Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Italy out of the ordinary routes
piacentina
post Sep 14 2007, 10:07 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 88763

As a consummate traveller, I'm quite aware of the need for finding alternative or new routes of travelling around a country. In some places this problem is quite easy to address, see e.g. Thailand, Cambodia and Asia in general, where you may find guided tours or guides at any corner, whether institutional or private, taking you almost all over, even to the remotest spot. Or, you may always rent a car or motorbike that takes you anywhere. But if you're without transport, then it gets difficult to move. So you are simply to skip certain memorable places.
I live in Milan, Italy, but I've never had concerns about travelling here, as I usually travel abroad when on holydays. I know my country well, and take 1-day tours with my partner every weekend, particularly to areas not farther than 50-100 km from my city.
Since last summer holiday I've thought about the above drawback over and over, and it came to my mind that most tourists going around my contry just simply miss some opportunities, like visiting the Piacenza hilly area or the mountains close to Milan (the areas I definitely know as my pockets!), which are quite lovely retreats from the hustle-and-bustle of the city, and where they can find, besides natural beauties, quiet gorgeous landscapes, sport activities like trekking, also (and especially) fantastic food and wine, which are usually unknown due to other more renowned italian regions and regional specialties. Prices over there are quite less than anywhere else in Italy, because they tipically are destinations for locals (they are out of the ordinary routes). In addition, these areas (especially Piacenza hills) are famous for agritourism, so you may find lots of farms with local handmade food and wine and accomodation capacity.
I'd like to start an activity as a tourist guide to those peculiar places, for tourists spending some days in Milan willing to see something else besides the city itself. I was thinking of one-day tours departing from Milan, with cultural visits to castles and vineyards or treks up the mountains, ending with a fantastic dinner in an agritourism facility. Advice and suggestions from all travellers on this website would be appreciated, as well as questions.
Nicole
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th July 2014 - 04:49 PM
Top Hotel Destinations

Acapulco Hotels
Atlanta Hotels
Austin Hotels
Beijing Hotels
Cancun Hotels
Charlotte Hotels
Chicago Hotels
Dallas Hotels
Denver Hotels
Honolulu Hotels
Houston Hotels
Indianapolis Hotels
Kissimmee Hotels
Las Vegas Hotels
London Hotels
Los Angeles Hotels
Mexico City Hotels
Miami Hotels
Miami Beach Hotels
Montreal Hotels
Myrtle Beach Hotels
Nashville Hotels
Negril Hotels
New Orleans Hotels
New York City Hotels
Orlando Hotels
Paris Hotels
Phoenix Hotels
Playa del Carmen Hotels
Puerto Plata Hotels
Puerto Vallarta Hotels
Punta Cana Hotels
Rome Hotels
San Antonio Hotels
San Diego Hotels
San Francisco Hotels
Seattle Hotels
Tampa Hotels
Toronto Hotels
Washington DC Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.