Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> some advices before you come to China, things you need to prepare
rebecca7
post Nov 26 2009, 01:36 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 534381

Chinese people are on the whole very friendly, but also curious, particularly if they do not see many westerners. They are also racist (in a non-agressive way) and believe that they are the most civilised people in the world.

Food is generally very good, even though you may not know what you are eating. It is eaten with chopsticks only, but this is easy to get used to. It is not like the food you find in a western Chinese restaurant and there is usually no such thing as different courses. All food is placed in the centre of the table and you help others and yourself.

donít bring to much cash with you,in china,credit cards,tourist cheques are available in large cities.if you will visit large cities,using a credit card is convbenient.If you will visit some small towns where credit card canít be used,take more cash.

Choose a good travel agency.
A renowned travel agency may cost you more,but it will provide better service,better tour guide ,better hotels and better mood.

always bring a calculator with you. you will need it to negiciate prices when you buy things, just tap and they will tap you back the amount. This is how chinese people make business or buy things, they communicate a lot through Calculators !!

Check the weather of the city where you will going,if you come to beijing in winter,advice bring warm clothes with you.

If you plan a long holiday in china,you could buy a cheap SIM phone card,it will helpful for you when you need help.Also, remember some emergency telephone number.
I just think up these,wish will be help for friends!!
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
luke_1989
post Nov 26 2009, 08:08 AM
Post #2

Pathfinder

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 266185

Hi Rebecca

Many thanks for the adivise and i will be buying a calculator now to take with me :-D.

Also have you got any good asdvise on getting a visa before you go to China? I plan to arrive in July time but will be traveling beforehand from April In South East Asia.
How does it work getting a visa before is it open dated so the time starts when you arrive in the country or do you have to have a specific date to give(Im from the United Kingdom)

Many thanks

Luke
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
rebecca9
post Nov 27 2009, 01:51 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 533841

QUOTE(luke_1989 @ Nov 26 2009, 08:08 AM) *

Hi Rebecca

Many thanks for the adivise and i will be buying a calculator now to take with me :-D.

Also have you got any good asdvise on getting a visa before you go to China? I plan to arrive in July time but will be traveling beforehand from April In South East Asia.
How does it work getting a visa before is it open dated so the time starts when you arrive in the country or do you have to have a specific date to give(Im from the United Kingdom)

Many thanks

Luke

Hi Luke,

I donít know what kinds of journey you plan,for business or just travel by yourself?
If you are a business or a travel agency tour,that will be easy,because your initerary is fixed,so your visa expire time will just fit your time.
But if you plan your journey by yourself,you should to make a plan, first how many countries will you visit,and which date will you arrive China and when to leave,make sure your visa expire is effect .
When you apply visa to china ,you need to submit some files to the Chinese Embassy in London,passport or the certificate replace for passport,write a application for visa,and two pieces of photo of yourself,maybe some Proof of income documents,advice you ask some office for details.
Bellow are some rules for your reference

British nationals require visas to enter the mainland of China, but not Hong Kong. Visas must be obtained prior to arrival, including for Hainan Island where an earlier exemption was withdrawn in June 2008. For details of entry requirements to China you should contact the Chinese Embassy in London in good time before your proposed trip. It is currently very difficult to change visa category in country.

You should carefully check your visa validity as fines are levied for overstaying.
Passport validity
Your passport should have a minimum validity of six months on arrival in China.

Registering with the Chinese authorities
You are required to register your place of residence with the local Public Security Bureau within 24 hours of arrival. Chinese authorities are now actively enforcing this requirement. If you are staying in a hotel, registration is done on your behalf as part of the check-in process.

Travelling to Hong Kong
If you visit Hong Kong from the mainland of China you will require a double or multiple entry visa to gain re-entry to the mainland.
Transiting China

If you are transiting China en route to a third country you do not require a transit visa if you are staying within the confines of the airport for less than 24 hours. If your stopover requires you to leave the airport, you will need a transit visa for both the outward and return journeys.
Travelling with children

Single parents or other adults travelling alone with children should be aware that some countries require documentary evidence of parental responsibility before allowing lone parents to enter the country or, in some cases, before permitting the children to leave. For further information on exactly what will be required at immigration please contact the Chinese Embassy in London.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
luke_1989
post Nov 27 2009, 01:33 PM
Post #4

Pathfinder

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 266185

Thanks ive found you advise very useful :-).. I am traveling as a tourist.

Luke
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
rebecca9
post Nov 29 2009, 08:44 PM
Post #5

QUOTE(chithanh119 @ Nov 27 2009, 10:42 PM) *

First I would say to thank you because the advices you provide is very useful for my next trip and other people hope you will continue sharing now in coming days.

I am so glad that it is help for everyone who plans come to China,i will go to share!And if anyone have questions about beijing , just tell me!
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
rebecca9
post Nov 29 2009, 10:21 PM
Post #6

Exploring Beijing by subway is a fast and convenient (and jam-free!) way to get from A to B. (Rides are CNY 2 per person for unlimited mileage across city lines except for the airpot link.) You can get to a lot of "big places" using the expanding underground rail network:

Line 1: Xidan shopping area, National Center for the Performing Arts ("Big Egg"), Tian'anmen, Wangfujing, Jianguomen Ancient Observatory, Beijing's CBD (including CCTV "Big Pants" building) Line 2: Yonghegong Lama Temple, Beijing Railway Station, Zhengyangmen Front Gate and Qianmen Shopping Avenue, Tian'anmen, Zoo near Xizhimen, Drum Tower / Houhai / Lakes region Line 5: Yonghegong Lama Temple, Guijie (Dongzhimennei) Food Street, Dongdan / Wangfujing shopping areas, Temple of Heaven Line 8: Olympic Green (Bird's Nest, Water Cube, and the rest) Line 10: Zhongguancun tech hub, hotels on eastern 3rd Ring, Beijing CBD (CCTV "Big Pants") Line 13: Wudaokou university hangout hub, westernmost fringes of Wangjing (Beijing's Koreatown)

The Batong Line has very few points of interest.

There's also a direct link to the airport.

When you arrive beijing airport ,you could take the subay directly to the place you want to,if you are confused about which lines and which stops will you drop off,you could seek advice from the airport staff,because most of them can speak English,you could told them your hoted number for reference,so you could more clear about your initerary.

User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
rebecca9
post Dec 8 2009, 12:42 AM
Post #7

hi friends,
how is everyone these days? Now it will be the end of this year,hope we all have a good happy new year ,i am busy withe my work,and dream have a holiday !!
what's your wishes? share with me ?
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
fdakuae
post Dec 29 2009, 05:27 PM
Post #8

Drifter

Member No.: 517951

Thanks allot rebecca9 great advices, I wish to know if there is theme park we can visit at Beijing? Do you think Beijing a good place for a group of members have many kids, adults, old people? I am not sure how many days is enough to visit The great wall, The Forbbiden city? do you advice me to visit both of them or there is much more places worth a visit ?

I wish you all good luck in 2010 year, I wish I can visit China in coming year and have all my bests. cheers
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th April 2014 - 07:01 AM
Top Hotel Destinations in China

Beijing Hotels
Changchun Hotels
Changsha Hotels
Chengdu Hotels
Chongqing Hotels
Dalian Hotels
Dongguan Hotels
Foshan Hotels
Fuzhou Hotels
Guangzhou Hotels
Guilin Hotels
Haikou Hotels
Hangzhou Hotels
Harbin Hotels
Hefei Hotels
Hong Kong Hotels
Jinan Hotels
Kunming Hotels
Lanzhou Hotels
Lijiang Hotels
Nanchang Hotels
Nanjing Hotels
Nanning Hotels
Ningbo Hotels
Qingdao Hotels
Sanya Hotels
Shanghai Hotels
Shenyang Hotels
Shenzhen Hotels
Suzhou Hotels
Taiyuan Hotels
Tianjin Hotels
Urumqi Hotels
Wenzhou Hotels
Wuhan Hotels
Wuxi Hotels
Xi'an Hotels
Xiamen Hotels
Zhengzhou Hotels
Zhuhai Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.