Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> My new life in Dubai
raniroo
post Aug 23 2007, 11:03 PM
Post #1

Sightseer

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 19411

I have been offered a job in Dubai and am leaving Oz shores next week. I am planning on doing some trips around the peninsula.

Of course, I have checked out Intrepid/Imaginative Traveller/Geckos etc, but wondering if there are any other companies out there that offer similar trips to those mentioned.

I am looking forward to exploring the region. Any tips and advice would be great.

Cheers

R

hyper.gif

--------------------
If you really look like your passport photo, you need the holiday!

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
wakingdream
post Aug 28 2007, 10:29 AM
Post #2

Rolling Stone

Member No.: 13336

Congratulations on the new job!! Must be a very exciting prospect!!

I don't have any advice to offer but hope you have a really great time smile.gif

--------------------
~Susie

'Yesterday's the past and tomorrow's the future. Today is a gift - which is why they call it the present.'
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
azizam
post Dec 2 2007, 10:34 AM
Post #3

Group: Members
Member No.: 111610
Nominate me as a Local Expert

QUOTE(raniroo @ Aug 23 2007, 11:03 PM) *

I have been offered a job in Dubai and am leaving Oz shores next week. I am planning on doing some trips around the peninsula.

Of course, I have checked out Intrepid/Imaginative Traveller/Geckos etc, but wondering if there are any other companies out there that offer similar trips to those mentioned.

I am looking forward to exploring the region. Any tips and advice would be great.

Cheers

R

hyper.gif

I have just come back from Dubai, one of many trips there, fortuntly for me my B/F has family there. There are so many sights for you to see. A definate must is Wildwadi, best waterpark I've ever been. also the Carrefour shopping centre for those lttle indulgences, a trip to the emirates towers is a must and a lil slurp of shisha by the creek ata little cafe called fatafeets.

Enjoy!
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
peacefrog
post Apr 2 2008, 05:17 PM
Post #4

Pathfinder

Member No.: 581

QUOTE(raniroo @ Aug 24 2007, 06:03 AM) *

Cheers

R

hyper.gif

Hey Raniroo,

Any updates on that subject?

--------------------
A day back around the world

« Sans curiosité on meurt et sans courage on ne vit pas. »
[ Hugo Pratt ]
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
nomadic
post Apr 3 2008, 04:31 AM
Post #5

Drifter

Member No.: 157727

I assume you are already well settled in Dubai....I would recommend a trip to Abu Dhabi, despite what my blog says....in fact I feel as if I owe it to the place to encourage visitors!
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
peacefrog
post Apr 3 2008, 06:19 AM
Post #6

Pathfinder

Member No.: 581

QUOTE(nomadic @ Apr 3 2008, 11:31 AM) *

I assume you are already well settled in Dubai....I would recommend a trip to Abu Dhabi, despite what my blog says....in fact I feel as if I owe it to the place to encourage visitors!

Not yet actually

And I am trying to convince myself that there are things I will like in the UAE

Will definitely go to Abu Dhabi, but I'd like to know how accessible are countries like Oman and Yemen

--------------------
A day back around the world

« Sans curiosité on meurt et sans courage on ne vit pas. »
[ Hugo Pratt ]
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
introducinlyric
post Apr 3 2008, 10:21 PM
Post #7

Rolling Stone

Member No.: 56605

QUOTE(raniroo @ Aug 23 2007, 11:03 PM) *

Cheers

R

hyper.gif

Congratulations raniroo! a new job and a chance to travel - best of both worlds really party.gif
let us know how it goes

--------------------
Do You Want The Truth or Something Beautiful?
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
nomadic
post Apr 4 2008, 03:58 AM
Post #8

Drifter

I know not of Oman, but a good friend of mine spent several years living in Yemen learning arabic, so could ask him. I think whether you will enjoy UAE will depend on your own life experiences. I spent a lot of time in South Asia, so there are two things which don't sit very well with me about Gulf countries - 1) the lack of feeling any depth of culture or vibrancy and 2) the reliance (and often poor treatment) of workers from the Asian sub continent. Both things may not bother you at all, who knows. If you like bland ex-pat lifestyle and shopping you are in for a treat. Whether you are male or female, single, married, with kids, etc will also make a difference. As an example - personally (as a female) I find travelling in Arab countries a pleasure since I have had kids - it has bought me a lot of respect and allowed me to interact more freely with people. Let me know if you want me to explore the Yemen question for you.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
raniroo
post Apr 6 2008, 01:10 PM
Post #9

Sightseer

Thanks everybody for your tips. I am now settled in Dubai (and had a change of job already, which is for the best). As for the tour companies that offer trips....there aren't any that are budget consious, everything is private.

Dubai is very much an expat haven and sometimes I feel it lacks any culture or tradition and can be a little boring, there is only so many times you can do a Friday brunch (which is a very popular thing to do)

However, I have recently spent a wonderful 3 days in Muscat, Oman. Check out my blog for details. My hotel was nice and they recommended a great tour company call Alwan Tours. Talal, the owner, offered a dolphin tour and a day out in the 4WD to the Wadi's, at very competitive prices.

The peninsula is quite expensive and I think it comes from a number of things. Of course, oil and money that comes with that. Alot of locals travel around the peninsula. Another is the tourism structure is not there like other continents. A lengthy discussion with Talal in Muscat, informed me that as the tourism industry grows in Oman the competition will begin and hopefully bring the prices down. At the moment, the big hotesl and few tour operators have the monopoly.

I have decided to do Yemen, Jordan and Syria with Imaginative Traveller as they offer the most comprehensive tours at a good price (and the dates that I want to travel). I believe there is a lot of potential for the peninsula for the budget conscience traveller.

--------------------

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
starlagurl
post Apr 8 2008, 11:59 AM
Post #10

Rolling Stone

Member No.: 103914

Good to hear you're settled in your new digs! I have heard about this expat culture in Dubai and I wonder a lot about it. What's it like? Is it all just bland and chain-stores everywhere? I'm trying to picture it...

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
introducinlyric
post Apr 12 2008, 06:35 AM
Post #11

Rolling Stone

Member No.: 56605

Checked out your blog and great to hear your settled in and by reading your travel blog u seem to be really enjoying it. was interesting reading about ramadan and how u experienced it.

--------------------
Do You Want The Truth or Something Beautiful?
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
raniroo
post May 26 2008, 06:01 AM
Post #12

Sightseer

Well my "new life in Dubai" came close to being the end of my time in Dubai.. On the 10 April I was in a serious car accident, sustaining neck and spinal injuries. I spent 5 days in a government hospital, where my treatment was very average for lack of words....6 weeks I still have my neck brace on (hopefully coming off today!!!)...and still trying to really settle in properly. In this time I have bought a car (which I can't drive yet)...moved apartments...and settling into the new job I started just before my accident. Trying to deal with all the red tape that goes with accidents, loans and landlords has left me hitting my head against a brick wall...and that is not easy in a neck brace!. However, I do see a light at the end of the tunnel.....and it comes by the way of a cold beer at the end of the day!

--------------------

User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
starlagurl
post May 26 2008, 01:40 PM
Post #13

Rolling Stone

Good to hear your neckbrace is coming off! I hope you aren't in any pain anymore. *hug*

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
nomadic
post Jun 1 2008, 01:10 PM
Post #14

Drifter

QUOTE(raniroo @ May 26 2008, 06:01 AM) *

Well my "new life in Dubai" came close to being the end of my time in Dubai.. On the 10 April I was in a serious car accident, sustaining neck and spinal injuries. I spent 5 days in a government hospital, where my treatment was very average for lack of words....6 weeks I still have my neck brace on (hopefully coming off today!!!)...and still trying to really settle in properly. In this time I have bought a car (which I can't drive yet)...moved apartments...and settling into the new job I started just before my accident. Trying to deal with all the red tape that goes with accidents, loans and landlords has left me hitting my head against a brick wall...and that is not easy in a neck brace!. However, I do see a light at the end of the tunnel.....and it comes by the way of a cold beer at the end of the day!

Wow. That sounds like one hell of an experience....I hope you recover well.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
inasia2008
post Jun 1 2008, 07:00 PM
Post #15

Unregistered

Oh my! Sounds like a bit of a nightmare, poor you, I hope things work out for you soon! Best of luck!
+Quote Post
raniroo
post Jun 4 2008, 05:51 AM
Post #16

Sightseer

Thanks for the well wishes. I am slowly getting back on my feet. The brace came off the other day (thankfully as it is way to hot to wear it!), and although neck muscles are weak, I am moving around much better. Started driving again which is great and a little more mobile.

Starting to organise to get out and about in the Emirates and will post more stories in the relevant areas.

Cheers

--------------------

User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
starlagurl
post Jun 4 2008, 09:12 AM
Post #17

Rolling Stone

Hurray. Are there exercises you have to do for a weak neck like that?

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
raniroo
post Jun 5 2008, 04:29 AM
Post #18

Sightseer

Not allowed to do any exercises at all until my neck visit to the doctors next week...I never thought I would say this...but I miss exercise, in any shape or form!) smile.gif

--------------------

User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
starlagurl
post Jun 5 2008, 09:02 AM
Post #19

Rolling Stone

Wow... good luck and get better soon!

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
starlagurl
post Jan 6 2009, 11:35 AM
Post #20

Rolling Stone

Who are you talking to, sconchee?

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd September 2014 - 06:12 PM
Top Hotel Destinations in United Arab Emirates

Abu Dhabi Hotels
Ajman Hotels
Al Ain Hotels
Dibba Hotels
Dubai Hotels
Fujairah Hotels
Hatta Hotels
Jebel Dhanna Hotels
Khorfakkan Hotels
Liwa Hotels
Madinat Zayed Hotels
Mirfa Hotels
Ras Al Khaimah Hotels
Saadiyat Island Hotels
Sharjah Hotels
Sir Bani Yas Island Hotels
Umm Al Quwain Hotels
Yas Island Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.