Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

> Southern India Starter Kit, Everything you want to know about Southern India
sharon1306
post Jun 16 2007, 06:26 AM
Post #1

Wayfarer

Group: Members
Member No.: 986
Nominate me as a Local Expert

sorcerer.png Sharon Dias says:

Just want to quickly introduce myself to the forumÖ I live in Goa, India and I would be happy to answer any questions with regards to travel in India, especially the southern region. Please let me know if I can be of any help smile.gif

Below are some tips for a first time traveler to India:

Iím going to try to keep it as brief as I can, but let me start by saying India is a difficult country to travel in, more so if you are coming to visit for the first time. No matter how much you prepare, India is an assault on the senses. The sights, smells and sounds are overwhelming. Having said that, I am also fairly certain this will be one of your most memorable trips, one that will stay with you always. I guess tips, as such, would vary depending to the region, because India is extremely diverse in many ways. It is a country that has so many different kinds of people, religions, languages, cultures and even landscapes. But generally. I guess I would say:

1.Come with an open mind. You will find dirt, filth and probably more poverty than youíre used to. You have to deal with that and not let it get to you. The touts are sometimes aggressive and so are the beggars. It is best to ignore them. Lots of traffic, lots of people, lots of noise. But that is also what makes India fascinating. It will take you a few days before you learn to cope. In one day your experiences can range from extremely frustrating to extremely magicalÖ

2.The benefits of travel in India definitely outweigh the negatives. You will find India chaotic at the surface, but it really is organized chaos and it takes a while to get used to it. Getting the simplest things done might take more time and effort than youíre used to, but itís definitely worth it in the end. Be careful about what you eat or drink. Drink only bottled water, eat hot foods, avoid ice, desserts and salads and wash your hands. Its good to carry a hand sanitizer for when you don't have access to soap and water, insect repellent, water purification tablets and toilet paper.

3.Just go with the flow. Thereís a lot of craziness around but thatís what makes the country special. Make an effort to strike up conversations with people. Most people are very friendly and open and will be willing to help you in any way they can.

4.Be respectful of the culture and customs. Lots of religions are practiced in the country so some areas might be more sensitive than others. Take lots of picturesÖ It hard to take a bad picture in India, with all the faces, colours, scenes.

5.Donít think about it, just go. India is a very culturally rich country, which engages you with its fascinating art, history and the sheer numbers of everything. There arenít any Ďdangersí as such you should be aware of, just petty annoyances.

This is one trip you will find hard to put behind you, because when you experience India, it seeps into your pores and itís very difficult to just forget about it once you get back home. India is a challenging country to travel in, and you will be taxed mentally and probably physically, but it will also be one of your more memorable trips, if nothing moreÖ

Sharon
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
starlagurl
post Jan 14 2008, 10:57 AM
Post #2

Rolling Stone

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 103914

What do the other people in your group say?

--------------------
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
sharon1306   Southern India Starter Kit   Jun 16 2007, 06:26 AM
whereshegoes   Great to meet you Sharon! Thank you for volunt...   Jun 22 2007, 08:43 PM
sharon1306   I can understand why you would feel a little nervo...   Jun 23 2007, 07:12 AM
whereshegoes   Hi Sharon THank you so much for the quick respons...   Jun 26 2007, 12:08 AM
wakingdream   Whoa. It better be a damn good spa! :P I ch...   Jul 1 2007, 08:21 AM
sharon1306   Whoa. It better be a damn good spa! :P ...   Jul 2 2007, 06:20 AM
sharon1306   Hi Carmella, Sorry for the delay in response, I w...   Jul 2 2007, 06:15 AM
whereshegoes   Hi Sharon Thankyou! You know, just talking to...   Jul 2 2007, 07:36 AM
sharon1306   Hi Sharon Thankyou! You know, just talking t...   Jul 6 2007, 06:37 AM
whereshegoes   Hi Sharon, At the moment I am practicing Bikram (...   Jul 13 2007, 05:50 AM
sharon1306   Hi Sharon, At the moment I am practicing Bikram ...   Jul 18 2007, 08:01 AM
fourloves   Hi Sharon, Looks like you're the proud helper...   Sep 14 2007, 08:08 PM
sharon1306   Hi Mack, Just saw your post:) Been recovering fro...   Sep 19 2007, 07:49 AM
lauraexplorer   I have heard so many things about travelling Ind...   Oct 4 2007, 04:11 AM
roseyben   [quote name='whereshegoes' post='28933' date='Jun...   Oct 13 2007, 09:38 PM
lighthouse   :hyper: Greetings Sharon: I've been ask to com...   Oct 13 2007, 07:26 PM
lauraexplorer   [quote name='lauraexplorer' post='34375' date='Oc...   Oct 14 2007, 05:16 AM
effie123   Hi, My name is Becki, Iím 25 and from London. Ií...   Jan 10 2008, 03:18 PM
sharon1306   Hi, My name is Becki, Iím 25 and from London. I...   Jan 17 2008, 06:45 AM
effie123   Money. Depends on how much on a budget you are, I ...   Jan 17 2008, 07:55 AM
sharon1306   Hi, How much is your budget for accommodation per...   Jan 17 2008, 07:58 AM
effie123   Hi, How much is your budget for accommodation pe...   Feb 6 2008, 07:09 AM
cindib   I am hoping you'll give me some elementary ti...   Jan 13 2008, 04:34 PM
effie123   I am hoping you'll give me some elementary t...   Jan 16 2008, 04:54 PM
sharon1306   Hi Cindi, Great to hear you are headed to India. ...   Jan 17 2008, 06:59 AM
bloomer   Goa is a great place to get acclimated to India, i...   Jan 14 2008, 04:46 PM
bloomer   You can definitely find lodging in Delhi for 3 pou...   Feb 7 2008, 08:00 AM
tiag   Hello Sharon, I will be studying and the Universi...   Mar 21 2009, 12:37 PM
c.i.222   :sorcerer: Sharon Dias says: Just want to quick...   Feb 17 2010, 01:39 PM

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2014 - 07:15 AM
Top Hotel Destinations in India

Agra Hotels
Ahmedabad Hotels
Alappuzha Hotels
Amritsar Hotels
Bangalore Hotels
Bardez Hotels
Bhubaneswar Hotels
Calangute Hotels
Candolim Hotels
Chennai (Madras) Hotels
Darjeeling Hotels
Gangtok Hotels
Goa Hotels
Gurgaon Hotels
Haridwar Hotels
Hyderabad Hotels
Indore Hotels
Jaipur Hotels
Jaisalmer Hotels
Jodhpur Hotels
Kochi Hotels
Kodaikanal Hotels
Kolkata (Calcutta) Hotels
Kovalam Hotels
Manali Hotels
Mumbai (Bombay) Hotels
Munnar Hotels
Mussoorie Hotels
Mysore Hotels
Nainital Hotels
New Delhi Hotels
Ootacamund Hotels
Pondicherry Hotels
Pune Hotels
Salcette Hotels
Shimla Hotels
Srinagar Hotels
Thiruvananthapuram (Trivandrum) Hotels
Udaipur Hotels
Varanasi Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.