Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Another Itinerary Advice Topic
crissmancd
post Nov 23 2009, 07:08 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 531151

I just stumbled upon this site and have been enjoying the forums. I am planning on going to Argentina for 3 weeks in April. Do you think that's enough time to visit Buenos Aires, Iguazu Falls, Bariloche and El Calafate? Would you advise booking flights beforehand or go to a travel agent while I'm there? I'm also considering taking a bus for one of these legs. Thanks for your advise!
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
kathryn77
post Nov 23 2009, 07:46 PM
Post #2

Vagabond

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 30044

I'm unsure off the top of my head where El Calafate is, but the other 3 are definitely do-able in 3 weeks. I bussed all around and picked tickets up as I went. Try to stop in Mendoza too, it's beautiful! And also, if you can see the Brazilian side of the falls too, it's worth it - you can get there by local bus from the Argentinian side in half an hour or so for $1

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
laorfamily
post Nov 23 2009, 08:55 PM
Post #3

Vagabond

Member No.: 30320

Absolutely doable. El Calafate is in Southern Argentina I believe but well worth the trip.

--------------------
Living Well Is The Best Revenge

Going Down South to North Carolina
Book Reviews: http://www.ManOfLaBook.com
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
mmbcross
post Nov 24 2009, 01:12 AM
Post #4

Tripper

Member No.: 2195

Yes, you should be able to make all these places in three weeks.

Buy your domestic tickets as you go. I suggest you fly to Iguassu as it's over 24 hours by bus, and there is little else to see in this area. Do a one, or better still, a two-day visit so you can do the Brazilian side as Kathryn suggests.

Argentina is awfully big. The bus from BA to Bariloche is also 24 hours, so you will probably end up flying to Bariloche and El Calafate. In my experience, fares tend to be cheaper when purchased in local currency (or credit card) within the country, but that could change.

I do suggest a visit to Mendoza. We did it on an overnight bus, supremely comfortable, spent two days and loved it. You might look into a bus service from Mendoza to Bariloche. It takes about 17 hours, but the buses are really comfortable, and its a pretty spectacular trip along the foothills of the Andes.

Do try to spend at least one night in an estancia on the Pampas. We stayed at one near San Antonio de Areco, and lovely little cowboy town just a few hours out of BA.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
crissmancd
post Nov 24 2009, 01:19 PM
Post #5

Group: Members
Member No.: 531151

Thanks for all the recommendations. Sounds like I should check out Mendoza as well. Here's a follow-up question: I'd like to be able to take my time on the trip. If I decide to skip one of these places (save it for a 2nd trip), what would you suggest? Would the falls be that spectacular after summer? Thanks again.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
mmbcross
post Nov 29 2009, 12:41 AM
Post #6

Tripper

Member No.: 2195

I think crissmancd meant water levels at Iguassu rather than climate. The best time to see the falls at full strength is during the rainy season that is from November to February. Water levels will be at their lowest in August, September and October. At times it just becomes a piddle in October if the weather has been particularly dry.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th July 2014 - 05:07 PM
Top Hotel Destinations in Argentina

Buenos Aires Hotels
Cafayate Hotels
Capilla del Monte Hotels
Carilo Hotels
Chacras de Coria Hotels
Cordoba Hotels
Corrientes Hotels
El Bolson Hotels
El Calafate Hotels
El Chalten Hotels
Esquel Hotels
La Cumbre Hotels
La Falda Hotels
Mar del Plata Hotels
Mendoza Hotels
Neuquen Hotels
Pilar Hotels
Pinamar Hotels
Puerto Iguazu Hotels
Puerto Madryn Hotels
Puerto Piramides Hotels
Purmamarca Hotels
Rosario Hotels
Salta Hotels
San Antonio de Areco Hotels
San Carlos de Bariloche Hotels
San Juan Hotels
San Martin de los Andes Hotels
San Miguel de Tucuman Hotels
San Rafael Hotels
San Salvador de Jujuy Hotels
Santa Fe Hotels
Tigre Hotels
Tilcara Hotels
Trelew Hotels
Ushuaia Hotels
Villa Carlos Paz Hotels
Villa General Belgrano Hotels
Villa Gesell Hotels
Villa La Angostura Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.