Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Picture Weaving FAQ and discussion
ericlussier
post Nov 10 2009, 04:56 PM
Post #1

Pathfinder

Group: TP Staff
Member No.: 164003

Hi all!

We're really happy with the response to the new design we pushed up last week. TravelPod is a labour of love for us all and your encouragement always keeps us going.

That being said, there was one thing that ruffled a few feathers and that's photo weaving.

To cut right to the point, we made some changes that some people liked and others didn't. There were a few technical glitches in the first few hours that we managed to iron out, but we're still getting a lot of questions about this change.

Here's a quick FAQ to get this discussion going:

Oh my goodness!? What happened to my blog? All the pictures are messed up?
We made some changes to the presentation of your blog. Most importantly, your actual entry and picture data was never changed. Everything can be fixed without any changes needed on your part.

I have auto-weave enabled, why aren't there any thumbnails woven into my entries?
We now weave larger thumbnails into your entry. As a result, it requires more text for the first picture to be automatically woven in.

But there used to be thumbnails in my entries, why aren't they there anymore?
The large thumbnail change was applied to all entries ever written that have auto-weave enabled.

Why do some of my older entries still have small thumbnails?
Entries created before November 3rd, 2009 that have pictures manually woven in will continue to display the small version of the thumbnail. This type of entry is referred to as a "legacy entry".

Why does the map stretch out across the top on some entries?
In the redesign, we widened the space for your entry text to be displayed. "Legacy entries" need to maintain the old width so that picture formating is not disrupted.

Ok. Now what? I'm not happy with the way my old entries are displayed?
We're open to ideas and suggestions. We have large thumbnails and little thumbnails. We have auto-weaving and manual weaving. We have legacy entries. Let us know what kind of controls you'd like to have and we'll see what we can do.

If I missed anything, please feel free to ask more questions below.
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
mmbcross
post Nov 11 2009, 07:08 PM
Post #2

Tripper

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 2195

The new layout looks really attractive, quite superior to the previous one. The fact that the photos are no longer weaved into the text with smaller entries isn't a problem with me. They look fine as they are.

Congratulations on a job well done!

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
sianeth
post Nov 12 2009, 02:37 PM
Post #3

Jet Setter

Member No.: 60100

Okay... question, a bit unrelated but what the hey...

When you're using html to put photos in it used to be easy to right click on your pictures and view the code to add into the blog... with the new interface it's much less easy to do that - it won't let me right click on pictures when I'm viewing them...

Soooo, can I get it back somehow? smile.gif
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
ScottWoz
post Nov 12 2009, 08:16 PM
Post #4

Rolling Stone

Member No.: 124

What's determines if an entry is a 'legacy entry'? I can't see a pattern..

--------------------
Woz..

Living on a string of one-way tickets - currently kicking about in: southern Cambodia
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
ScottWoz
post Nov 12 2009, 08:30 PM
Post #5

Rolling Stone

Ah yep. It's the photo weaving. So weaving photos means a stretched map across the top, photo-less entries means nice adjusted text and a smaller map to the side. Any chance we could have a smaller map to the side and be able to weave photos? That would be great.. yes.gif

--------------------
Woz..

Living on a string of one-way tickets - currently kicking about in: southern Cambodia
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
ericlussier
post Nov 12 2009, 09:30 PM
Post #6

Pathfinder

QUOTE(ScottWoz @ Nov 12 2009, 08:16 PM) *

What's determines if an entry is a 'legacy entry'? I can't see a pattern..

Entries created before November 3rd, 2009 that have pictures manually woven in.

Everything else will have the small map off to the right. We did this because manually woven entries may have been disrupted by the map offsetting the text.

Your mega entry #1 is a good example of an entry that would be "broken" by our new layout.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
ericlussier
post Nov 12 2009, 09:32 PM
Post #7

Pathfinder

QUOTE(sianeth @ Nov 12 2009, 02:37 PM) *

When you're using html to put photos in it used to be easy to right click on your pictures and view the code to add into the blog...

The easiest way to do that right now is too right click on the thumbnail that appear under the entry and select "Open in new window..." or tab as the case may be.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
ericlussier
post Nov 12 2009, 09:34 PM
Post #8

Pathfinder

QUOTE(ScottWoz @ Nov 12 2009, 08:30 PM) *

Ah yep. It's the photo weaving. So weaving photos means a stretched map across the top, photo-less entries means nice adjusted text and a smaller map to the side. Any chance we could have a smaller map to the side and be able to weave photos? That would be great.. yes.gif

You're not a big auto-weaver, Scott, so you probably didn't notice it, but we've enlarged the thumbnails that get woven into your entry. Actually, for any new entries you write, manually woven picture will use the larger format (you can stack two side by side very nicely) and the map will be small and off to the side.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
ScottWoz
post Nov 12 2009, 10:18 PM
Post #9

Rolling Stone

Ok, but will that still work with the usual 'three side by side'? In other words can I still set my own picture widths depending on the format?

--------------------
Woz..

User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
fishtails04
post Nov 14 2009, 05:22 PM
Post #10

Group: Members
Member No.: 43277
Nominate me as a Local Expert

I am a bit of a technophobe so struggle with any changes! BUT I do really love the bigger pic sizes, and it woukd be great if they were possible with manually-woven pics as well as auto-weave, which I don't use - am I right in thinking the bigger size is only with auto-weave?

I have gone through some older entries, what I think you mean by 'legacy entries' and have noticed that the photo layout on those has changed, too, in cases where I have 3 in a row - they used to fit and now the third has been pushed out which is pretty chaotic on entires where I put loads of ppics in (hard not to when you're somewhere amazing!). My entries from Trres del Paine and Antarctic, for example are now all over the place! Is there anything I can do to re-establish order in these entries?

Thanks,

fishtails

for reference, some of the entires I am referring to are:

http://www.travelpod.com/travel-blog-entri...44400/tpod.html

http://www.travelpod.com/travel-blog-entri...58900/tpod.html

http://www.travelpod.com/travel-blog-entri...51520/tpod.html
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
the-rambler
post Nov 15 2009, 07:39 AM
Post #11

Member No.: 90173

Hi Travelpod Team
Great site. Keep it up. I've been posting for near two years now, but the thing that disturbs me about posting pix, is that they AUTOMATICALLY weave. And then i have to go back to the posting, and 'UNWEAVE' them. I personally think people read the articles better without distraction, and can then see all the pix below. Is it not possible to give users the option of 'weave, or no weave' at the Upload Picture point? Or am i missing something?
thanks
The-Rambler
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
ericlussier
post Nov 15 2009, 09:51 AM
Post #12

Pathfinder

QUOTE(the-rambler @ Nov 15 2009, 07:39 AM) *

I personally think people read the articles better without distraction, and can then see all the pix below. Is it not possible to give users the option of 'weave, or no weave' at the Upload Picture point?

Hi The-Rambler,

Such an option does indeed exists. Once you've uploaded pictures to your entry, go back to the Edit Entry page and in the right column, next to the Story field, you'll see the checkbox for auto-weaving.

Hope that helps.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
ericlussier
post Nov 15 2009, 09:53 AM
Post #13

Pathfinder

QUOTE(ScottWoz @ Nov 12 2009, 10:18 PM) *

Ok, but will that still work with the usual 'three side by side'? In other words can I still set my own picture widths depending on the format?

You can still put together your beautiful posts in exactly the same way.

The new width may actually allow you to put four pictures side-by-side.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
ericlussier
post Nov 15 2009, 09:55 AM
Post #14

Pathfinder

QUOTE(fishtails04 @ Nov 14 2009, 05:22 PM) *

I am a bit of a technophobe so struggle with any changes! BUT I do really love the bigger pic sizes, and it woukd be great if they were possible with manually-woven pics as well as auto-weave, which I don't use - am I right in thinking the bigger size is only with auto-weave?

For any new entries, both auto-weave AND manually woven pictures will use the bigger thumbnails! Glad you like them!

QUOTE(fishtails04 @ Nov 14 2009, 05:22 PM) *

I have gone through some older entries, what I think you mean by 'legacy entries' and have noticed that the photo layout on those has changed, too, in cases where I have 3 in a row - they used to fit and now the third has been pushed out which is pretty chaotic on entires where I put loads of ppics in (hard not to when you're somewhere amazing!).

I'll take a closer look and fix those up for you. You shouldn't have to make any changes to old entries.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
the-rambler
post Nov 29 2009, 08:54 AM
Post #15

Member No.: 90173

Thanks for info on 'non-pic-weaving'. will try at next post.
BTW, off the subject, but while I'm here: the new design says readers do not have to sign up before posting comments. I just witnessed the contrary. Could u advise on the position?
Ta
the rambler
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
ericlussier
post Nov 30 2009, 09:21 AM
Post #16

Pathfinder

QUOTE(the-rambler @ Nov 29 2009, 08:54 AM) *

The new design says readers do not have to sign up before posting comments. I just witnessed the contrary. Could u advise on the position?
Ta
the rambler

If you're already signed in to TravelPod we will use those credentials to post your comment, but if you're not registered, you're simply asked to give you name and the message and press "Post Comment". That's it! No need to register! smile.gif
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
lcridd
post Sep 15 2011, 03:03 PM
Post #17

Member No.: 5682

I would like to create a line break after the photos. I know nothing about HTML editing and usually it is fine with the autoweave photos. But I would like to show a series of photos with a paragraph under each and it makes the layout unreadable.

I have tried putting <br> before and after the photos, but it doesn't work. Any ideas or is it not possible?
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
ericlussier
post Sep 15 2011, 03:07 PM
Post #18

Pathfinder

QUOTE(lcridd @ Sep 15 2011, 04:03 PM) *

I would like to create a line break after the photos. I know nothing about HTML editing and usually it is fine with the autoweave photos. But I would like to show a series of photos with a paragraph under each and it makes the layout unreadable.

I have tried putting <br> before and after the photos, but it doesn't work. Any ideas or is it not possible?

No problem! You don't need to use the html view. Here's an example of the formatting that will give you the results you want.

This is your first paragraph.

[L photo tag]

This is your second paragraph

[L photo tag]

This is your third paragraph

[L photo tag] [R photo tag]

This is your fourth, etc...

Just make sure you hit enter and add an extra line between your paragraph and leave the photo tags on their own line. You can also put two photo tags on one line for a nice effect.

I hope that helps!

Eric

User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
lcridd
post Sep 15 2011, 03:20 PM
Post #19

Member No.: 5682

QUOTE(ericlussier @ Sep 15 2011, 04:07 PM) *

QUOTE(lcridd @ Sep 15 2011, 04:03 PM) *

No problem! You don't need to use the html view. Here's an example of the formatting that will give you the results you want.

This is your first paragraph.

[L photo tag]

This is your second paragraph

[L photo tag]

This is your third paragraph

[L photo tag] [R photo tag]

This is your fourth, etc...

Just make sure you hit enter and add an extra line between your paragraph and leave the photo tags on their own line. You can also put two photo tags on one line for a nice effect.

I hope that helps!

Eric

I must be really technically challenged. Sorry.

But check out the blog here.

It looks bad to me. Maybe it is just my computer?
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
bannfamtrip
post Dec 11 2011, 03:12 AM
Post #20

Member No.: 2345823

Hi,
I am trying to blog with lots of photos and just some text and it seems that more than two photos, left and right, and you have to judge how many new lines to enter to then align text with the next set of photos. Am I missing something????
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th July 2014 - 04:26 AM
Top Hotel Destinations

Acapulco Hotels
Atlanta Hotels
Austin Hotels
Beijing Hotels
Cancun Hotels
Charlotte Hotels
Chicago Hotels
Dallas Hotels
Denver Hotels
Honolulu Hotels
Houston Hotels
Indianapolis Hotels
Kissimmee Hotels
Las Vegas Hotels
London Hotels
Los Angeles Hotels
Mexico City Hotels
Miami Hotels
Miami Beach Hotels
Montreal Hotels
Myrtle Beach Hotels
Nashville Hotels
Negril Hotels
New Orleans Hotels
New York City Hotels
Orlando Hotels
Paris Hotels
Phoenix Hotels
Playa del Carmen Hotels
Puerto Plata Hotels
Puerto Vallarta Hotels
Punta Cana Hotels
Rome Hotels
San Antonio Hotels
San Diego Hotels
San Francisco Hotels
Seattle Hotels
Tampa Hotels
Toronto Hotels
Washington DC Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.