Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

> Teaching in Thailand
natalie.hood
post Oct 21 2009, 03:32 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 446691
Nominate me as a Local Expert

Hi all.
Am considering going to teach conversational english in Thailand next year and would like any advice from anyone doing this in Asia - particularly Thailand. If you have done this or know anyone who has and can offer me a little guidance I would really appreciate it. Also, if anyone has heard of Teach Travel Asia and can give me a little background I would be very grateful.
Thanks!
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 6)
ScottWoz
post Oct 21 2009, 10:04 AM
Post #2

Rolling Stone

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 124

Hi Natalie,

Welcome to the TP forums.. thumbsup.png Who's Teach Travel Asia?

--------------------
Woz..

Living on a string of one-way tickets - currently kicking about in: southern Cambodia
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
natalie.hood
post Oct 21 2009, 10:17 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 446691

QUOTE(ScottWoz @ Oct 21 2009, 10:04 AM) *

Hi Natalie,

Welcome to the TP forums.. thumbsup.png Who's Teach Travel Asia?

Hi Scott,
Thanks for the quick reply. Teach Travel Asia is a company that places people in Thailand (also Korea, China and Taiwan) to teach english. Its run/owned by a guy called Kevin Maldau and he is based in Thailand. I'm from South Africa and they work in conjunction with a SA based company who does all sorts of placements for young people wanting to travel and/or work overseas (I am taking a bit of a career break - am 25). I would just like to find out whether they are credible/reliable. I don't know anyone else who has done this and I obviously have a few reservations after all the horrific stories you hear in the news. Are you in Thailand? Do you know what routes I can go through to find out about the company?
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
robjstaples
post Oct 21 2009, 05:36 PM
Post #4

Voyager

Member No.: 589

Hi Natalie,

I don't know Thailand, but you're certainly right about checking the company out carefully. I've seen several operators like this in China and usually they don't organise people that good a deal. I'm not saying these guys are like that but sifting through the range of TEFL and TESOL website forums is well worth your while.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
ScottWoz
post Oct 21 2009, 10:32 PM
Post #5

Rolling Stone

Member No.: 124

Hi Natalie,

I tend to agree with Rob. I'd be careful too. You have to remember that these organisations are 'generally' in it for them not you. Why not try sifting through a few ESL teaching forums where you'll be able to seek and share first-hand experience. That should at least start you off on the right track.

Personally, I wouldn't use a company (and I don't) as I want my efforts to benefit the people directly. Simple formula.

Good luck anyway, and let us know how you get on..

--------------------
Woz..

Living on a string of one-way tickets - currently kicking about in: southern Cambodia
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
malgesig
post Nov 23 2010, 03:40 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 1495201

QUOTE(natalie.hood @ Oct 21 2009, 03:32 AM) *

Hi all.
Am considering going to teach conversational english in Thailand next year and would like any advice from anyone doing this in Asia - particularly Thailand. If you have done this or know anyone who has and can offer me a little guidance I would really appreciate it. Also, if anyone has heard of Teach Travel Asia and can give me a little background I would be very grateful.
Thanks!

OVC and Teach Travel Asia will be cost you alot of money. If you have a degree you will be fairly safe with them, if not, then be careful. On OVC's website they openly offer a non degree program and job guarantee for basically anyboby who is willing to pay. You will get accepted quite easily regardless your race, experience, or qualifications. They send people here to teach who can't even speak English properly and people who don't even have matric.

What they don't tell you is that

1) Racism is very real in Thailand, if you are not white then finding a job will be more difficult. Qualification does not matter but the image. In Thailand image and appearance plays a key role in getting a job as a teacher

2) You need a degree. No school will look at your CV if you don't have least a bachelors of some kind. It is possible to teach without one, but you still have to "lie" and say you have one, unless you have loads of teaching experience, otherwise you will find it difficult to get interviews etc. The agency that OVC and TTA will put you in contact with, will try to get you an "online degree" Do not trust that! Be careful.

3) The TEFL course that OVC recommend you do there at that agency is not recognized! It is a joke actually. It's one of those...

4) You will probably work "illegal" since you can't really get a work permit without a degree, but it is possible depending on you circumstances. You will probably work on a tourist visa, and will have to run around in & out the country and to immigration etc, every few months to extend it.

If you do enough research, and own a legitimate TEFL certificate you can do everything yourself.

-Do a TEFL course
-Do some research
-Make contact with some agencies there
-Get a Visa
-Buy a plain ticket
-Organize insurance/medical etc or whatever you need
-Schedule interviews
-Prepare CV and documents
-Buy a fancy suit
-Be creative, confident and positive

frantics.gif

User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
koonel
post Nov 24 2010, 09:15 AM
Post #7

Wayfarer

Member No.: 1111301

QUOTE(natalie.hood @ Oct 21 2009, 04:32 AM) *

Hi all.
Thanks!

Here are a few links to look over:
http://www.ajarn.com/
http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/forum/46-tea...thailand-forum/
http://teakdoor.com/teaching-in-thailand/

Good luck.

User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th July 2014 - 07:56 AM
Top Hotel Destinations in Thailand

Ayutthaya Hotels
Bangkok Hotels
Cha-am Hotels
Chaweng Hotels
Chiang Mai Hotels
Chiang Rai Hotels
Chon Buri Hotels
Hat Yai Hotels
Hua Hin Hotels
Kanchanaburi Hotels
Kathu Hotels
Khao Lak Hotels
Khon Kaen Hotels
Ko Lanta Hotels
Ko Phangan Hotels
Ko Phi Phi Don Hotels
Ko Tao Hotels
Krabi Hotels
Lampang Hotels
Loei Hotels
Mae Hong Son Hotels
Nakorn Ratchasima Hotels
Nakorn Si Thammarat Hotels
Narathiwat Hotels
Nonthaburi Hotels
Pai Hotels
Patong Hotels
Pattaya Hotels
Phangnga Hotels
Phetchaburi Hotels
Phitsanulok Hotels
Rawai Hotels
Rayong Hotels
Songkhla Hotels
Sukhothai Hotels
Surat Thani Hotels
Tak Hotels
Trang Hotels
Trat Hotels
Udon Thani Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.