Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Is this true about Bolivia?
chillin818
post Nov 7 2009, 10:59 PM
Post #1

Wanderer

Group: Members
Member No.: 481101
Nominate me as a Local Expert

Hey freinds and I heard that cocaine is pretty much offer to you everywhere in La Paz and that in San pedro Prison you could buya kilo or have it delviered to you. Is this true?
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
aopaq
post Nov 8 2009, 12:03 AM
Post #2

Tripper

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 893

When I was in La Paz, albeit many years ago, I was never offered cocaine on the street although I was never actively looking. My advice would be to avoid any illegal activities, including purchasing drugs, in any South American country (or any foreign country for that matter) unless you are prepared to spend time in a prison that I am sure is far below the standards of any in Western countries.

With that said, in Bolivia it is easy to buy coca leaves which are the source of cocaine. However, vast quantities of the leaves and chemical processing is required to get any substantial quantity of cocaine. But chewing coca leaves is definitely worth trying and a "cure" for altitude sickness. Or you can also use the coca leaves to make tea.

I don't know about the San Pedro prison story but it wouldn't surprise me if it is coca leaves that are being referred to.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
laorfamily
post Nov 10 2009, 04:50 PM
Post #3

Vagabond

Member No.: 30320

Many moons ago I was in La Paz as well and was never offered in cocain.

I don't know about you, but I have a life long dream of staying out of jail (nasty S. American jail in particular).

--------------------
Living Well Is The Best Revenge

Going Down South to North Carolina
Book Reviews: http://www.ManOfLaBook.com
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
mmbcross
post Nov 11 2009, 08:30 PM
Post #4

Tripper

Member No.: 2195

You can buy coca in the market, but it's in leaf form. Chewing coca leaves with a dash of powdered lime is a nutritious and energising way to induce a healthy mood without causing an unsustainable high. Unfortunately, it is not very good for one's teeth.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
pele0069
post Apr 4 2010, 12:33 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 857551

Well, i may be wrong but i would venture to say that the people above heard people saying charlie a lot, that is a code word for coke, and every few blocks you would hear someone saying it.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
kiwi_surfer
post May 3 2010, 06:20 PM
Post #6

Nomad

Member No.: 274279

lol pele,

yes they do produce it in san pedro prison.

read this book before you go to bolivia.... one of the best books ive ever read

"marching powder"

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
andyncharly2011
post May 13 2011, 03:54 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 1774331

Hi there, I hear the San Pedro prison ´tours´are a little dodgy to say the least. There is nothing official and you have no guaranteed safety inside and no gurantee you will make it out again. People have been detained in the prision after buying it. Everyone says its best to steer clear.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
gilster
post Oct 7 2011, 01:57 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 2308103

How old are you?..........if you try to find access to drugs in Bolivia, or any country for that matter you will end up in jail and become someones b!$@% for a long long time and you will be sorry for the rest of your life.......good luck to you on that one dum-dum.
Oh, and the answer is no, negativo young jedy, now if you are thinking coca leafs, you will find them everywhere........and it is quite allright to buy them and consume them, but do not try to bring them in the US, same with the fake money......jess how old are you?.....don't believe the other silly reply's and as for books.....THEY ARE FICTION, do the research......CIA world facts will be a good start,,,,,,ah, and learn how to spell...
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
kiwi_surfer
post Oct 8 2011, 10:20 PM
Post #9

Nomad

Member No.: 274279

QUOTE(gilster @ Oct 7 2011, 02:57 PM) *

How old are you?..........if you try to find access to drugs in Bolivia, or any country for that matter you will end up in jail and become someones b!$@% for a long long time and you will be sorry for the rest of your life.......good luck to you on that one dum-dum.
Oh, and the answer is no, negativo young jedy, now if you are thinking coca leafs, you will find them everywhere........and it is quite allright to buy them and consume them, but do not try to bring them in the US, same with the fake money......jess how old are you?.....don't believe the other silly reply's and as for books.....THEY ARE FICTION, do the research......CIA world facts will be a good start,,,,,,ah, and learn how to spell...

MarchIng powder isn't fiction and how about you settle down mate; unless you blocked your ears whilst walking down the street you would of had people offering you Charlie on a daily basis.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
aaronsmith
post Jul 16 2012, 04:13 AM
Post #10

Member No.: 3043403

no . i think it's not true about Bolivia .

User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
silvanaert
post Jun 7 2013, 07:45 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 2719143

it probably depends where are you planning to go in Bolivia...I will go to La Paz this year I hope everything is ok
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th July 2014 - 07:51 AM
Top Hotel Destinations in Bolivia

Bermejo Hotels
Calama Hotels
Caranavi Hotels
Cobija Hotels
Cochabamba Hotels
Comarapa Hotels
Concepcion Hotels
Copacabana Hotels
Coroico Hotels
Huatajata Hotels
Isla del Sol Hotels
La Paz Hotels
Laguna Colorada Hotels
Oruro Hotels
Potosi Hotels
Puerto Quijarro Hotels
Puerto Suarez Hotels
Quime Hotels
Reyes Hotels
Robore Hotels
Rurrenabaque Hotels
Sabaya Hotels
Samaipata Hotels
San Ignacio de Velasco Hotels
San Jose de Chiquitos Hotels
San Miguel Hotels
Santa Cruz Hotels
Sorata Hotels
Sucre Hotels
Tahua Hotels
Tarija Hotels
Tomarapi Hotels
Trinidad Hotels
Tupiza Hotels
Urmiri Hotels
Uyuni Hotels
Vallegrande Hotels
Villamontes Hotels
Yacuiba Hotels
Yolosa Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.