Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Is Iraq the next holiday hotspot?!
sianeth
post Nov 14 2009, 12:56 PM
Post #1

Jet Setter

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 60100

There's a British company offering package trips to Iraq for 2010 apparently...

"There are enormous things that can be done in Iraq, cruise ships into Basra for example with short tours from there," says Mr Hann.

"There's an Assyrian site, a Saddam palace site, but they require refurbishment, huge sums of money and a great deal of thought about how to do it for the best of the country."

For many travellers, he goes on, there is even an appeal in Saddam-era relics, such as his gaudy palaces, or the numerous vast sculptures of the former dictator.

"There's the added spice of the Saddam era, the wars, the political changes, the whole ambience of the thing really attracts people," says Mr Hann.

Iraq - Holiday Hotspot?!

I'm sure there is some awesome stuff there... I'm just not I'm sure I'm ready for it yet! What does everyone else think - would you go to Iraq right now?
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
kitkatgo
post Nov 14 2009, 03:36 PM
Post #2

Navigator

Member No.: 13816

I won't be signing up for any trips right now. But some day I would like to go. I really want to go to Iran, but that's not a great destination now either.

I do hope both these countries will be open for tourism in the coming years though. Fingers crossed!

--------------------
~Kit
California Local Expert

Visit my travel blogs:
http://www.travelpod.com/members/kitkatgo
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
aopaq
post Nov 14 2009, 05:41 PM
Post #3

Tripper

Member No.: 893

I would love to see more of Iraq since I have already visited the Northern Kurdish region..... amazing people ad amazing sites!

Iran is also an excellent, holiday location and again the people are incredibly friendly and hospitable, almost completely opposite from what the media gives one the impression of. I don't know why one would say Iran is not a great place to go now ..... the main problem is being able to get a visa.

Given the chance, I would definitely visit both places again!
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
travelmonster
post Nov 15 2009, 03:47 AM
Post #4

Rolling Stone

Member No.: 101826

I'd love to go to Iraq and all the countries surrounding it and have wanted to for quite some time. So many historical things to see, it'd be awesome.

--------------------
In Search Of ...........

"Begin doing what you want to do now. We are not living in eternity. We have only this moment sparkling like a star in our hand -- and melting like a snowflake" - Marie Beynon Ray
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
greekcypriot
post Nov 15 2009, 06:54 AM
Post #5

Rolling Stone

Member No.: 273790

No, I don't consider visiting this country Sian at least right now.
Even the difficulty of getting a visa, shows that things are not yet so easy out there.
There are other destinations more attractive in the round area. And I don't have the least interest to see the treasures and palaces of Sadam Husein.

I would definitely pay another visit to the United Kingdom and Ireland,which I love, or visit China for instance, but no interest for this destination as yet. (See today's entry with the videos and 54 photos of Lefkara in Cyprus,.....and probably you would like to include that as your next destination). hug.gif

http://www.travelpod.com/members/greekcypriot
4800 Photos, 30 countries, 5 blogs with comments and tips yes.gif

--------------------
My LATEST BLOGS: Marmari, Vasa, and CYPRUS, the Unique Destination for Business and Holidays!!!

The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page. ~St. Augustine
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
kathryn77
post Nov 15 2009, 11:59 AM
Post #6

Vagabond

Member No.: 30044

QUOTE(sianeth @ Nov 14 2009, 05:56 PM) *

I'm sure there is some awesome stuff there... I'm just not I'm sure I'm ready for it yet! What does everyone else think - would you go to Iraq right now?

I think the question is, is Iraq ready for the British package tourist? beach.gif drinks.gif beach.gif drinks.gif

Seriusly though, I think it would be a really interesting destination, but I agree that I'm not sure I'm ready for it yet either!

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
dryley
post Nov 15 2009, 03:17 PM
Post #7

Group: Members
Member No.: 413591

i am hoping to visit the kurdish part of norther iraq next week depending on the circumstances. is anyone else going at this time?
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
sianeth
post Nov 16 2009, 01:43 PM
Post #8

Jet Setter

Member No.: 60100

QUOTE(kathryn77 @ Nov 15 2009, 04:59 PM) *

I think the question is, is Iraq ready for the British package tourist? beach.gif drinks.gif beach.gif drinks.gif

Haha, when you put it like that... Iraq will probably never be ready for that kind of tourism!
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
travelmonster
post Nov 16 2009, 02:12 PM
Post #9

Rolling Stone

Member No.: 101826

Not in a million years!! crazy.gif

--------------------
In Search Of ...........

"Begin doing what you want to do now. We are not living in eternity. We have only this moment sparkling like a star in our hand -- and melting like a snowflake" - Marie Beynon Ray
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
ScottWoz
post Nov 16 2009, 11:27 PM
Post #10

Rolling Stone

Member No.: 124

I would love to go to Iraq, almost as much as I'd love to go to Iran.

Would I go on a package trip with a British company? Not in a million years.
Is Iraq ready for the British package tourist? Not in a million years..

--------------------
Woz..

Living on a string of one-way tickets - currently kicking about in: southern Cambodia
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
danstravelworld
post Nov 17 2009, 10:55 AM
Post #11

Voyager

Group: Members
Member No.: 104714

QUOTE(kathryn77 @ Nov 15 2009, 11:59 AM) *

Seriusly though, I think it would be a really interesting destination, but I agree that I'm not sure I'm ready for it yet either!

Is there an Irish bar yet?
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
kathryn77
post Nov 17 2009, 04:08 PM
Post #12

Vagabond

QUOTE(danstravelworld @ Nov 17 2009, 03:55 PM) *

QUOTE(kathryn77 @ Nov 15 2009, 11:59 AM) *

Is there an Irish bar yet?

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif What like 'Paddy O'Hussein's'?

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
aopaq
post Nov 18 2009, 12:13 AM
Post #13

Tripper

Your passport can't be "invalid" for travel to Iraq (at least I have never heard of that before) but more so you need a visa. A few years ago, to visit Northern Iraq, this visa was relatively easily obtained at the border crossing with Turkey.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
kathryn77
post Nov 18 2009, 03:04 PM
Post #14

Vagabond

But does it not depend on country of issue? I'm thinking North America to Cuba isn't legal...?

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
aopaq
post Nov 18 2009, 04:30 PM
Post #15

Tripper

QUOTE(kathryn77 @ Nov 18 2009, 04:04 PM) *

But does it not depend on country of issue? I'm thinking North America to Cuba isn't legal...?

You are right, I think the OP is from Australia so their government could have passed a law making it illegal for Australians to travel to Iraq (I can't imagine they did this because I see no political purpose/gain). But this really does not mean the passport is actually "invalid" for travel there.
In terms of Cuba, it is illegal for US citizens to travel to, and do business with, Cuba although Canadians happily go there all the time.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
greekcypriot
post Nov 19 2009, 02:57 AM
Post #16

Rolling Stone

As Brian said, US citizens are not allowed to travel to Cuba or do business, but while there I met several Americans who just fly over to Mexico, and from there they can freely get into Cuba.
However I had the impression that recently there was a new law that US citizens are allowed entering Cuba. Am I wrong?

http://www.travelpod.com/members/greekcypriot
5000 Photos, 5 blogs, 30 countries with comments and tips! sweat.gif

--------------------
My LATEST BLOGS: Marmari, Vasa, and CYPRUS, the Unique Destination for Business and Holidays!!!

The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page. ~St. Augustine
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
kathryn77
post Nov 19 2009, 02:31 PM
Post #17

Vagabond

Thanks Brian.

Yeah I remember when I was there, it seemed to be laughable to the Cubans when Americans 'betrayed their country' and came anyway laugh.gif I should have said 'Americans' in that last comment, as I realised Canadians were free to go

Popi, I'm not sure if the law has changed yet, now that Fidel's brother is in charge - I'd assume not, as I think he probably still has some hold over what's going on...but I could be wrong

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
greekcypriot
post Jan 11 2010, 05:01 AM
Post #18

Rolling Stone

Will it ever get better ? I doubt it.
Probably it will get worse in the future.

--------------------

User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2014 - 10:55 PM
Top Hotel Destinations in Iraq

Baghdad Hotels
Dohuk Hotels
Irbil Hotels
Najaf Hotels
Sulaymaniyah Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.