Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Prague City Of Dreams
Aussielad
post Sep 27 2005, 12:14 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 276

Hiya guys! i have just traveled Europe by my self for the first time ever. Prague was really awsome and theres some places i just wanted to tell u guys about if your thinking of going..

About 200m Down the main Road from Metro stop Muzium is a small but very popular czzech Resturant, I cant remeber the name but it has a challange for a 1kg steak... Eat it in 40 mins and get it free, lose and pay 70 euros. I never took the challange but the food there was Unreal the best food i have ever eaten.
1 meal might cost 500 Crown with a drink... Thats about £10 so its Worth the effort.

Another place was a MASSIVE night club I found in prague it has 5 floors and all different types of music and a Chill out room at the top. Cost 50 crown to get in before 10pm then its 120crown after. Open till 5am and the Drinks are really cheap, Beer is 30crown and Spirts 75 with mixer...

Anyways guys Hope this little bit of Info helps.

Oh and by the way! WATCH YA PASSPORT, i got mine stolen in Prague and it takes ages to find anyone who knows what to do. Police dont even care so best bet is go to Vienna or Berlin!

CHeers Aussielad
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
whereshegoes
post Sep 28 2005, 02:06 AM
Post #2

Journeyer

Member No.: 5

Wow...I wish I had have not gotten evacuated from there. It sounds amazing and Canadians have to get a visa to go there so I haven't tried to go back since the floods of 2002. You sure make it tempting tho....

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Jambo
post Sep 28 2005, 10:28 AM
Post #3

Voyager

Member No.: 259

The fact that it is still so inexpensive makes Prague a big drawcard - apart from everything else it has going for it. Like Aussielad said, you can go out for a night on the turps for next to nothing.

And Prague, particularly the touristy centre, is the most expensive part of the Czech Rep. If you get out of the city, prices drop. And if you get across to Slovakia, they are even cheaper. A huge hearty dinner for two with drinks can be had for well under US$10.

I was in Prague earlier this year and it didn't seem too badly affected by the floods, although I'm sure there was a lot of structural damage. The main sights, such as the castle, are on higher ground, and Charles Bridge looked fine.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Starcadius
post Dec 21 2005, 05:32 AM
Post #4

Unregistered

I am glad to hear peoples opinions and experiences of Prague.
I have been a few times and it was worth it, I am going back in January and looking forward to winter there.
+Quote Post
His Royal Monkeyness
post Mar 23 2006, 01:09 AM
Post #5

Expeditionist

Member No.: 580

imo, prague doesn't deserve the great reputation it has....well, at least not during summer. maybe 5 or 10 years ago, but it's become WAY too touristy. the old city and charles bridge are just swarming with tourists. i have heard that it's a great place to visit in the off-season though. i'll have to try to make it back then and check it out.
cesky krumlov to the south is a great place to chillout. backpacker/touristy but not overrun like prague.

budapest was more expensive than i was expecting. i thought it would be comparable to czech rep, but prices were more like what you'd find in spain or italy (the cheaper places in western europe).

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
ScottWoz
post Mar 25 2006, 12:28 AM
Post #6

Rolling Stone

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 124

I'm not sure what the óff-season' is in Prague but I spent a good few days there in March 2003 and had an amazing time. I found the whole place enchanting and walked for miles. I found the outskirts of the city a little unsettling at times with the grafitti, rubbish and shady looking characters appearing from random doorways, but the city itself was superb.

In general I found things really cheap and ate in some excellent restaurants (there's a quaint little Italian restaurant just off one of the side streets of the square by the astronomical clock - an unforgettable place!)

I think Prague's got a hell of a lot to offer, I can't wait to go back there.

--------------------
Woz..

Living on a string of one-way tickets - currently kicking about in: southern Cambodia
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
whereshegoes
post Jun 17 2006, 12:47 AM
Post #7

Journeyer

QUOTE(my_lenaptalf @ Jun 13 2006, 03:38 PM) *

thanks for the info. I have only been to Prague once, but I am currently planning for go back next summer(along with Interlaken, Switzerland).

(FYI - graffiti writers are the last people to worry about in Europe.)

Interlaken ROCKS!!! I stayed at the Funny Farm hostel...Great Great Times afro.png

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
uncle_davros
post Jun 17 2006, 08:33 AM
Post #8

Planet Pioneer

Member No.: 226

And everyone goes to Prague. Personally, I prefer Krakow.

Also, the countryside of the Czech Republic is great, but most people only go to Prague, and if they are feeling daring, Cheski Krumlov

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Tord
post Jul 23 2006, 01:21 PM
Post #9

Unregistered

Prague is just so beautiful city.

The big nightclub with 5 floors is called Karlovy Lazne. Biggest nightclub in central europe

I bought a play pass which is a pass for nightlife and day activities and went in Free without queuing. You can buy one at Czech airline shop at the airport or website www.pragueplaypass.com . Has free entry and free drinks to 65 top places. only 19.99 euros

I also went to the sex museum 50% off. Not great but has gadgets smile.gif

I was cheated at the currency exchange.

Took AAA taxi for everything. Has set rates and english drivers. Best tip I can give to anyone visiting.

metro and tram are cheap as well
+Quote Post
yenni
post Aug 23 2006, 03:47 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 5280

Ah, so weird hearing others talking about your city...

Just a note - paying 500 CZK for a meal is ridiculously expensive, on the other hand, sitting in a restaurant on the Old Town Square, having lunch, might have some charms that are worth the money.)

Oh and if some of you is coming to Prague/Czech rep. and need some help/advise or something, you can contact me, I ll try to help you out.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
bj_oysterworld
post Aug 27 2006, 09:24 AM
Post #11

Member No.: 8914

Hiya all!

I have just come back from Prague - I agree that the centre is very crowded in the summer. Being an Italian-speaker, I found it a bit of a surprise exactly how many Italians had decided to risk colder, wetter weather up north! brr.gif But once off Charles Bridge or away from the castle, I really didn't see that many tourists: Vysehre was particularly quiet. Eerily so in fact given the fab views upriver.

That Lakse club is damn good hyper.gif - we just celebrated my friend's stag night there on the recent trip! - but does anyone know of anywhere else that is really good? Red Hot & Blues was OTT americana but the food and music was great in my humble opinion! Cleanhead Phil does amazing original stuff - go check him out!

Next time I do intend to escape the city though - but it will need a lot more time to do so I think. Any opinions on Brno as a city?

Jai
x
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
uncle_davros
post Aug 27 2006, 04:00 PM
Post #12

Planet Pioneer

Never been to Brno, but I have been to Ceske Budejovice which was great. I also went to Ceske Krumlov, which was good, but I prefered Ceske Budejovice. Home of the original Budvar. Telc was nice so was Tabor. Also, a 45 minute trip on the train is Kutna Hora which has a great Ossary and there is also a tin mine to see

Enjoy

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
gresty
post Sep 4 2006, 03:25 AM
Post #13

Member No.: 2054

I live in Prague and the 5 floor club that has been mentioned is the worst club in the city! It has a reputation for just attracting tourists and although the prices arent bad...its terrible.

500kc for a meal would give me a heart attack but if your travelling and can afford it then its worth it. My advice would be get out of the city center and try the excellent restaurants in Zizkov (sklep), Andel and Namesti Miru. Same goes for clubs.

afro.png
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
whereshegoes
post Sep 7 2006, 08:45 PM
Post #14

Journeyer

I really liked Ceske Krumlov for is charm and great people...

Just make sure you take a rainsuit wink.gif

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
uncle_davros
post Sep 8 2006, 12:24 AM
Post #15

Planet Pioneer

QUOTE(whereshegoes @ Sep 7 2006, 08:45 PM) *

I really liked Ceske Krumlov for is charm and great people...

Just make sure you take a rainsuit wink.gif

Why ??? I had lovely weather

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
will
post Sep 8 2006, 10:26 PM
Post #16

Expeditionist

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 952

Interesting thread! I'll be working in southern Poland for a few months, in a small city called Opole. Approx 3hrs from Krakow and 4hrs from Prague. I look forward to seeing both!

But for everything I hear about the Czech republic, no-one ever mentions Slovakia. What's it like there?

--------------------
"I should like to spend my whole life traveling, if only I could borrow another to spend at home" - William Hazlitt

You can see my travelblog here!
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
whereshegoes
post Sep 8 2006, 10:38 PM
Post #17

Journeyer

The rainsuit comment refers to me getting evaculated back in Aug 2002...not the norm tho.

Oh and the food is amazing and CHEAP!

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
uncle_davros
post Sep 9 2006, 02:51 AM
Post #18

Planet Pioneer

We drove through Slovakia in 98 and the countryside is so beautiful. What is sad though is that generally, people only visit Prague. There are some lovely little towns to see. I found Prague, back in 98, that it was just like being in parts of Germany and was so disappointed with it after having been to Krakow

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
clintonb
post Jan 29 2007, 07:29 PM
Post #19

Voyager

Member No.: 857

Czech Republic would have to be one of my favourite countries in all of europe (ones i've experienced anyhow). Cheap and enchantingly beautiful! CK is a dream!!! Went river rafting there :-) Oh thats one place i promise to return to. Prague is definatly beautiful in its own way. I too found the character, feel and buildings drawing me in :-) i wanna go back for longer! However i met quite a few people who got pick pocketed there so watch your pockets :-) Also as Prague can be quite touristy at times, wonder off the beaten track, and you'll find more traditional czech restaurants, etc that cost alot less money.

whereshegoes - i too was experiencing flooding in eastern europe in late 2005, but by the look of things it was no where near as bad as what you experienced... The rivers were just chocka's... Interlaken was beautiful, unfortunatly just outside half a dozen towns were heavily damaged by the floods, and having to be rebuilt :-( Actually most of of swiss territory is perfect haha!

--------------------
"Do not be afraid of death ...Be afraid of the half lived life!"

Europe & UK - 3 month backpacking adventure!
Latin America & Caribbean - Leaving everything I know, on a one-way ticket! - Currently On!
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
whereshegoes
post Jan 29 2007, 09:03 PM
Post #20

Journeyer

Wow! They had to rebuild!!?!?! That must have been a big one!

They should build a dam or something...you would think they would do SOMETHING!

My friend is from Slovakia...Matt....where are you Matt? Someone wants to know about your countries!

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd July 2014 - 11:41 PM
Top Hotel Destinations

Acapulco Hotels
Atlanta Hotels
Austin Hotels
Beijing Hotels
Cancun Hotels
Charlotte Hotels
Chicago Hotels
Dallas Hotels
Denver Hotels
Honolulu Hotels
Houston Hotels
Indianapolis Hotels
Kissimmee Hotels
Las Vegas Hotels
London Hotels
Los Angeles Hotels
Mexico City Hotels
Miami Hotels
Miami Beach Hotels
Montreal Hotels
Myrtle Beach Hotels
Nashville Hotels
Negril Hotels
New Orleans Hotels
New York City Hotels
Orlando Hotels
Paris Hotels
Phoenix Hotels
Playa del Carmen Hotels
Puerto Plata Hotels
Puerto Vallarta Hotels
Punta Cana Hotels
Rome Hotels
San Antonio Hotels
San Diego Hotels
San Francisco Hotels
Seattle Hotels
Tampa Hotels
Toronto Hotels
Washington DC Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.