Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Advice For My Year Out In Oz!, Help Please!
mike_2511
post Jul 18 2007, 11:08 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 71681
Nominate me as a Local Expert

Hi guys.

Me and a mate are travelling to Australia for a working holiday in September, and I wanted some help...

What sort of work can we get when we get there? Is fruit picking started already in September, or are we best getting bar or restaraunt work first?

Apparently you need Alchohol and Food Hygiene certificates in you want to work in bars/kitchens. I know I can take these online, but what do they actually entail?

I would like to travel back through India - what are the options regarding this? Is it easy and cheap to get to India? What would I do about my return flight we have booked next July?

Help much appreciated flowers.png
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
ScottWoz
post Jul 18 2007, 10:56 PM
Post #2

Rolling Stone

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 124

Hi Mike, and welcome to the forums.. thumbsup.png

I'm here in Aussie at the moment and it looks like the 'picking' work is available most of the year. I'll get hold of some info and come back to you with more detail.

As for the RSA (Responsible Service of Alcohol) they take a day to complete and are around $80. I should be taking one pretty soon myself so I'll let you know of the ins and outs. I'll be in touch..

--------------------
Woz..

Living on a string of one-way tickets - currently kicking about in: southern Cambodia
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
rbisset
post Jul 19 2007, 03:26 AM
Post #3

Planet Pioneer

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 692

Picking work is available all year round, you just have to be in the right place at the right time. Take a look at the Harvest Trail to see whats available or ring 1800 062 332 if you are within Aus to find the nearest picking to your location.

Getting to India isn't that expensive. I was checking out flights from Sri Lanka to Perth the other day and they were about 230. There are numerous budget airlines serving Australia now but Tiger Airways fly from Darwin to Kochi or Chennai (Madras) via Singapore for around $AU300 inc Taxes.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
mike_2511
post Jul 19 2007, 09:10 AM
Post #4

Group: Members
Member No.: 71681
Nominate me as a Local Expert

Thanks a lot guys!

So is it really cheap to travel through India? And a realistic option to go back to Europe through India?

Thanks again, I'll check the Harvest Trail site out, and I look forward to hearing from Scott about the alchohol certificates and picking.

One more thing, we want to be in Sydney for New Year, do you reckon there'll be a lot of bar, hotel, restaraunt work around that time?
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st August 2014 - 01:41 PM
Top Hotel Destinations in Australia

Adelaide Hotels
Airlie Beach Hotels
Albany Hotels
Albury Hotels
Alice Springs Hotels
Apollo Bay Hotels
Ballarat Hotels
Bendigo Hotels
Brisbane Hotels
Broadbeach Hotels
Broome Hotels
Byron Bay Hotels
Cairns Hotels
Caloundra Hotels
Canberra Hotels
Coffs Harbour Hotels
Coolangatta Hotels
Darwin Hotels
Hervey Bay Hotels
Hobart Hotels
Launceston Hotels
Mackay Hotels
Main Beach Hotels
Margaret River Hotels
Maroochydore Hotels
Melbourne Hotels
Mooloolaba Hotels
Newcastle Hotels
Noosa Hotels
Palm Cove Hotels
Perth Hotels
Pokolbin Hotels
Port Douglas Hotels
Port Macquarie Hotels
Rockhampton Hotels
St Kilda Hotels
Surfers Paradise Hotels
Sydney Hotels
Toowoomba Hotels
Townsville Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.