Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Itinerary Help and Suggestions, 2 Weeks in January
bfoak
post Nov 6 2009, 10:38 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 487061

My niece (18) and I (let's just say well over 18) will be in Australia during the first 2 weeks of January. We plan to spend a few days in Sydney (3 nights already booked), then are hoping for 4 nights in Tasmania (thinking Hobart is the best base, probably rent a car?), then 2 or 3 nights on Heron Island (a reef experience is a must) and then to or near Sydney to fly home to California. Open to suggestions/recommendations, including things to see/do and how to get around. First trip to Australia, and cant's wait. Thanks.
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
starlagurl
post Nov 6 2009, 11:33 AM
Post #2

Rolling Stone

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 103914

Welcome to the forums!

Have you read any travel blogs yet?

Here are some about Sydney: http://www.travelpod.com/travel-blog-city/...ydney/tpod.html

Tasmania: http://www.travelpod.com/travel-blog-city/...obart/tpod.html

and Heron Island: http://www.travelpod.com/travel-blog-city/...sland/tpod.html

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
will
post Nov 11 2009, 06:39 PM
Post #3

Expeditionist

Member No.: 952

January is one of the best times of year to visit Tasmania. Yepp, Hobart is definitely your best spot to base your trip. Try and schedule it so you're there on a saturday. Salamanca market, Australia's largest and most interesting outdoor market, is held there every saturday from about 9am to 3pm and shouldn't be missed. Renting a car is a good idea as it would give you a lot of freedom and flexibility. I'd recommend a trip up Mt Wellington, and depending on your interests, a day at Port Arthur and the Tasman Peninsula, or a day on the east coast up at Freycinet. Richmond is also a great little spot, an old colonial town just 25mins out of Hobart. Let me know if you have any specific questions!

--------------------
"I should like to spend my whole life traveling, if only I could borrow another to spend at home" - William Hazlitt

You can see my travelblog here!
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
bfoak
post Nov 12 2009, 10:11 AM
Post #4

Group: Members
Member No.: 487061

QUOTE(will @ Nov 11 2009, 06:39 PM) *

January is one of the best times of year to visit Tasmania. Yepp, Hobart is definitely your best spot to base your trip. Try and schedule it so you're there on a saturday. Salamanca market, Australia's largest and most interesting outdoor market, is held there every saturday from about 9am to 3pm and shouldn't be missed. Renting a car is a good idea as it would give you a lot of freedom and flexibility. I'd recommend a trip up Mt Wellington, and depending on your interests, a day at Port Arthur and the Tasman Peninsula, or a day on the east coast up at Freycinet. Richmond is also a great little spot, an old colonial town just 25mins out of Hobart. Let me know if you have any specific questions!

Thanks so much, Will, for the information and offer to answer even more questions. Hobart on a Saturday is definitely on my list. We should be arriving on a Wednesday, and would like to stay through Saturday if we can get a timely flight on Sunday to Gladstone.

Do you recommend using Hobart as a base, and taking day trips? The other alternative is to rent a car and see where we land-will there be a problem finding places to stay along the way? Also, in Hobart, is there an area you recommend for a hotel-either for the first night or as a base to come back to each night?

Interests include nature, food and uniquely Australian experiences. Any other suggestions you have-either must sees, or off the beaten track-are appreciated.

Again, thanks for your time and suggestions.

User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
will
post Nov 12 2009, 07:58 PM
Post #5

Expeditionist

Member No.: 952

One option you could consider is flying into Launceston on the Wednesday, renting a car there, and then dropping it off in Hobart. That way, you could check out Freycinet National Park on the east coast without backtracking. It's definitely worth seeing for the amazing scenery, beautiful beaches and wildlife. Depending on what time you arrived in Launceston, you could drive there on the Wednesday, spend the afternoon or most of Thursday exploring, and then head to Hobart on the Thursday afternoon/evening.

Given you're staying for such a short time, and January is generally quite busy, I'd recommend prebooking accommodation, just to be on the safe side. Also, Hobart's waterfront is definitely the most happening part of the city, and most picturesque, so I'd try and find some accommodation in that region.

Other suggestions for places to see, well, you could spend your friday afternoon going for a drive (1hr) either up through the Derwent Valley to Mt Field National park where you can see some beautiful waterfalls and virgin rainforest, or south (1hr30min) down through the Huon Valley to the Tahune Airwalk. Given the long days, you could also squeeze Port Arthur and some of the sights on the Tasman Peninsula into a long afternoon and early evening. Port Arthur is a must see for the colonial history - there's nothing like it anywhere else in Australia. And it's only an hour and a half from Hobart.

--------------------
"I should like to spend my whole life traveling, if only I could borrow another to spend at home" - William Hazlitt

You can see my travelblog here!
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th July 2014 - 02:56 AM
Top Hotel Destinations in Australia

Adelaide Hotels
Airlie Beach Hotels
Albany Hotels
Albury Hotels
Alice Springs Hotels
Apollo Bay Hotels
Ballarat Hotels
Bendigo Hotels
Brisbane Hotels
Broadbeach Hotels
Broome Hotels
Byron Bay Hotels
Cairns Hotels
Caloundra Hotels
Canberra Hotels
Coffs Harbour Hotels
Coolangatta Hotels
Darwin Hotels
Hervey Bay Hotels
Hobart Hotels
Launceston Hotels
Mackay Hotels
Main Beach Hotels
Margaret River Hotels
Maroochydore Hotels
Melbourne Hotels
Mooloolaba Hotels
Newcastle Hotels
Noosa Hotels
Palm Cove Hotels
Perth Hotels
Pokolbin Hotels
Port Douglas Hotels
Port Macquarie Hotels
Rockhampton Hotels
St Kilda Hotels
Surfers Paradise Hotels
Sydney Hotels
Toowoomba Hotels
Townsville Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.