Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

> Thailand visa questions, A catch 22?
gnasher
post Nov 24 2009, 10:43 AM
Post #1

Drifter

Group: Members
Member No.: 364341

I am going to Thailand in December. Although I will probably come back again, initially the free 30 day Visa should be fine, as I am planning on getting a train to Cambodia from that point.

However, I am reading that they are quite strict these days in that I need to show proof that I am leaving the country within 30 days? i.e. flight details etc. However I will not be flying, I will be going by train...

How can I get around this? I realise there is a 3 month tourist visa available also but for a number of reasons I am trying to avoid having to get one.

Can anyone shed any light on this please? How likely am I to be asked for proof of leaving within 30 days?
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 9)
starlagurl
post Nov 24 2009, 11:07 AM
Post #2

Rolling Stone

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 103914

I guess you're taking the train to Nong Khai?

http://www.railway.co.th/English/FareRate.asp

I would call the railway company and ask if they can book in advance. It doesn't look like it, but you never know.

I don't know about Thailand, but usually, if you just prove you have enough money to leave, that is OK too.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
barsie
post Nov 24 2009, 12:45 PM
Post #3

Globetrotter

Member No.: 195337

They aren't strict- unless you happen to look very poor you'll not have a problem.

I'd do a print of from here http://www.seat61.com/ of the train timetables and highlight the train you'll probably take.

Do you have return flights booked at any point? They would accept those as proof you'll be returning to farangland.

I'd really not worry about it- proof of on going travel will not be a problem.

--------------------
Would be life traveler.

Visit BackPackingShop
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
gnasher
post Nov 25 2009, 06:01 AM
Post #4

Drifter

Thanks, will check those. No I don't have a return flight booked, as I am heading on to New Zealand after SE Asia (just not 100% sure on what date yet as would like to play it by ear!)

User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
gnasher
post Dec 1 2009, 09:43 AM
Post #5

Drifter

Right I've just had confirmation from Thai Air that they do check for proof of onward travel before boarding the plane - or failing that a valid visa for entry. So basically I cannot just arrive and get a 30 day visa unless I have proof of a flight out of there after wards.

So I am thinking I will apply for a 60 day tourist Visa before hand as will be returning to Thailand in that time anyway.

However, can anyone tell me what the deal is with Thai visas? On the form it says applications MUST be submitted by hand in London, which is really not convenient considering I am 2 hours away, don't drive and working most days before I go.

Have tried calling the Thai embassy on the two numbers provided but both are no longer in service!

Helpful!
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
gnasher
post Dec 1 2009, 10:55 AM
Post #6

Drifter

Nevermind lol, found an agency that will do it for me...
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
gnasher
post Dec 9 2009, 03:40 AM
Post #7

Drifter

I was more concerned about my airline who specifically said they would check when I asked... so have got a 3 month Visa now anyway which probably makes more sense now anyway!

Cheers for your help
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
cabbing
post Dec 19 2009, 08:56 AM
Post #8

Member No.: 453031

QUOTE(gnasher @ Nov 24 2009, 10:43 AM) *

I am going to Thailand in December. Although I will probably come back again, initially the free 30 day Visa should be fine, as I am planning on getting a train to Cambodia from that point.

However, I am reading that they are quite strict these days in that I need to show proof that I am leaving the country within 30 days? i.e. flight details etc. However I will not be flying, I will be going by train...

How can I get around this? I realise there is a 3 month tourist visa available also but for a number of reasons I am trying to avoid having to get one.

Can anyone shed any light on this please? How likely am I to be asked for proof of leaving within 30 days?

We arrived on 7 December and they stamped our passport with an exit date for 8 January. So we are in Hua Hin now for 3 weeks and will return to Bangkok on 2 January, then go on to Vietnam by train etc.. If we fly back to Thailand we can get another 30 visa, is we return by land it's only 15 days. We checked this with imigration at Bangkok airport.
there was no query about our onward journey when we arrived, we are on a 12 month round the world trip and our next exit showed departing from Singapore on 24 February.

One thing to be aware of is if anyone arrives by land from Malasia, you are only allowed to stay for 15 days. Alot of travel companies offer visa runs to over the borders, ie Hua Hin to Cambodia 1,000 baht.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
starlagurl
post Dec 21 2009, 10:46 AM
Post #9

Rolling Stone

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 103914

Thanks for that "on the ground" information cabbing! It's very useful.

Welcome to the forums too!

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Paul
post Mar 10 2010, 10:24 PM
Post #10

Navigator

Member No.: 98

The problem isn't when you arrive in Thailand - they are unlikely to check for onward ticket there.

But there is a problem in some countries (Australia is one) that the airlines check for an onward ticket - if you don't have one, then you can't board your flight in Australia.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st August 2014 - 07:28 PM
Top Hotel Destinations in Thailand

Ayutthaya Hotels
Bangkok Hotels
Cha-am Hotels
Chaweng Hotels
Chiang Mai Hotels
Chiang Rai Hotels
Chon Buri Hotels
Hat Yai Hotels
Hua Hin Hotels
Kanchanaburi Hotels
Kathu Hotels
Khao Lak Hotels
Khon Kaen Hotels
Ko Lanta Hotels
Ko Phangan Hotels
Ko Phi Phi Don Hotels
Ko Tao Hotels
Krabi Hotels
Lampang Hotels
Loei Hotels
Mae Hong Son Hotels
Nakorn Ratchasima Hotels
Nakorn Si Thammarat Hotels
Narathiwat Hotels
Nonthaburi Hotels
Pai Hotels
Patong Hotels
Pattaya Hotels
Phangnga Hotels
Phetchaburi Hotels
Phitsanulok Hotels
Rawai Hotels
Rayong Hotels
Songkhla Hotels
Sukhothai Hotels
Surat Thani Hotels
Tak Hotels
Trang Hotels
Trat Hotels
Udon Thani Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.