Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

Closed TopicStart new topic
> India- Mumbai - Goa, advice
burner
post Sep 17 2007, 01:42 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 89692

Hi All!

We are travelling to India next month for a short stop over. We will be going to a wedding in Mumbai for 4 days then travelling down to Goa for 2 weeks.
Can anyone suggest a 'must see' list for Mumbai and Goa>?

Also some cool places to stay in Goa, good beaches, good food and parties a must! I was toying with the idea of renting a scooter in Goa ... anyone got advice on this

Much appreciated!
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
wakingdream
post Sep 19 2007, 02:07 PM
Post #2

Rolling Stone

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 13336

Hey Burner!

first thing you can do is post your question to our Local expert in India, Sharon. You can find the thread here.

I've not been to Mumbai so I don't have any personal advice for you, but I did find a few links. You've likely searched and found some things to see and do as well!

Mumbai Attractions Some of these sound great!

Elephanta Island is a World Heritage Monument and sounds really cool to see. Gateway of India seems to be on the top of most lists. Also, I've read about the Haji Ali Mosque a number of times. It's said you can walk the path (it's found in the middle of the ocean!) and you can get there during low tide.

Aside from the beaches, which are the biggest attraction, Old Goa sounds really great. The architecture from colonial times is supposed to be really interesting and beautiful!

Below is a link for Indian festivals for next month. There are a few. I think festivals are a great way to get a more intimate glimpse into local cultures. These ones sound really colorful and lively!
Indian Festivals In October

Have a great time! smile.gif

--------------------
~Susie

'Yesterday's the past and tomorrow's the future. Today is a gift - which is why they call it the present.'
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
sharon1306
post Sep 20 2007, 02:55 AM
Post #3

Wayfarer

Member No.: 986

Hi Burner,

Mumbai is definitely a sensory experienceÖ Where in Mumbai will you be located for 4 days, and how many days do you have free? If this is your first trip to the city then must-seeís would include : The Gateway of India (next to the Taj Mahal Hotel), Victoria Terminus (gothic building that looks more like a cathedral than a train stationÖ ), Marine Drive (popular promenade stretching from Nariman Point to the foot of Malabar Hill), Haji Aliís Mosque (containing the tomb of Muslim Saint Haji Ali, accessible at low tide), Mahalaxmi Dhobi Ghat (good photo op), Mahalaxmi Temple (located close of Haji Ali). If you have more time, you could visit the Elephanta Island to see the rock-cut temples. Mumbai also has some very good shopping and excellent restaurants. There are high-end malls or markets like Crawford Market where you literally can get anything... If you're adventurous, you might want to try the street food at Bade Miya's, kebabs to die for...

For places to stay in GoaÖ Basically, you need to decide if you want to stay in the north or the south. The south has lots of upmarket, self-contained resorts and thereís less tourist development and is more laid-back. The north has more nightlife and is livelier, although more crowded and noisy. If good food and parties are important, I suggest staying somewhere in the north. Must sees in goa would include: the Fontainhas area of Panjim, west of Ourem Creek (narrow cobbled streets, balconies, old tiled buildings), the whitewashed Church of Immaculate Conception that towers about the main square, Old Goa and the Basilica of Bom Jesus (famous because it contains the mortal remains of St Francis Xavier), Mapusa Friday market is worth a visit, so is the Anjuna Flea Market on Wednesdays.

About renting a scooter, Goaís one of the few places in India where its actually easy, and I think itís a good way to enjoy Goa. There are all kinds of bikes available on rent. Youíll be asked passport details and your hotel details. I suggest wearing a helmet at all times, although the cops usually fine only on the highways. Make sure youíre carrying the required paperwork. The roads are quite good here compared to other parts of India, but you need to exercise caution, especially if you donít have much experience riding motorcycles.

Sharon
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
burner
post Sep 20 2007, 10:28 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 89692

Thanks guys,

I have been to Mumbai times with work but have not seen any sights unfortunately, it is a fantastic place and the people are great! We are staying in the Radio Club in Colaba, this has been booked already for us. The guy who is getting married has 2 days of ceremonies, so we have a good 5 days free.

We then fly to Goa and stay in Cavla initially as there is a party to celebrate the wedding there!

I was thinking of spending 3 or 4 night in different resorts, traveling from North to South.... Also do you think this can be done if we were to hire a moped/ bike?
PB
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
sharon1306
post Sep 21 2007, 01:36 AM
Post #5

Wayfarer

Member No.: 986

I like the Colaba area, great for shopping, lots of nice restaurants etc. 5 days is more than enough time to explore the city.

Iím not familiar with Cavla, did you mean Colva? Indian weddings are intense affairs, Iím sure youíll have a wonderful time immersing yourself in all the chaos that usually accompanies one. You can definitely change resorts if you like, maybe split your time between the north and the south. I suggest hiring your bike from somewhere in the locality and using it for surrounding areas only. Donít take the bike and ride from north to south (and vice versa) as it will be a 30kms+ ride and not comfortable at all, plus Iím assuming youíll have baggage. Once to get to the next resort, you can hire another one from that area.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

Closed TopicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th August 2014 - 11:06 PM
Top Hotel Destinations in India

Agra Hotels
Ahmedabad Hotels
Alappuzha Hotels
Amritsar Hotels
Bangalore Hotels
Bardez Hotels
Bhubaneswar Hotels
Calangute Hotels
Candolim Hotels
Chennai (Madras) Hotels
Darjeeling Hotels
Gangtok Hotels
Goa Hotels
Gurgaon Hotels
Haridwar Hotels
Hyderabad Hotels
Indore Hotels
Jaipur Hotels
Jaisalmer Hotels
Jodhpur Hotels
Kochi Hotels
Kodaikanal Hotels
Kolkata (Calcutta) Hotels
Kovalam Hotels
Manali Hotels
Mumbai (Bombay) Hotels
Munnar Hotels
Mussoorie Hotels
Mysore Hotels
Nainital Hotels
New Delhi Hotels
Ootacamund Hotels
Pondicherry Hotels
Pune Hotels
Salcette Hotels
Shimla Hotels
Srinagar Hotels
Thiruvananthapuram (Trivandrum) Hotels
Udaipur Hotels
Varanasi Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.