Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Bus from Mexico to Guatemala, Bus company and crossing the border
erriuc
post Oct 6 2007, 11:30 AM
Post #1

Drifter

Group: Members
Member No.: 74536

Hello travelers,

does anyone knows the best bus company to go from Mexico to Guatemala (Flores/Tical).
I know there is Bamba, is there another?
Also, I have heard this thing that they (Guatemaltec) sometimes illegaly ask for $ to cross the border? Anyone can fill me in on that?

Tx and peace to all

Eric
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
anthroguy
post Nov 13 2007, 06:44 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 49056

I thought about doing this trip earlier in the year, but I was discouraged by some Guatemalans who told me that the Mexican/Guatemalan border is getting to be a bad place right now. Villages are being burned again and the relations between the two countries are always a little tense. I'm not sure where in Mexico you are going to leave from, but I know that Chetumal has a bus that goes through Belize straight into the area that Tikal occupies.

Hope this helps!

QUOTE(erriuc @ Oct 6 2007, 12:30 PM) *

Hello travelers,

does anyone knows the best bus company to go from Mexico to Guatemala (Flores/Tical).
I know there is Bamba, is there another?
Also, I have heard this thing that they (Guatemaltec) sometimes illegaly ask for $ to cross the border? Anyone can fill me in on that?

Tx and peace to all

Eric
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
hdh
post Nov 20 2007, 09:00 PM
Post #3

Voyager

Member No.: 474

As of about 2 years ago, going in the other direction, any of the travel agencies in Flores could book you on a cobbled-together (minibus-boat-van) ride to Palenque. Took about 8 hours and from memory cost abut $30 (including the $5 bribe to the border guard on the Guate side). Assuming whoever was actually running it still is (anyone been there more recently?) you should be able to book it through any travel/tour agency (of which there are many) in Palenque.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Jessica_CDN
post Nov 20 2007, 09:03 PM
Post #4

Commuter

Member No.: 519

last year, I took a private minivan from Mexico (San Cristobal de las Casas) to Guatemala. It was a really nice trip, and not at all scary. We stopped at theborder to do some money exchange and get our passports stamped, which was a little intense (lots of people trying to get you to change money with them - be prepared, know the exchange rate!), but our driver really knew how to handle the situation.

I recommend going with a mid-range price...you can check out what I paid on my travelblog smile.gif

Good luck!

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
rbisset
post Nov 21 2007, 05:45 AM
Post #5

Planet Pioneer

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 692

QUOTE(Jessica_CDN @ Nov 21 2007, 02:03 AM) *

last year, I took a private minivan from Mexico (San Cristobal de las Casas) to Guatemala. It was a really nice trip, and not at all scary. We stopped at theborder to do some money exchange and get our passports stamped, which was a little intense (lots of people trying to get you to change money with them - be prepared, know the exchange rate!), but our driver really knew how to handle the situation.

I recommend going with a mid-range price...you can check out what I paid on my travelblog smile.gif

Good luck!

I did the trip from San Cristobal to Xela as well but tried to do it on my own. Still ended up costing me about $40 as I missed the 2 early buses to the border! The minibus trip from the hostel was $40 and would have saved a lot of hassle.

Blog Entry

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Jessica_CDN
post Nov 21 2007, 07:46 PM
Post #6

Commuter

Member No.: 519

Yeah Rich - I thought it would be easier that way. By then I'd had enough adventures on the buses in Mexico to forego them. (Got robbed from Puerto Escondido to San Cristobal. ugh!)

generally though I loved the buses in Mexico - helps to know which companies to use though - I wish I'd kept better records of that!

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2014 - 11:32 AM
Top Hotel Destinations in Mexico

Acapulco Hotels
Aguascalientes Hotels
Akumal Hotels
Cabo San Lucas Hotels
Cancun Hotels
Chihuahua Hotels
Ciudad Juarez Hotels
Cuernavaca Hotels
Guadalajara Hotels
Guanajuato Hotels
Hermosillo Hotels
Huatulco Hotels
La Paz Hotels
Leon Hotels
Manzanillo Hotels
Mazatlan Hotels
Merida Hotels
Mexico City Hotels
Monterrey Hotels
Morelia Hotels
Nuevo Vallarta Hotels
Oaxaca Hotels
Playa Paraiso Hotels
Playa del Carmen Hotels
Puebla Hotels
Puerto Aventuras Hotels
Puerto Morelos Hotels
Puerto Vallarta Hotels
Queretaro Hotels
Saltillo Hotels
San Cristobal de las Casas Hotels
San Jose Del Cabo Hotels
San Luis Potosí Hotels
San Miguel de Allende Hotels
Tampico Hotels
Tijuana Hotels
Tulum Hotels
Veracruz Hotels
Villahermosa Hotels
Zihuatanejo Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.