Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Guam, Saipan, Tinian
aliitoo
post Oct 23 2007, 10:18 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 100710
Nominate me as a Local Expert

My wife and I will be traveling to Guam, Saipan and Tinian next April or May. It will be a return trip for me as I was stationed there while in the Coast Guard back in '69/70. I was on a ship and sailing for most of my tour so I wasn't able to do the tourist thing.
My main interest will be the WW2 history both on the ground and under the sea along with experiencing the beauty of the island and the people. Scuba diving will be a portion of our activities.
Any thoughts on what must be seen or done would be appreciated. Reading material recommendations would also be very helpful.
Thanks!
Bert Combs
Battle Ground, Wa
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
xray99
post Oct 26 2007, 05:15 PM
Post #2

Wanderer

Member No.: 101436

Hello Burt,
I'm planning to visit Guam & Saipan with my wife in January.
Would be interested in knowing what you've learned.
Cheers,
Peter from Seattle
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
aliitoo
post Nov 23 2007, 11:33 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 100710

QUOTE(xray99 @ Oct 26 2007, 05:15 PM) *

Hello Burt,
I'm planning to visit Guam & Saipan with my wife in January.
Would be interested in knowing what you've learned.
Cheers,
Peter from Seattle

Hi Peter,

My wife and I are both from Seattle. We graduated from Ballard in '68 and '72.

As it turns out we will not be making our trip to Guam. Friends have invited us to Bonaire next spring and until I win the lottery we'll only be able to make one trip a year.

I've received a couple of replies stating that MGA is the dive operator to go with. Other than that I haven't received anything specific or "must see" info. I was planning on picking up a book or two on Guam, Saipan and Tinian and preparing that way. I prefer first hand experiences as they are generally more informative and for a Ballard grad easier to digest.

I'd be interested in hearing about your experiences when you get back. Drop me a line.

Bert
Aliitoo@comcast.net
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
xray99
post Nov 24 2007, 09:17 AM
Post #4

Wanderer

Member No.: 101436

Hi Bert,
First, I realize I misspelled your name twice - sorry!

We won't be going either. Dec/Jan is the worst time to go anywhere in the Pacific,
due to tourist crowds. Too expensive & difficult to get flights. We're going through Europe
first, then I'm on to Thailand, Hong Kong, and Japan. Perhaps next year we'll get to
the islands.

FYI, we live in West Seattle. Just reached our 10th annivarsary there, both originally
from out of state. Ballard's the only other place in Seattle I'd want to live, being an
avid sailor.

Cheers,
- Pete
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
cozzielex
post Dec 3 2009, 05:49 AM
Post #5

Drifter

Member No.: 500421

Hi Guys, It's rather coincidental that the only contributors in this forum to Guam etc are both from Seattle and both have cancelled their trips! I too have been toying with the idea of going out to Guam and then Truk via Hong Kong. I understand that Continental Micronesia go to both places from HK. Did either of you get as far a the planning stage and if so do you have any tips. By the way I'm not from Seattle but from kent in UK but I lived for many years in HK. If you are interested in WW2 sites and history can I recommend that you consider Philippines, particularly Cebu. great diving and sailing. Pete, I notice you are going to HK in dec/jan, is this a first trip or are you an old china hand?
all the best
Peter
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
noffsingerphoto
post Jan 13 2010, 04:38 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 659511

QUOTE(cozzielex @ Dec 3 2009, 05:49 AM) *

Hi Guys, It's rather coincidental that the only contributors in this forum to Guam etc are both from Seattle and both have cancelled their trips! I too have been toying with the idea of going out to Guam and then Truk via Hong Kong. I understand that Continental Micronesia go to both places from HK. Did either of you get as far a the planning stage and if so do you have any tips. By the way I'm not from Seattle but from kent in UK but I lived for many years in HK. If you are interested in WW2 sites and history can I recommend that you consider Philippines, particularly Cebu. great diving and sailing. Pete, I notice you are going to HK in dec/jan, is this a first trip or are you an old china hand?
all the best
Peter

User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st August 2014 - 08:45 PM
Top Hotel Destinations

Acapulco Hotels
Atlanta Hotels
Austin Hotels
Beijing Hotels
Cancun Hotels
Charlotte Hotels
Chicago Hotels
Dallas Hotels
Denver Hotels
Honolulu Hotels
Houston Hotels
Indianapolis Hotels
Kissimmee Hotels
Las Vegas Hotels
London Hotels
Los Angeles Hotels
Mexico City Hotels
Miami Hotels
Miami Beach Hotels
Montreal Hotels
Myrtle Beach Hotels
Nashville Hotels
Negril Hotels
New Orleans Hotels
New York City Hotels
Orlando Hotels
Paris Hotels
Phoenix Hotels
Playa del Carmen Hotels
Puerto Plata Hotels
Puerto Vallarta Hotels
Punta Cana Hotels
Rome Hotels
San Antonio Hotels
San Diego Hotels
San Francisco Hotels
Seattle Hotels
Tampa Hotels
Toronto Hotels
Washington DC Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.