Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> NZ relocating/visiting advice, Best cities and how to visit them first
mimmik
post Sep 22 2005, 01:20 PM
Post #1

Wanderer

Group: Members
From: btween boulder, bulgaria, budapest, bangkok, burma, belfast and hopefully bnew zealand!
Member No.: 120

Hey--didn't know T-pod had a forum now?? Cool! Here's a reallllly long first post then. smile.gif

I'm prob moving to NZ to go be a student again starting early '06 and would love some advice from you experienced T-podders about potential living spots.

Between Auckland, Wellington and Christchurch, which would be the best for: -good/healthy/outdoor lifestyle--running, biking, tramping, sports clubs and teams, etc--all of NZ I think? smile.gif
-active and fun lifestyle for singles in their 30's/40's (I'm not really into the old bar/pub/party scene anymore)
-good opp's for cultural/learning stuff--live music/museums/community courses/etc.
-not too expensive for basic living costs
-fairly laid-back, ecological, progressive/liberally thinking population
-a bit silly but important: decent weather, as much sun as poss (even if it's cold or there's snow on the ground, as long as there is some sun sometimes!)--definitely not grey/rainy most of the time

And just found a great fare online (Air NZ), so I'm also prob going to flit over there in Oct for maybe 3 weeks to visit my top choices for schools/cities and would love to know a cheap/efficient way to do that (will be my first time in NZ). Renting a car would obviously be ideal, but too expensive--is the Intercity bus the best option then? Will plan on spending 4-5 days each in Ch-ch (flying into here), Well and Auckl (flying out of here), and would also like to hit Nelson and maybe 1-2 other nice spots along the way--any itinerary suggestions?

I've just started doing serious research and tho I'd been warned, I wasn't ready for the expense of hostels/backpackers (I just got back from Asia...). Any other options?

Thanks so much for any ideas that you have!
michelle

--------------------
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
whereshegoes
post Sep 22 2005, 02:01 PM
Post #2

Journeyer

Member No.: 5

Ok. If you are too worried about hostel expenses maybe you would like to camp. You would be getting there in the right season. Also there is an option called Couchsurfing. I just joined this site and its pretty cool. Check it out: couchsurfing.com.

The places I liked the best on the route you are speaking about were Takaka, Roturua, Taupo, Wanaka (a little outta the way from your path but SO amazing), Picton, Abel Tasman, um. a few others if you read my Tpd. It is an amazing Look at that photo...wow. and magical place.

Between the three cities I would say you will prolly end up in Ch-ch. But I will recommend Wellington if only because its in between and allows you easy access to everything.

I used intercity buses and had no problems but if you are going to be a while you may as well buy a vehicle because there are so many places that you cant get to unless on your own. Please feel free to contact me specifically for any questions because I have a few contacts there that may be able to help you out. Have fun! Its hard not to in such a beautiful country.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
kevandsian
post Sep 23 2005, 03:16 AM
Post #3

Voyager

Member No.: 241

Hi Michelle,

Lucky you! I'd love to go and live in NZ, but for now here are my thoughts...

I spent longer in Christchurch than in Auckland or Wellington and fell in love with Chch (I cant really say too much about Wellington as I wasn't there long enough),
but I think Chch could have everything you need. Auckland and Wellington are bigger than Christchurch and have much more of a city feel about them. Chch feels more like a large town but with heaps going on and has a really laid back feel. No matter where you go you're never far from nature, biking and tramping but in Chch it really is just on your doorstep. All 3 places would give you an active and fun lifestyle, I dont think you need to worry there, but because Chch is smaller maybe it might be easier to find what you're looking for and integrate?? As for the weather I think the North Island is a bit warmer.

You could consider buying a car which although sounds a bit unrealistic for a 3 week trip, could work if you look in the internet cafes for a car being sold by a traveller just about to leave. Those people just need to sell them on and we picked ours up in Chch within a few hours of arrival for NZ$250 and managed to sell it on in Auckland in just a couple of days, but for the price we bought it for, we were prepared to just give it away. This would give you the most flexibility and definitely worked out cheaper for us. As for places to see on the way, Taupo and Rotorua would be good.

Finally, might I suggest that instead of staying in hostels you could do what we did and stay with local people from the area. This would definitely give you a good feel for each city and you could pick up loads of tips on the best things to see and do. We organised this through www.globalfreeloaders.com but there are several similar sites and I can't recommend it enough! Feel free to get in touch if you want more info on this.

Have a great time!

Sian
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Jambo
post Sep 23 2005, 12:00 PM
Post #4

Voyager

Member No.: 259

I lived in New Zealand for most of my life, including 18 years in Wellington. I guess that makes me a bit biased towards Wellington, but it is an awesome little city. Let me see if I can comment on your specific questions below:

Between Auckland, Wellington and Christchurch, which would be the best for: -

good/healthy/outdoor lifestyle--running, biking, tramping, sports clubs and teams, etc--all of NZ I think? Probably even between the three cities. Auckland is a large city so you'd have to travel a bit further to really be out in the countryside. Wellington is the most mountainous, so good for cycling/tramping. All 3 have plenty of sports - any particular sports you're interested in?

-active and fun lifestyle for singles in their 30's/40's (I'm not really into the old bar/pub/party scene anymore)

-good opp's for cultural/learning stuff--live music/museums/community courses/etc. Wellington has a lot of theatre, concerts, the national museum, etc. Auckland gets the biggest acts, as the largest city, and also has the most diverse community.

-not too expensive for basic living costs Christchurch would be first, followed by Wellington and then Auckland.

-fairly laid-back, ecological, progressive/liberally thinking population Auckland's got a fair number of yuppies, Wellington has plenty of civil servants, so Christchurch is probably the most easy-going. Wellington is quite artsy though.

-a bit silly but important: decent weather, as much sun as poss (even if it's cold or there's snow on the ground, as long as there is some sun sometimes!)--definitely not grey/rainy most of the time Auckland is the sunniest, although Chch generally has nice weather. Wellington can have the most gorgeous days imaginable but it is also the windiest city in the world. During the winter, temperatures across the country will rarely drop below, say, +5 celsius, except in the deep south. It rains a fair bit in autumn/winter.

Hopefully this is of some use to you. Any other questions?

I honestly think that Wellington is one of the best places to live, anywhere, but you wouldn't go wrong with either of those other two places.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
mimmik
post Sep 25 2005, 12:01 AM
Post #5

Wanderer

From: btween boulder, bulgaria, budapest, bangkok, burma, belfast and hopefully bnew zealand!

Hey thanks for the info you 3, great stuff and I'm checking out the links. Will most likely be contacting you for more insider info soon, beware... smile.gif

Sian, I've looked before at globalfreeloaders.com but always hesitated for some reason, but yesterday went ahead and signed up this time--looks like a very groovy way of meeting people and seeing a place, so will be right up my alley. And couchsurfing.com--wow, very cool as well--wehereshegoes, have you tried it yet?

Jambo--great detailed answers, but nothing on the social scene Q--intentional? smile.gif

I'll look into the buying a car thing--maybe that would be the smart way to go if I'l lbe back there in Jan/Feb anyway, but where to store it in the meantime, plus I'd prob have to pay insurance on it for 3+ months while I'm not using it? Hmmm, something to check into tho.

Thanks again and let me know if you have any more brain storms.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
whereshegoes
post Sep 25 2005, 05:42 AM
Post #6

Journeyer

Member No.: 5

I have tried the couchsurfing.com and it was amazing. I wrote about my 1st experience a few days ago in my Odyssey travelpod. I am planning on doing a lot more in Spain. Feel free to contact me whenever you want for advice smile.gif

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
kevandsian
post Sep 25 2005, 08:04 AM
Post #7

Voyager

Member No.: 241

You can also try www.hospitalityclub.org - I have used this site as well as globalfreeloaders and found both to be great having stayed with people in Australia, New Zealand, Asia, North and South America. The people you meet are just amazing.

My experience is that Hospitality Club seems to have more members but you are more likely to get a higher positive response rate from globalfreeloaders (generally speaking). People leave references about each other too so you can read what other travellers have said about each other.

I've also joined couchsurfing.com but only recently so can't comment on this just yet. I've now started to 'repay the debt' and am hosting people from other countries, here in Scotland.

Like Carmella, you can also read about my 'freeloading' experiences on our RTW travelpod : members/kevandsian.

Go ahead, take the plunge, I'm sure you'll love it! Whatever you do, be sure to let us know how you get on!

Sian
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Jambo
post Sep 26 2005, 02:49 PM
Post #8

Voyager

Member No.: 259

Jambo--great detailed answers, but nothing on the social scene Q--intentional?
Well, it seemed pretty similar to the following category, so I wasn't quite sure what you meant, especially when you said you weren't really into pubs & clubs. unsure.gif

Anyway, these 'bludging' sites (e.g. couchsurfing) seem like a good idea and I'm sure you'd have no shortage of people willing to put you up. If you don't like it, then the worst is that you would have had one bad night.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
mimmik
post Sep 29 2005, 03:04 PM
Post #9

Wanderer

Well, just got my ticket to go over to NZ next month to check it all out, so a big thanks for your ideas. Still not sold on the car-buying thing (!) for the 4 weeks, but nothing's impossible--most likely will end up with a bus pass I think.

And I'm wading thru all the possibilities on globalfreeloaders--if you have any recommendations or hints on how to chose someone, let me know.

btw, I've PM'd you all--ha ha!

thanks,
m

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd September 2014 - 01:20 PM
Top Hotel Destinations in New Zealand

Akaroa Hotels
Arrowtown Hotels
Auckland Hotels
Blenheim Hotels
Christchurch Hotels
Coromandel Hotels
Dunedin Hotels
Fox Glacier Hotels
Franz Josef Hotels
Gisborne Hotels
Greymouth Hotels
Hamilton Hotels
Hanmer Springs Hotels
Hastings Hotels
Hokitika Hotels
Invercargill Hotels
Kaikoura Hotels
Kerikeri Hotels
Lake Tekapo Hotels
Mangere Hotels
Napier Hotels
Nelson Hotels
New Plymouth Hotels
Oamaru Hotels
Paihia Hotels
Palmerston North Hotels
Picton Hotels
Queenstown Hotels
Rotorua Hotels
Russell Hotels
Taupo Hotels
Tauranga Hotels
Te Anau Hotels
Timaru Hotels
Waiheke Island Hotels
Wanaka Hotels
Wanganui Hotels
Wellington Hotels
Whangarei Hotels
Whitianga Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.