Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Morning Plov, Traditions in Uzbekistan, continued...
ahamill
post Nov 8 2009, 04:30 AM
Post #1

Wayfarer

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 67301

There are several types of morning plov in Uzbekistan, it seems, and even these several types vary depending on the style, religiousness, and socio-economic-geographic details. On Saturday I attended a morning plov in Tashkent, served what might have been nearly 200 people from 7am to 8am, and was a neat mix of modern plus old and religious traditions. There was lots of prayer, lots of food, lots of singing and talking, and of course, as with all of these no matter what, no women.
Some morning plovs have multiple waves of guests: the first wave might arrive at 6 or 7, be seated, eat quickly, and leave in time for the next wave to be seated. This morning plov had just one big wave, starting at 7am. They're pretty formal, most people dressed well, and the hosts stand in a receiving line in traditional Uzbek robes.
Some precede marriage; others, like this one, commemorate the anniversary of the death of a father.
The name of these social events (the "plov") seems to come directly from the food that is served at the event (called plov - the rice-based dish that is the traditional food of Uzbekistan. It's sort of like what folks in the USA call rice pilaf, but only sort of).
It is interesting to experience these and it was a great learning experience. I think it's one of the most unique cultural traditions I've ever experienced for many reasons not least the timing of it. I can't come up with a reason why it would take place so early in the morning when, well, with all due respect, I can't honestly say that I know Tashkent to be filled with folks who are super-eager to wake up at 6am! So maybe it's a sign of respect to the hosts - not just arriving for the plov and participating, but the fact that one is willing to show up on time so early in the morning.
This one was in a large restaurant setting and was complete with spoons for the shared plov plates. However, I'm told that outside of Tashkent or Samarqand, these are even more traditional affairs and won't involve silverware. The food was good, the company was good, and it was nice to be able to share the experience. I appreciate the invitation, and the experience!

--------------------
Sleepless in Tashkent
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
starlagurl
post Nov 9 2009, 03:23 PM
Post #2

Rolling Stone

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 103914

So... plovs are... a fancy breakfast with rice?

--------------------
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th July 2014 - 10:11 AM
Top Hotel Destinations

Acapulco Hotels
Atlanta Hotels
Austin Hotels
Beijing Hotels
Cancun Hotels
Charlotte Hotels
Chicago Hotels
Dallas Hotels
Denver Hotels
Honolulu Hotels
Houston Hotels
Indianapolis Hotels
Kissimmee Hotels
Las Vegas Hotels
London Hotels
Los Angeles Hotels
Mexico City Hotels
Miami Hotels
Miami Beach Hotels
Montreal Hotels
Myrtle Beach Hotels
Nashville Hotels
Negril Hotels
New Orleans Hotels
New York City Hotels
Orlando Hotels
Paris Hotels
Phoenix Hotels
Playa del Carmen Hotels
Puerto Plata Hotels
Puerto Vallarta Hotels
Punta Cana Hotels
Rome Hotels
San Antonio Hotels
San Diego Hotels
San Francisco Hotels
Seattle Hotels
Tampa Hotels
Toronto Hotels
Washington DC Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.