Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Train Passes in Tokyo...help!
biala
post Jun 24 2007, 11:01 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 58616
Nominate me as a Local Expert

My husband and I are spending three days in Tokyo and I have a question regarding the train passes:

Is it better to purchase a T-Card OR a 2-Day Metro Open Ticket AND a TOEI One-Day Pass (twice)?

Our hostel is in Asakusa on the TOEI line and we don't have a set itinerary of what we will be doing/seeing...basically, we will be all over the place. We plan to ask at the airport, but I thought maybe a travelpodder would know.

thanks! smile.gif
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
rbisset
post Jun 25 2007, 04:10 PM
Post #2

Planet Pioneer

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 692

When I was in Tokyo I stayed in Asakusa and just bought tickets when necessary. Most tickets cost 160-180yen for a single journey. I'm sure someone will know something about passes.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
biala
post Jul 1 2007, 05:10 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 58616

BTW - we just left Tokyo and ended up NOT getting the unlimited tickets. We just paid per train ride...ended up being cheaper because we walked a lot.

Kelly
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
mataeka
post May 15 2008, 07:06 PM
Post #4

Drifter

Member No.: 92543

When I was in tokyo for the first day we walked a lot so we got bought per train journey, but on the 2nd day there I bought a "free" pass I think it was called. It depends on whether you want to walk or use the trains more on what ends up being cheaper. having a rough idea of where you wanna go might help that too, for example if they're all places close together it may be easier to walk than you trains.

edit* forgot to menition - not EVERY train station sells the free tickets anyway.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
uktokyoite
post Jun 11 2008, 12:36 AM
Post #5

Expeditionist

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 196192

You can buy either a Pasmo or Suica card - the difference between them is that Suica is run by JR rail company and Pasmo is run by the Metro subway company.

The card costs 500 and you use it like a charge card. It is the same shape as a credit card and is hard plastic so you can keep it in your wallet or purse. You then charge the card with however much cash you want at one of the ticket machines - you can do this in English - just find the button to the top right and the screen will take you through the menu in English. If you get stuck go to the ticket office in the station.

I like these cards because once you've charged them there's no waiting at ticket machines - you just swipe the card at the ticket gates and it deducts the amount of your journey from your card. Easy : )

--------------------
Cheers and all the best,

Honor

My Webpage
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd August 2014 - 11:47 AM
Top Hotel Destinations in Japan

Atami Hotels
Beppu Hotels
Chino Hotels
Chiyoda Hotels
Chuo Hotels
Fukuoka Hotels
Hakodate Hotels
Hakone Hotels
Hakuba-mura Hotels
Hiroshima Hotels
Hokuto Hotels
Ito Hotels
Izu Hotels
Kanazawa Hotels
Kobe Hotels
Kumamoto Hotels
Kyoto Hotels
Matsumoto Hotels
Minamiuonuma Hotels
Minato Hotels
Myoko Hotels
Nagano Hotels
Nagasaki Hotels
Nagoya Hotels
Naha Hotels
Narita Hotels
Nasu-machi Hotels
Niigata Hotels
Nikko Hotels
Osaka Hotels
Sapporo Hotels
Sendai Hotels
Shimoda Hotels
Shinjuku Hotels
Taito Hotels
Takayama Hotels
Toba Hotels
Tokyo Hotels
Ueda Hotels
Yokohama Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.