Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Canberra to Melbourne, Help!
lornak87
post Oct 21 2009, 10:39 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 330621
Nominate me as a Local Expert

Hi eveyone,

I'm working on a self-drive itinerary for January next year in Aus and have come across a blank spot! During our trip we are driving from Canberra to Melbourne and having done my research it looks like in one trip it'll take us about 8 hours to get from A to B.

Can anyone recommend a place to stop the night in between the 2 destinations which includes a bit of sight seeing?

I have looked at Albury - would this be an ideal place to take in?

Thanks in anticipation for your help.

L x unsure.gif
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
starlagurl
post Oct 21 2009, 12:25 PM
Post #2

Rolling Stone

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 103914

I don't know about you, but I'd want to go along the ocean via Bairnsdale and Orbost, similar to this blog:

http://www.travelpod.com/travel-blog-entri...78440/tpod.html

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
purplebuggy
post Oct 23 2009, 09:09 PM
Post #3

Tourist

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 282787

I've found a few sites that might help you -

* http://www.visitcanberra.com.au/en/Getting...20Canberra.aspx
In the same site under Itineries I found this route:
Navy route – Melbourne to Canberra (Coastal route, via Phillip Island)
The dramatic coastline between Melbourne and Canberra is one of Australia’s best kept secrets. It can take three days or two weeks depending on how much time you have. As well as enjoying the great natural beauty of the region, visitors can enjoy local cool climate wines, the freshest seafood and fine local produce from farmers’ markets or restaurants.
The map describes it as heading to Bateman's Bay then down the NSW and Vic East Coasts. Bateman's Bay is great fun, good beaches on the South Coast of NSW; Eden is a former-whaling town and has a good museum from what I hear and; Lakes Entrances is like a Victorian family holiday spot.
An alternative, depending on how much time you have is to go up on the red route then head down via Jervis Bay. The town of Jervis Bay is actually the ACT's coastline (every state and territory MUST have a coastline, and this is it for the ACT.) It is the most beautiful white sand (awesome swimming) you've ever seen surrounded by national park and little towns. You can go whale/ dolphin watching too.

* http://www.murrayriver.com.au/echuca/ - Echuca Tourism
* http://www.clubhyper.com/reference/hmasotwaybg_1.htm - Something random I've always enjoyed on the Canberra-Melbourne drive is the submarine HMAS OTWAY in Holbrook (and it's right near to a trucker stop too.)

And finally, as you get into country Victoria, a little closer to Melbourne, if you're looking for a 2nd stop, think about staying in a town affected by the Black Saturday bushfires (or, missed by fires but having tourism problems due to the trickle-down affect). I'd suggest Healsville which also has a wildlife Sanctuary and helped with injured animals in the fires.

--------------------
pb

Diary of a Ranger-To-Be
Another year in the bushveld of South Africa (Jan 11 - now)
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th August 2014 - 06:41 PM
Top Hotel Destinations in Australia

Adelaide Hotels
Airlie Beach Hotels
Albany Hotels
Albury Hotels
Alice Springs Hotels
Apollo Bay Hotels
Ballarat Hotels
Bendigo Hotels
Brisbane Hotels
Broadbeach Hotels
Broome Hotels
Byron Bay Hotels
Cairns Hotels
Caloundra Hotels
Canberra Hotels
Coffs Harbour Hotels
Coolangatta Hotels
Darwin Hotels
Hervey Bay Hotels
Hobart Hotels
Launceston Hotels
Mackay Hotels
Main Beach Hotels
Margaret River Hotels
Maroochydore Hotels
Melbourne Hotels
Mooloolaba Hotels
Newcastle Hotels
Noosa Hotels
Palm Cove Hotels
Perth Hotels
Pokolbin Hotels
Port Douglas Hotels
Port Macquarie Hotels
Rockhampton Hotels
St Kilda Hotels
Surfers Paradise Hotels
Sydney Hotels
Toowoomba Hotels
Townsville Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.