Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Money Safe carriage, Cambodia money concerns
bliany
post Jul 4 2007, 12:00 PM
Post #1

Wanderer

Group: Members
Member No.: 65831

[b]Off to Cambodia soon was wandering how to split my money up for currency credit cards and cash. Is it safe to carry cash are there many ATMs canyou change Credit or debitcards
at banks is this easy. Any answers welcome
Bri
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
technotrekker
post Jul 4 2007, 03:32 PM
Post #2

Explorer

Member No.: 231

(As of a couple of years ago) there were at least half a dozen ATMs in PP, all dispensing $US (excellent - never encountered it before or since) which can then be changed for Cambodian Real for small purchases. Don't bother with credit cards/TCs, just stock up on cash before you enter and have debit cards for backup.

US is the main currency used there so take $1-200 with you (including some small notes) and then find a moto guy you like which will ensure getting cash on the ground is not a problem. Apparently there has been at least one ATM installed in Siem Reap as well since then so getting cash around Angkor should be possible too. Hopefully someone else can confirm this.

Enjoy Cambodia - it's a great place and Angkor was one of the top three major highlights of my travels.

cheers,
tt

--------------------
Overland from Sydney to Scotland - via a wintry Siberia! Photoblog here.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
rbisset
post Jul 4 2007, 04:44 PM
Post #3

Planet Pioneer

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 692

I used the ANZ ATM in Phnom Penh to get some $US and had no problems. I think it had been open for about a week when I used it as they were still building! I've heard there is one in Siem Reap now but I had no trouble getting some over the counter in a bank.

Just keep you cash in a hidden money belt and only a small amount in your wallet.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Paul
post Jul 4 2007, 07:53 PM
Post #4

Navigator

Member No.: 98

According to the new travel fish guide I just got for free :-) there is an ANZ ATM in Siem Reap.
WOW - US Dollars come out - I didn't know that. I am heading off there (Siem Reap, Cambodia) this afternoon with my wife and friend to show them Angkor Wat - YAY!
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
bliany
post Jul 5 2007, 11:17 AM
Post #5

Wanderer

[b]Thanks for the info will take it all on
Anyone know the best way to travell Cambodia
are th boats ok as i want to go to Battenburg
by boat
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
lisartw
post Jul 10 2007, 05:39 PM
Post #6

Wayfarer

Member No.: 3672

Was in Cambodia at the end of May and I can confirm that both Phnom Penh, which is just lovely, and Siem Reap both have several different cash machines to get money out. Don't worry, as long as you have money in an account, there are cash machines to get it out and lots of people wanting you to spend it smile.gif

I always felt safe carrying cash, as long as you don't flash too much about and make sure that you're sensible about keeping it in seperate places. I had the bulk of mine in a money belt, a small amount if a purse and a small amount i pockets. If I was going to buy something then I generally made sure I had the right amount, or as near to it, so I didn't get out a $20 or wads of cash.

We never used credit cards, apart from to book a flight with Bangkok airlines to get back to BKK, cash was the way forward.

Cambodia is lovely, there's a lot of poverty, but Phnom Penh is beautiful and the temples of Angkor are spectacular. I hope you enjoy it, I wish I was back there. biggrin.gif
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
peacefrog
post Jul 10 2007, 06:47 PM
Post #7

Pathfinder

Member No.: 581

QUOTE(lisartw @ Jul 11 2007, 12:39 AM) *

I can confirm that both Phnom Penh, which is just lovely, and Siem Reap both have several different cash machines to get money out.

I confirm too, were already spitting dollars a year ago. No worries.

QUOTE(bliany @ Jul 5 2007, 06:17 PM) *

[b]are th boats ok as i want to go to Battenburg by boat

Yep, a gringo must do, they pack 40 tourists on a 12-passenger boat, but the journey across the Tonle Sap lake and then up the River to Battambang is just fabulous. It's funny to see the manoeuvres of a lake boat on a sinuous river too, if you have the patience (not that you have a choice anyway)
Try to get yourself at the front of the boat, as they keep a clear area for maneuvering, and you can always just slip in there instead of being stuck like cattle.
Note that on a rainy day, I think that this boat trip could become one of the S*$#tiest of your travel memories...
Enjoy

btw I hate reading about places I am going to next, but if you search TP you'll find plenty entries, here is mine

In Battambang I struggled to find someone who would get up at 4 in the morning to give me a rental motorbike, but riding in the early morning in the small villages was one of my favourite times in Cambodia.

--------------------
A day back around the world

« Sans curiosité on meurt et sans courage on ne vit pas. »
[ Hugo Pratt ]
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
bliany
post Jul 11 2007, 12:56 PM
Post #8

Wanderer

QUOTE(lisartw @ Jul 10 2007, 05:39 PM) *

Was in Cambodia at the end of May and I can confirm that both Phnom Penh, which is just lovely, and Siem Reap both have several different cash machines to get money out. Don't worry, as long as you have money in an account, there are cash machines to get it out and lots of people wanting you to spend it smile.gif

I always felt safe carrying cash, as long as you don't flash too much about and make sure that you're sensible about keeping it in seperate places. I had the bulk of mine in a money belt, a small amount if a purse and a small amount i pockets. If I was going to buy something then I generally made sure I had the right amount, or as near to it, so I didn't get out a $20 or wads of cash.

We never used credit cards, apart from to book a flight with Bangkok airlines to get back to BKK, cash was the way forward.

Cambodia is lovely, there's a lot of poverty, but Phnom Penh is beautiful and the temples of Angkor are spectacular. I hope you enjoy it, I wish I was back there. biggrin.gif
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
bliany
post Jul 11 2007, 12:58 PM
Post #9

Wanderer

Thanks for all the replys this reassures me as i am travelling alone for the first time
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Paul
post Jul 11 2007, 08:19 PM
Post #10

Navigator

Member No.: 98

hug.gif You won't be alone. There are people in Cambodia.

:-)

Have fun - it seems to be a really nice place and I'd love to spend much more time travelling through there
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th September 2014 - 10:11 PM
Top Hotel Destinations in Cambodia

Banlung Hotels
Battambang Hotels
Kampong Cham Hotels
Kampong Chhnang Hotels
Kampot Hotels
Kep Hotels
Koh Dach Hotels
Koh Kong Hotels
Koh Rong Hotels
Koh Rong Samloem Hotels
Koh Rung Hotels
Koh Ta Kiev Hotels
Koh Tonsay Hotels
Kompong Thom Hotels
Kratie (Kracheh) Hotels
Pailin Hotels
Phnom Penh Hotels
Poipet Hotels
Pursat Hotels
Ratanakiri Hotels
Roluos Hotels
Sen Monorom Hotels
Siem Reap Hotels
Sihanoukville Hotels
Sisophon Hotels
Stung Treng Hotels
Takeo Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.