Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Mae Sot, Moving to Mae Sot at the end of November
polly_24
post Nov 3 2009, 08:30 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 480601

Hey all,

I'm moving to Mae Sot to work as a volunteer, mainly teaching English.
Does anyone have any advice on a good guest house to stay in for a couple of days when I first get there, or where's good to hang out and meet people?
Also, does anyone know how to get to Mae Sot from Chiang Mai, where I'm flying to?
And will anyone be around that area who fancies meeting up? It'd be good to know someone in the same place!

Cheers,

Polly
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
starlagurl
post Nov 6 2009, 12:06 PM
Post #2

Rolling Stone

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 103914

Hey Polly, welcome to the forums!

Have you checked the TripAdvisor listings yet?

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g317132-...Sot-Hotels.html

There are only 3 on there, so you don't seem to have much choice.

Did you want to fly there? There is an airport.

I don't know what the flight schedules might be like.

It looks like you might have to go back to Bangkok if you take the bus:

There are buses throughout the day from Moh Chit Bus Station in Bangkok. VIP buses are 700 baht as of June 2008. Try to get a spot at the top level of the bus (VIP) as you are not near the toilets at the bottom. They stink! There are as well, 1st class buses, and other levels. When you get the bus it goes all night so you get there very early. Remember that your ticket (VIP) gives you a free meal or drink at the stop that the bus makes in the middle of the night. When you stop take your ticket and you get one meal (pretty average) or a drink/yoghurt drink. When you arrive at Mae Sot there are Tuk Tuks and motor bikes to take you to the hotels. They are nice people and will charge depending on how many people and where you want to go.

(from Wikitravel)

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
lunthom
post Nov 10 2009, 08:11 PM
Post #3

Nomad

Member No.: 103052

yes, that's right, you will have a meal during half way around midnight
for the VIP ticket you can have the meal in the air-condition room or you can change the ticket to some drink in case you don't want to have meal.

Mae Sot , no has flight from BKK or Chiangmai you can take local bus from Chiangmai to there at Arkhet station.

The way is curvity but very nice .
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
starlagurl
post Nov 11 2009, 10:44 AM
Post #4

Rolling Stone

Member No.: 103914

Thanks again lunthom, for the local's perspective!

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Paul
post Nov 13 2009, 06:23 AM
Post #5

Navigator

Member No.: 98

I can't remember the name of the guest house I stayed in recently, but there are plenty around, so I wouldn't worry - you can just find one when you arrive.

The bus trip from Chiang Mai goes through some beautiful country.

Good hang out to meet people? Pretty much everywhere. Thai people are very friendly and if you dress politely and smile, you'll find friends very easily. Going to the local markets is great to get to know people as you buy your daily food. There is also some great cafes and restaurants around. There is quite a NGO community in Mae Sot. And mainly Thais and Burmese there have some fascinating stories and are amazing people.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
wandering_man
post Jan 24 2010, 01:33 AM
Post #6

Wanderer

Member No.: 266022

Bus from Chiang Mai takes five hours. There is an airport but for a number of years there have been no flights. Bus station is 4 Km west of town, and you will need to take a moto taxi to town.

Bai Fern Guest House is a nice place to stay, single fan room was 150 baht when I stayed there last spring. Free wi-fi. Two excellent restaurants where you can meet up with other falang volunteers are the Aiya (across the street from the Bai Fern) and Casa Mia--it may sound Italian, but they have the best Burmese curry and tea leaf salad you ever ate. Mains cost 30 baht at both places.

Also Thaime's bar has weekly quiz night (I forget what day) where all the NGO'ers team up in a game of cultural trivial pursuit. It is great fun.

A word of caution in advance of your host NGO hopefully sharing the same warning: Mae Sot is crawling with Burmese SPDC spies. They speak perfect unaccented English and will try to strike up a conversation with you about your travels and gently guide it to your activities in Mae Sot. They will also sit in the open air restaurants next to tables full of young white folks and eavesdrop on your conversation about the volunteer activities of the day. THey have been known to lurk outside the guesthouse where volunteers frequent and try to follow the volunteer to his or her Burmese volunteer assignment. And they mine travelblogs for information, names, and photos. I am certain they are reading this blog within 24 hours of when I post.

You will never be in any danger, but your failure to observe being tailed, imprudent internet postings or overheard unwisely spoken words can have lethal consequences for members of the democracy movement, all of the leadership being in Mae Sot. So remember you came there to help, but first, do no harm.

Some Thai is spoken there, a lot of Karen, and a lot of Burmese. People will speak English to you. Learn numbers in Karen so you can bargain at the market. And bargain gently. Eat rambutan--the best kept secret in delicious fruit unknown to Westerners. Try durian once. Make sure there are a lot of Asian people around watching so as not to deprive them of the huge belly laugh they will have at your expense. angel1.gif

I love Mae Sot, the biggest market for a small town I have ever seen. If you are tired of Asian Nescafe, Dave's restaurant in the heart of downtown has outstanding fresh brewed Hill Tribe coffee and cheese omelettes (something I have not seen since I left on my current travels in November). There is good internet and plenty of ATM's that work for Westerners. The cost of living there is less than half of what it is in Chiang Mai, and 1/4 of Bangkok.

Stay away from the border area after sundown-- it is maybe 8 kilometers west of town so you won't be there by accident. Bicycle is the best way to get around town.

Get your 60 day Thai visa in your home country before you leave, otherwise you only get 30 days if arriving by air and 15 if by land or boat.

(Hey Louise--you should nominate me for local expert for Mae Sot? I know what not to say.)
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
wandering_man
post Jan 24 2010, 01:38 AM
Post #7

Wanderer

Member No.: 266022

Bus from Chiang Mai takes five hours. There is an airport but for a number of years there have been no flights. Bus station is 4 Km west of town, and you will need to take a moto taxi to town.

Bai Fern Guest House is a nice place to stay, single fan room was 150 baht when I stayed there last spring. Free wi-fi. Two excellent restaurants where you can meet up with other falang volunteers are the Aiya (across the street from the Bai Fern) and Casa Mia--it may sound Italian, but they have the best Burmese curry and tea leaf salad you ever ate. Mains cost 30 baht at both places.

Also Thaime's bar has weekly quiz night (I forget what day) where all the NGO'ers team up in a game of cultural trivial pursuit. It is great fun.

A word of caution in advance of your host NGO hopefully sharing the same warning: Mae Sot is crawling with Burmese SPDC spies. They speak perfect unaccented English and will try to strike up a conversation with you about your travels and gently guide it to your activities in Mae Sot. They will also sit in the open air restaurants next to tables full of young white folks and eavesdrop on your conversation about the volunteer activities of the day. THey have been known to lurk outside the guesthouse where volunteers frequent and try to follow the volunteer to his or her Burmese volunteer assignment. And they mine travelblogs for information, names, and photos. I am certain they are reading this blog within 24 hours of when I post.

You will never be in any danger, but your failure to observe being tailed, imprudent internet postings or overheard unwisely spoken words can have lethal consequences for members of the democracy movement, all of the leadership being in Mae Sot. So remember you came there to help, but first, do no harm.

Some Thai is spoken there, a lot of Karen, and a lot of Burmese. People will speak English to you. Learn numbers in Karen so you can bargain at the market. And bargain gently. Eat rambutan--the best kept secret in delicious fruit unknown to Westerners. Try durian once. Make sure there are a lot of Asian people around watching so as not to deprive them of the huge belly laugh they will have at your expense. angel1.gif

I love Mae Sot, the biggest market for a small town I have ever seen. If you are tired of Asian Nescafe, Dave's restaurant in the heart of downtown has outstanding fresh brewed Hill Tribe coffee and cheese omelettes (something I have not seen since I left on my current travels in November). There is good internet and plenty of ATM's that work for Westerners. The cost of living there is less than half of what it is in Chiang Mai, and 1/4 of Bangkok.

Stay away from the border area after sundown-- it is maybe 8 kilometers west of town so you won't be there by accident. Bicycle is the best way to get around town.

Get your 60 day Thai visa in your home country before you leave, otherwise you only get 30 days if arriving by air and 15 if by land or boat.

(Hey Louise--you should nominate me for local expert for Mae Sot? I know what not to say.)
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Paul
post Jan 24 2010, 04:46 AM
Post #8

Navigator

Member No.: 98

Excellent advice - I'd recommend a good read of all of it.

Bai Fern was the place recommended to me - but it was full when we arrived. We easily found an alternative.

Aiya was another place we had dinner and hang around - great.
And I suspect, although I still can't remember for sure, the Casa Mia was another place we hung around.
Found all very good.

I would second that nomination for Mae Sot local expert
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st August 2014 - 10:18 PM
Top Hotel Destinations in Thailand

Ayutthaya Hotels
Bangkok Hotels
Cha-am Hotels
Chaweng Hotels
Chiang Mai Hotels
Chiang Rai Hotels
Chon Buri Hotels
Hat Yai Hotels
Hua Hin Hotels
Kanchanaburi Hotels
Kathu Hotels
Khao Lak Hotels
Khon Kaen Hotels
Ko Lanta Hotels
Ko Phangan Hotels
Ko Phi Phi Don Hotels
Ko Tao Hotels
Krabi Hotels
Lampang Hotels
Loei Hotels
Mae Hong Son Hotels
Nakorn Ratchasima Hotels
Nakorn Si Thammarat Hotels
Narathiwat Hotels
Nonthaburi Hotels
Pai Hotels
Patong Hotels
Pattaya Hotels
Phangnga Hotels
Phetchaburi Hotels
Phitsanulok Hotels
Rawai Hotels
Rayong Hotels
Songkhla Hotels
Sukhothai Hotels
Surat Thani Hotels
Tak Hotels
Trang Hotels
Trat Hotels
Udon Thani Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.