Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Rio de Janiro - Salvador, bahia
kiwi_surfer
post Dec 4 2009, 04:56 PM
Post #1

Nomad

Group: Members
Member No.: 274279

Hi,

I am having trouble trying to organise transport form rio to salvador via bus or plane.

Its going to be a 24 hour bus ride so i might... take a plane, however, I'm stil open to the bus travel. I am haveing trouble trying to organise a flight as all the web sights like TAM etc are in portuguese....

I will be landing in Rio from New Zealand on the Dec 27th at 1:30am. Im hoping Rio's Domestic airport is close to the international? Im not sure which one is which when im searching the domestic airlines like TAM.

I probably need a map of rio to try help me with the logistics before arriving. Does anyone know of good links for maps etc etc?

I would like to turn up at rio at 1 30 in the morning and know where the bus station is and have a ticket already organise so im not stuck...

Help... anyone?

--------------------
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
mmbcross
post Dec 6 2009, 09:47 PM
Post #2

Tripper

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 2195

GOL is Brazil's cheapo airline, though not really cheap by our standards. This site is also in Portuguese, nevertheless, it's pretty simple to operate. Fare is about R. 450 (US$ 260) and there are several flights a day. Don't bother with Rio's domestic airport at Santos Dumont. Only the Rio - São Paulo shuttle operates from there. You need flights from Galeão (GIG).

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
kiwi_surfer
post Dec 6 2009, 10:13 PM
Post #3

Nomad

ahh i see, i was confused about the different airports. Thanks onceagain mmbcross

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
mmbcross
post Dec 6 2009, 10:52 PM
Post #4

Tripper

Sorry, didn't read all your message. Here is an unusual map of Rio. The RIOTUR site is helpful.

First GOL flight out of GIG is 04:37, arriving SSA at 07:20 via SAO R$987,00. First non-stop is at 11:15. Flight time is two hours. Same price.

TAM has a flight at 15:25 at only R$373. That's a great deal, and I'd go for that like a rocket!

Rio's bus station (Rodoviario Novo Rio) is not all that far from Galeao. There is a 10:30 super luxury bus. Time taken is 27 hours and the price is R$260, or a 09:15 regular bus at R$225. You can buy the ticket online and pick it up at the Itapemirim ticket counter at the bus station up to 30 minutes prior to departure.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
kiwi_surfer
post Dec 12 2009, 01:22 AM
Post #5

Nomad

ah, thats awsome. Thanks mate

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
kiwi_surfer
post Dec 12 2009, 01:49 AM
Post #6

Nomad

bother. i must have been to slow for that great deal, the cheapest flight for TAM on that day is now $1050us. I will book the super luxury bus. I have looked on google earth and it does seem close, however I dont think I will be able to walk there, as it looks like the only way out of the Airport island, is by car. Ill have a read of lonly planet travel tips for rio.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
kiwi_surfer
post Dec 12 2009, 02:18 AM
Post #7

Nomad

ok i have used the itapemirim bus websight and everything was going well... until it asked me for my email and a password...... i guessi have to register somewhere but connot for the life of me figure out were/what button or how.. its in portugese sad.gif

can anyone help?

Oh and thanks allot mmbcross for getting me this far.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
mmbcross
post Dec 13 2009, 11:29 AM
Post #8

Tripper

I had a look at it. I requires a CPF number, the national ID. Without that you can't register so looks as if you won't be able to buy a ticket from overseas. I wonder if we have a kind Brazilian in Travelpod that will lend you a CPF No.?

Keep you eye open!

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
kiwi_surfer
post Dec 14 2009, 07:21 PM
Post #9

Nomad

oh S*$#...

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
kiwi_surfer
post Dec 14 2009, 08:09 PM
Post #10

Nomad

well the flights are to expensive as I was to slow picking up mmbcross's nice find. The lowest now is around $929BRL

I'm just going to take a bus from Galeao airport to Rodoviario Novo Rio bus station for us$3 (thankyou lonely planet). I'll see if there are any bus tickets avaliable for the 26hr journey to Salvador. If not, I suppose ill stay the night somewhere in rio..

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
kathryn77
post Dec 15 2009, 06:12 PM
Post #11

Vagabond

Member No.: 30044

Hey kiwi,
Sorry I've not been online much and only saw this thread - I had that bother last year, and had to get a Brazilian friend to book my bus ticket due to the national ID number requirement...

I have a few friends in Rio if you end up 'stuck' there! Let me know, I'm sure someone will help!

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
kiwi_surfer
post Dec 16 2009, 06:09 PM
Post #12

Nomad

cool, ill keep in touch with you, thanks

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
mmbcross
post Dec 20 2009, 09:45 AM
Post #13

Tripper

Here's another site for air tickets to and within Brazil. They show a US$ 213.00 one-way rate on GOL for the 27th.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
kiwi_surfer
post Dec 21 2009, 02:12 AM
Post #14

Nomad

QUOTE(mmbcross @ Dec 20 2009, 09:45 AM) *

Here's another site for air tickets to and within Brazil. They show a US$ 213.00 one-way rate on GOL for the 27th.

I was all excited when thought i was about to get this. however when i went to finalize the deal, the websight said the tickets were unavaliable... very unusual.

sad.gif

Ill try GOL,

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
kiwi_surfer
post Dec 21 2009, 02:17 AM
Post #15

Nomad

sigh, their flights are still expensive :s and jetabroad flights are around the $650 us mark. sad.gif

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
dbrandolizi
post Dec 21 2009, 07:24 AM
Post #16

Wanderer

Member No.: 294879

Hey kiwi_surfer
I'm in Sao Paulo and I'll be driving to Bahia on January 3rd.
I can give you a ride to Ilheus in Bahia.
I have a Toyota Tacoma Truck that I have been driving from
Alaska. There are also 2 other travelers going up to Bahia.
In case you need a place for a surfboard I have planty space
in my truck.
The only thing I ask is for sharing for gas and tolls.
If that is ok let me know.
Thanks
Nino
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
kiwi_surfer
post Dec 21 2009, 02:10 PM
Post #17

Nomad

QUOTE(dbrandolizi @ Dec 21 2009, 07:24 AM) *

Hey kiwi_surfer
I'm in Sao Paulo and I'll be driving to Bahia on January 3rd.
I can give you a ride to Ilheus in Bahia.
I have a Toyota Tacoma Truck that I have been driving from
Alaska. There are also 2 other travelers going up to Bahia.
In case you need a place for a surfboard I have planty space
in my truck.
The only thing I ask is for sharing for gas and tolls.
If that is ok let me know.
Thanks
Nino

thanks for your very generious offer, but im planning on seing the new year in salvador. Jan the 3rd is a little to late for me.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
kiwi_surfer
post Dec 22 2009, 01:27 PM
Post #18

Nomad

QUOTE(salvadorpousada @ Dec 22 2009, 03:53 AM) *

Airfare $265.00
Taxes & fees $73.90

Total AUD $338.90
Total price

Show Price Details

TAM-Transportes Aereos Meridionais Travel Time
25 Dec from Rio de Janeiro Aeroporto Internacional Galeao, Brazil (GIG) to Salvador Dois de Julho (SSA) 1 flight at 10:20 AM 2h 5m

that;s on the website www.jetabroad.com

Thanks for helping

But I dont arrive in Rio until the 27th of Dec, the cheapest flight rio to salvador is 700 Aus that day sad.gif

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
engine4girls
post Dec 23 2009, 08:50 PM
Post #19

Member No.: 601881

Hi there,

i did a search for plane tickets and found a "bargain" flight on WebJet Airlines for Dec 27th, the total is R$585 (R$ = brazilian currency) on its web site.

It is a direct flight, departing from Galeao (GIG - Rio Intl Airpot) at 10:40 am and arriving in Salvador at 11:40 am. The flight number is 6721.

The link for the site is www.webjet.com.br

I have also phoned Itapemirim to get some info on the interstate bus ticket. The bus is a "semi-leito" (more confortable seats than the regular ones) and leaves Rio's terminal at 10:30am, however it is a 27hs trip to Salvador. The cost is R$260.

You can buy the ticket by phone, at a toll free number 0800 7232121 (only works in Brazil), from 7am to 11:30pm (Rio time zone). The operator I've talket to said they accept VISA international credit card.

NOTE OF CAUTION: if you decide to take the Itapemirim bus, DO NOT go to the terminal before 7am!!! This is one of the most dangerous areas in Rio (even for a local like myself) and security is near to none!!!! Also, please, DO NOT TAKE A BUS from the airport to the bus terminal (I am aware the cost is a ridiculous R$3). Muggers target travelers on the buses by their luggage!! Take a taxi at the airport, it will cost you around R$40!!!

Inside the airport, you can use the ATM machine at BANCO DO BRASIL to get some cash. BEWARE, not all ATMs in Brazil accept international cards. The main branches of BANCO DO BRASIL at major cities (like Salvador) have a "CAMBIO" (exchange) icon - you will be able to use your card there. You can look up the addresses at www.bb.com.br , then click on Encontre Uma Agencia (Find a Branch) at the lower right coner - a pop up window will appear. Click LOCALIDADE and choose a UF (for Rio click RJ, for Bahia BA) and then the city.

Well, I hope you have the chance to read this post before departuring!!

If you need some extra help, you can contact me through SKYPE. I've sent you a message with my id.

I am sure you will have lots of fun during your trip!!

"Travel safe"!

Luciana

User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
kiwi_surfer
post Dec 24 2009, 02:43 AM
Post #20

Nomad

QUOTE(engine4girls @ Dec 23 2009, 08:50 PM) *

Hi there,

i did a search for plane tickets and found a "bargain" flight on WebJet Airlines for Dec 27th, the total is R$585 (R$ = brazilian currency) on its web site.

It is a direct flight, departing from Galeao (GIG - Rio Intl Airpot) at 10:40 am and arriving in Salvador at 11:40 am. The flight number is 6721.

The link for the site is www.webjet.com.br

I have also phoned Itapemirim to get some info on the interstate bus ticket. The bus is a "semi-leito" (more confortable seats than the regular ones) and leaves Rio's terminal at 10:30am, however it is a 27hs trip to Salvador. The cost is R$260.

You can buy the ticket by phone, at a toll free number 0800 7232121 (only works in Brazil), from 7am to 11:30pm (Rio time zone). The operator I've talket to said they accept VISA international credit card.

NOTE OF CAUTION: if you decide to take the Itapemirim bus, DO NOT go to the terminal before 7am!!! This is one of the most dangerous areas in Rio (even for a local like myself) and security is near to none!!!! Also, please, DO NOT TAKE A BUS from the airport to the bus terminal (I am aware the cost is a ridiculous R$3). Muggers target travelers on the buses by their luggage!! Take a taxi at the airport, it will cost you around R$40!!!

Inside the airport, you can use the ATM machine at BANCO DO BRASIL to get some cash. BEWARE, not all ATMs in Brazil accept international cards. The main branches of BANCO DO BRASIL at major cities (like Salvador) have a "CAMBIO" (exchange) icon - you will be able to use your card there. You can look up the addresses at www.bb.com.br , then click on Encontre Uma Agencia (Find a Branch) at the lower right coner - a pop up window will appear. Click LOCALIDADE and choose a UF (for Rio click RJ, for Bahia BA) and then the city.

Well, I hope you have the chance to read this post before departuring!!

If you need some extra help, you can contact me through SKYPE. I've sent you a message with my id.

I am sure you will have lots of fun during your trip!!

"Travel safe"!

Luciana

Wow, obrigato for the fabulous reply, I will use this info for sure.

smile.gif

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th August 2014 - 08:45 AM
Top Hotel Destinations in Brazil

Angra Dos Reis Hotels
Aracaju Hotels
Arraial d'Ajuda Hotels
Balneario Camboriu Hotels
Barueri Hotels
Belem Hotels
Belo Horizonte Hotels
Brasilia Hotels
Buzios Hotels
Campinas Hotels
Campo Grande Hotels
Curitiba Hotels
Florianopolis Hotels
Fortaleza Hotels
Foz de Iguacu Hotels
Goiania Hotels
Guaruja Hotels
Guarulhos Hotels
Jericoacoara Hotels
Joao Pessoa Hotels
Joinville Hotels
Londrina Hotels
Macae Hotels
Maceio Hotels
Manaus Hotels
Morro de Sao Paulo Hotels
Natal Hotels
Paraty Hotels
Porto Alegre Hotels
Porto Seguro Hotels
Porto de Galinhas Hotels
Praia do Forte Hotels
Recife Hotels
Ribeirao Preto Hotels
Rio de Janeiro Hotels
Salvador Hotels
Sao Jose Dos Campos Hotels
Sao Paulo Hotels
Trancoso Hotels
Vitoria Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.