Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Bamberg
wisconsin_fan81
post Nov 7 2009, 05:47 PM
Post #1

Globetrotter

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 273696

My wife grew up in a small town called Breitenguessbach, outside of Bamberg, Germany... Her dad was stationed at the Bamberg U.S. Army base. Can anyone familiar tell me anything about this region, specifically Breitenbuessbach? I've looked it up but cannot find a lot. Why don't I ask my wife? Well, maybe she has a suprise in her future that I would like to be more knowledgeable about. Anything would help- where to stay, what to do, restaurants, all that jazz.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
kathryn77
post Nov 8 2009, 07:28 AM
Post #2

Vagabond

Member No.: 30044

That's so sweet! I hope someone can help you!!

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
reisender
post Nov 8 2009, 09:30 PM
Post #3

Drifter

Member No.: 158028

Hi wisconsin_fan81,

you're in luck. Due to a work project involving the building of housing accomodation for one of the largest and most modern US military bases in Europe, I will off and on be going to the region around Bamberg. I was last there only last Tuesday.

Please visit the German Forum from time to time. I plan to write a number of blogs on places that I will be visiting over the next few months in Germany. Bamberg will definitely be very high up on my list. Bamberg is one of the most interesting and beautiful towns in Germany, and in its entirety is considered a UNESCO world heritage site.

For starters, Bamberg is located in the German state of Bavaria, and can be reached in 2:20 hrs by train from Frankfurt airport. Not all Bamberger's like to be called Bavarians though. In Bavaria, there are two main regions: Bavaria and a subregion of Franken. The relationship between these two is like the Scots and the English. They are both governed out of Munich, but other than that there is little similarity in language dialect, food, culture or otherwise. Bamberg is located an hour north by train from Nürnberg, and an hour east by train from Wuerzburg.

Unfortunately, very little can be said about Breitengüßbach. It is located 10.6 km north of Bamberg. A pretty little village with two large man-made lakes to the west of it. Currently these lakes are being renaturalised and connected to a river and canal network to permit eco tourism in that area of Franken. Should you ever want to visit that area, touristic focus should be on places like Bamberg, Würzburg and Nürnberg. If I find out anything about the base, I will post a reply on this post.

If you have any further specific questions, please raise them, and I will see whether I can answer them, and as said, in the near future, I will be blogging about the opportunities for Bamberg and Nürnberg.

Reisender
Your Travel Expert for Germany
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
starlagurl
post Nov 9 2009, 03:07 PM
Post #4

Rolling Stone

Member No.: 103914

Ahhh Reisender, you're the best!

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
kathryn77
post Nov 9 2009, 05:29 PM
Post #5

Vagabond

Hey, looks like you got a star in Reisender there!

In addition, here's what my German friend Joerg passed on:

"Breitenguessbach is one of thousands of small villages in Germany and internationalisation hasn't reached them yet. There are approx. 5000 inhabitants and with Bamberg being only 9km away, I would expect that the majority of larger shops and a large amount of the local cultural offerings are provided in Bamberg.

They do have a website http://breitenguessbach.de but it is only in German. On the website it provides information about 3 (small!) hotels and 6 B&Bs (see the Tourismus section) and it even has a couple of, but if someone wanted to go there on holidays, I would probably stay in Bamberg and go to Breitenguessbach on a day trip (or two).

On Wikipedia (only in German) you can find a bit info: http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Breiteng%C3%BC%C3%9Fbach

Bamberg has a website that contains information in English as well: http://bamberg.travel/www_tks/bamberg_eng_..._268_89_7_f.htm
or here: http://www.bamberg.info/

Finally, this might be interesting as well: http://www.bamberg.army.mil/sites/local/ "

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
starlagurl
post Nov 10 2009, 10:24 AM
Post #6

Rolling Stone

Member No.: 103914

Looks like we have TWO Germany superstars!

Who is this friend of yours Kathryn? Get him in here!

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
kathryn77
post Nov 10 2009, 04:46 PM
Post #7

Vagabond

Ha ha, I will tell him that, but I know he doesn't travel much, so he's probably not that interested in us here - but thought I'd ask him since he's from Germany, and he did well I think biggrin.gif

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd August 2014 - 03:16 AM
Top Hotel Destinations

Acapulco Hotels
Atlanta Hotels
Austin Hotels
Beijing Hotels
Cancun Hotels
Charlotte Hotels
Chicago Hotels
Dallas Hotels
Denver Hotels
Honolulu Hotels
Houston Hotels
Indianapolis Hotels
Kissimmee Hotels
Las Vegas Hotels
London Hotels
Los Angeles Hotels
Mexico City Hotels
Miami Hotels
Miami Beach Hotels
Montreal Hotels
Myrtle Beach Hotels
Nashville Hotels
Negril Hotels
New Orleans Hotels
New York City Hotels
Orlando Hotels
Paris Hotels
Phoenix Hotels
Playa del Carmen Hotels
Puerto Plata Hotels
Puerto Vallarta Hotels
Punta Cana Hotels
Rome Hotels
San Antonio Hotels
San Diego Hotels
San Francisco Hotels
Seattle Hotels
Tampa Hotels
Toronto Hotels
Washington DC Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.