etc.

HK Airport Express
HK Walks
A Few Hours in Hong Kong

I'm not exactly sure what else you can do in a short time (maybe someone else has suggestions) but you may just want to take the express into downtown and take a look around. I haven't been in a long time and when we were there we had a week layover.

Getting through customs could take an hour or so, depending on how busy the airport is. It's hard to say. On the flip side, the airport is massive and many people stay and walk around on layovers although 8 hours might be a long time!

--------------------
~Susie

'Yesterday's the past and tomorrow's the future. Today is a gift - which is why they call it the present.'
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
thellie
post Dec 17 2007, 05:22 AM
Post #3

Pathfinder

Group: Members
Member No.: 13877
Nominate me as a Local Expert

i think eight hours is pushing it a little, but you may be able to get up to the big buddha at wat pho on lantan island (forgive my spelling...).
other places i went to during my 24 hour or so layover were the peak, via the tram, via the star ferry - star ferry is def worth a go, as is the view from the peak.

check out my first or second journal entry for details on what we did in hong kong - i can't remember as i've having a ball in thailand!)
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

Closed TopicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th July 2014 - 01:53 AM
Top Hotel Destinations

Acapulco Hotels
Atlanta Hotels
Austin Hotels
Beijing Hotels
Cancun Hotels
Charlotte Hotels
Chicago Hotels
Dallas Hotels
Denver Hotels
Honolulu Hotels
Houston Hotels
Indianapolis Hotels
Kissimmee Hotels
Las Vegas Hotels
London Hotels
Los Angeles Hotels
Mexico City Hotels
Miami Hotels
Miami Beach Hotels
Montreal Hotels
Myrtle Beach Hotels
Nashville Hotels
Negril Hotels
New Orleans Hotels
New York City Hotels
Orlando Hotels
Paris Hotels
Phoenix Hotels
Playa del Carmen Hotels
Puerto Plata Hotels
Puerto Vallarta Hotels
Punta Cana Hotels
Rome Hotels
San Antonio Hotels
San Diego Hotels
San Francisco Hotels
Seattle Hotels
Tampa Hotels
Toronto Hotels
Washington DC Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.