Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Prague City Of Dreams
yenni
post Jan 30 2007, 05:41 AM
Post #21

Group: Members
Member No.: 5280
Nominate me as a Local Expert

QUOTE(whereshegoes @ Jan 29 2007, 09:03 PM) *

Wow! They had to rebuild!!?!?! That must have been a big one!

They should build a dam or something...you would think they would do SOMETHING!

My friend is from Slovakia...Matt....where are you Matt? Someone wants to know about your countries!

There are places by the rivers that are REGULARLY flooded every spring, they have always been and they will always be - that is the way nature works. So rather than building dims and destroying even more local ecosystems, I ask why someone does build his summer house on a flood land.

The 2005 floods in Czech Rep. were slightly bigger than the regular ones, but not extremely. And in Prague you couldnt notice them at all.

And the problem is not lack of dims, obviously, but idiotic management of existing ones.
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
clintonb
post Jan 30 2007, 05:33 PM
Post #22

Voyager

Member No.: 857

Yeah, i didn't really notice it much in Prague, but in Budapest and Switzerland i definitely. The river was running really fast, with lots of tree's and debris coming down the river... And it was only like 1ft from over flowing the river walls to the town - I was thinking this surely was not normal!

When i went canyoning outside of Interlaken, all the towns we went to, the roads were mostly ripped up, shops and residents houses had all construction stuff all throughout and debris once again everywhere. Was sad, but didn't take away from the beauty the country offered.

--------------------
"Do not be afraid of death ...Be afraid of the half lived life!"

Europe & UK - 3 month backpacking adventure!
Latin America & Caribbean - Leaving everything I know, on a one-way ticket! - Currently On!
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
glendamcd
post Jan 31 2007, 11:39 PM
Post #23

Member No.: 36884

QUOTE(yenni @ Aug 23 2006, 03:47 PM) *

Ah, so weird hearing others talking about your city...

Just a note - paying 500 CZK for a meal is ridiculously expensive, on the other hand, sitting in a restaurant on the Old Town Square, having lunch, might have some charms that are worth the money.)

Oh and if some of you is coming to Prague/Czech rep. and need some help/advise or something, you can contact me, I ll try to help you out.

\Hi Venni

Thanks for offering to help a future visitor to your home town of Prague.
We are coming to Prague for 3 days Nov 1st 2007. What is the weather like that time of year? Are there any unique festivals during the beginning of November?

Love to hear from you
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
yenni
post Feb 1 2007, 04:40 AM
Post #24

Member No.: 5280

QUOTE(glendamcd @ Jan 31 2007, 11:39 PM) *

Hi Venni

Thanks for offering to help a future visitor to your home town of Prague.
We are coming to Prague for 3 days Nov 1st 2007. What is the weather like that time of year? Are there any unique festivals during the beginning of November?

Love to hear from you

I ve send you a private message here on TravelPod.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
ippavlova
post Mar 18 2007, 07:54 AM
Post #25

Member No.: 44247

hi everyone,

Just popped in here and I found it too intriguing not to register and start posting.

Well, haha...I am going to czech soon and want to know if anyone has any experience in camping in the wild. I don't mean the campingsites now but literatelly IN the wild. Is it risky?

And jobs, is it easier now than it was a couple of years back to get a nice little job? (I'd do basically anything except selling my butt) dance3.gif

I am citizen of EU btw.

Cheers, ippavlova

--------------------
http://www.travelpod.com/members/ippavlova

A great part of the Netherlands is situated under the water level, so for us not to drown we need to stay high all the time.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
tati
post Jun 1 2007, 12:42 PM
Post #26

Member No.: 58361

Hi Aussielad:

I am about to embark on a solo voyage through Europe. Prague is DEF on my list! Any recommendations/advice on traveling alone? Bargains? Words of wisdom?

Tati
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
cheaptraveller
post Jun 2 2007, 03:24 PM
Post #27

Wanderer

Member No.: 29527

QUOTE(Aussielad @ Sep 27 2005, 12:14 PM) *

Hiya guys! i have just traveled Europe by my self for the first time ever. Prague was really awsome and theres some places i just wanted to tell u guys about if your thinking of going..

About 200m Down the main Road from Metro stop Muzium is a small but very popular czzech Resturant, I cant remeber the name but it has a challange for a 1kg steak... Eat it in 40 mins and get it free, lose and pay 70 euros. I never took the challange but the food there was Unreal the best food i have ever eaten.
1 meal might cost 500 Crown with a drink... Thats about ú10 so its Worth the effort.

Another place was a MASSIVE night club I found in prague it has 5 floors and all different types of music and a Chill out room at the top. Cost 50 crown to get in before 10pm then its 120crown after. Open till 5am and the Drinks are really cheap, Beer is 30crown and Spirts 75 with mixer...

Anyways guys Hope this little bit of Info helps.

Oh and by the way! WATCH YA PASSPORT, i got mine stolen in Prague and it takes ages to find anyone who knows what to do. Police dont even care so best bet is go to Vienna or Berlin!

CHeers Aussielad

Hey there, all this info is really cool. About Prague, I think I really need to get my butt going and finally do my bookings, flights and accommodation for this summer.. Anyways..

My good friend stayed in the Old Prague hostel, I hope Ill have a similar good hand as him.

bon voyage.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
kitkatgo
post Aug 4 2007, 07:05 PM
Post #28

Navigator

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 13816

I went to Prague and Cesky Krumlov just prior to this past Easter. Thought it was fantastic. I loved the Old Town Square. So much history, and the buildings are gorgeous.

It's true about the prices, the further off the beaten path and away from the touristy streets, the better the prices.

One of my favorite travelling experiences of all time was in Prague...we had met another couple on the train from Berlin to Prague and we went out with them. We went to several places that night, but my favorite was this little cafe called Pode Mostem (hope i got that right) under the Charles Bridge, where we shared a bottle of wine. Ah, the memories.

I would definitely go back to Prague!

~Kit

--------------------
~Kit
California Local Expert

Visit my travel blogs:
http://www.travelpod.com/members/kitkatgo
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
lar4290
post Apr 21 2008, 02:03 AM
Post #29

Wayfarer

Member No.: 115081

After living in Praha 7 (Holesovice, just north of the bend in the Vltava) while studying abroad in Prague, I can honestly say that it is my favorite city in Europe (though I guess I'm a bit biased). While in East Central Europe, I also had a chance to visit Krakow, Bratislava, and Budapest, as well as other Czech cities and some cities in both NE and SE Germany.

Although Prague is terribly crowded in the summer, I'd still recommend stopping by. Just wandering aimlessly around the streets of Old Town is an amazing experience, especially if you're aware of your surroundings (i.e. for pickpockets) and don't let the crowds get to you. You can see Prague Castle, Charles Bridge, Wenceslas Square, and Old Town Square in about half a day. After that, you can escape the intense tourist crowds and see other parts of the city that are less well known, such as Troja Chateau (by the zoo, north of Stromovka Park and the 2nd Vltava bend), a beautiful summer home which now houses 19th century art, and Veletr×nÝ Palace, the section of the National Gallery which houses the modern art collection. Fittingly, it is in a communist-style building in a quiet neighborhood in Holesovice. I'd also highly recommend to art fans the riverfront St. Agnes' Convent, which has the Medieval collection of the National Gallery. Strahov Monastery with its incredible library the Loreto are well worth visits if you're looking to avoid the massive crowds of Old Town and Castle Hill (there still will be some tourists in those areas, however). If you enjoy nature, I'd recommend Letna Park, which has nice views, especially at night to Old Town across the river, as well as any of the Islands in the Vltava. For everyone, Petrin, a hill overlooking the city with a minature replica of the Eifel Tower, is a can't miss. Make sure to go on a clear day because the views are incredible.

If crowds aren't your thing, I'd encourage you to explore Moravia. Its capital, Brno, is quite a pleasant city and a good point from which you can go on many day trips. Brno actually reminds me a little of Bratislava, but without all the modern art and without the Communist bloc feel. The nearby Moravsky Kras region has tons of underground caves and rivers. It was honestly one of my favorite things I did in the entire region.

Even though Cesky Krumlov (in Bohemia about 3 hours south of Prague) is beautiful, it is also becoming quite crowded and touristy. If you venture further east, however, you'll discover many hidden treasures, where most of the tourists are Czech school groups rather than Americans and Aussies. I'd highly recommend KroměřÝ×, a UNESCO World Heritage Site, which was the seat of an Archbishop. Today you can visit the Archbishop's palace, gardens, and wine cellars (which for centuries made the Communion wine for most of Eastern Europe). Another UNESCO site in Southern Moravia is Lednice, where there is a castle from the House of Liechtenstein (that family used to rule most of the Czech Republic before the Habsburgs). A beautiful English-style garden with a Minaret surrounds the palace.

I've noticed that there have been a lot of comparisons to other East Central European cities as well, so I might as well throw in my two cents. Bratislava was alright. I just took the night bus down one evening, arriving at around 7am, and spent an entire day there, taking the night bus back at midnight. After about 6 hours hanging around old town, I was already bored and retracing my footsteps. I ended up sitting on one of the benches in the lovely tree-lined area by the national theatre and reading for three or four hours. I did enjoy looking at the random modern art statues around the city, though. I was highly looking forward to visiting Budapest because I'd heard wonderful things about the "Paris of the East". I found the city dull and gloomy. The Castle Hill wasn't nearly as pretty as that of Prague and the city was much more polluted, almost giving it a hazy appearance. The Turkish-style baths that we'd looked forward to visiting were disappointing. They were terribly overcrowded and reminded me more of an American amusement park than the other hot steam baths I've visited in Eucador and Japan. I would, however, highly recommend Krakow, easily one of my top five European cities (number two to Prague in this region). It had a young and exciting vibe with an upbeat shopping district and lively nightlife. Market Square had a great feel to it, though it was crowded and touristy. I'd highly recommend visiting Kazimierz, the Jewish district, which is about a 15 minute walk from the ring-street inner city. It is a sobering experience, but I feel like learning at least a little about the Jewish history of Poland is a must if you're there.

Hope this was at least somewhat helpful! Feel free to look at my travel blog or e-mail me if you have any questions or want Prague suggestions!
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
always113
post Sep 24 2010, 11:48 AM
Post #30

Member No.: 1345791

Hey Will, Are you still in Opole, Poland?? I am an American here and I dont know anyone new : )

User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th September 2014 - 06:53 AM
Top Hotel Destinations

Acapulco Hotels
Atlanta Hotels
Austin Hotels
Beijing Hotels
Cancun Hotels
Charlotte Hotels
Chicago Hotels
Dallas Hotels
Denver Hotels
Honolulu Hotels
Houston Hotels
Indianapolis Hotels
Kissimmee Hotels
Las Vegas Hotels
London Hotels
Los Angeles Hotels
Mexico City Hotels
Miami Hotels
Miami Beach Hotels
Montreal Hotels
Myrtle Beach Hotels
Nashville Hotels
Negril Hotels
New Orleans Hotels
New York City Hotels
Orlando Hotels
Paris Hotels
Phoenix Hotels
Playa del Carmen Hotels
Puerto Plata Hotels
Puerto Vallarta Hotels
Punta Cana Hotels
Rome Hotels
San Antonio Hotels
San Diego Hotels
San Francisco Hotels
Seattle Hotels
Tampa Hotels
Toronto Hotels
Washington DC Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.