Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Guangxi One-Child Policy Enforced
Paul
post Jun 1 2007, 07:58 AM
Post #21

Navigator

Group: Members
Member No.: 98
Nominate me as a Local Expert

Ha ha - great minds think alike????
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
wakingdream
post Jun 1 2007, 08:17 AM
Post #22

Rolling Stone

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 13336

It seems to be that way! yes.gif

--------------------
~Susie

'Yesterday's the past and tomorrow's the future. Today is a gift - which is why they call it the present.'
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
eddakath
post Jun 2 2007, 09:57 AM
Post #23

Voyager

From: From good ol' Oz! Currently living and teaching in Shaanxi Province China
Member No.: 277

Hey Hey its me again

I just got home from a birthday dinner during which the one child question was raised by the Aussie couple here in Shaowu. People had different answers but pretty much the same as I wrote last time.

There was one new answer that I had never heard and it was given by a policeman. It also seems that if two parents both come from a one child family the next generation can have two children.

...love the Monty Python remark before....

...you also have a big nose!

Beers N Noodles to ya...shane

--------------------
http://www.travelpod.com/members/eddakath

Grab a beer N click here
Who knows, maybe you'll stay awhile
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Paul
post Jun 3 2007, 08:49 AM
Post #24

Navigator

Member No.: 98

If he calls me Big nose again...
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
kfc1
post Jun 21 2007, 03:56 AM
Post #25

Member No.: 63417

hug.gif party.gif hyper.gif frantics.gif hi frantics.gif devil.png angel1.gif crazy.gif air_kiss.gif blink.gif dance.gif flowers.png
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
charlotte850505
post Nov 14 2008, 04:20 AM
Post #26

Explorer

Member No.: 251580

this policy is not just benefit for china but benefit for all the world,china have a lot of people that about 1/5 of the world ,more baby birth will lead more enviroment problems ,this policy is have to be carry on and have no other method.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
chinaguy
post Nov 18 2008, 05:22 AM
Post #27

Wanderer

Member No.: 255837

one-child policy for whole china , chinese government needto control the population increacing ,but some villege had two-child policy if people dad more childern thier give high tax for government .
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
bill747
post Feb 19 2010, 11:46 AM
Post #28

Member No.: 767231

I am interested in starting a sewing factory in this area ... do you have any advice for me.

Thanks
Bill
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
robjstaples
post Mar 13 2010, 06:06 PM
Post #29

Voyager

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 589

It's nice to see this topic being discussed in a level-headed kind of way on here. Before I came to China, I, like most people had heard of the one-child policy, but was curious about exactly how it worked. Something that's key to understanding the whole policy is that every Chinese has a registration to a nominal work unit called a 'hukou'. The rules may vary locally depending on where the hukou is. You get different answers about the rules for ethnic minorities, but some of the things I've learned corroborate what others have said already:

- you can have more than one child as long as you pay a fine for the later child. This is effectively a form of economic rationing as the fine equates to 6 months average salary in the hukou's location.
- any mother working in a government work unit, must resign when she becomes pregnant with a second child unless she aborts it.
- there are plans to relax the policy in some areas where poverty has become less of a concern.
- in rural areas, if the first child is a girl, parents can have a second child after 7 years;
- two single children in a marriage may have a second child, if it is approved by the family planning bureau.
- only a very small number of hospitals are licensed to start the paper chain that leads to creating a hukou for a new child. Each set of tests need to be paid for. A combination of illiteracy or poverty could easily lead to a pregnant woman technically breaking the law.

I have mixed feelings about the whole thing, but don't feel I have any right to judge. If I look at Chinese I know, most appreciate what the policy has achieved and bemoan the social problems of a generation of single children more than the rigid brutality inherent in the system. What has become a headache as the population becomes mobile is the inconvenience of doing the administration and having to deal with officials who are in a position to abuse their position if they choose to - it doesn't mean they do, but...

The policy has not changed per se, but it's application has, although I've never read anything in the Western media to that end. If there's a travel lesson in all this, it's a reminder of how lazy, one-eyed and sensationalist the media can be anywhere in the world.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th August 2014 - 07:41 AM
Top Hotel Destinations in China

Beijing Hotels
Changchun Hotels
Changsha Hotels
Chengdu Hotels
Chongqing Hotels
Dalian Hotels
Dongguan Hotels
Foshan Hotels
Fuzhou Hotels
Guangzhou Hotels
Guilin Hotels
Haikou Hotels
Hangzhou Hotels
Harbin Hotels
Hefei Hotels
Hong Kong Hotels
Jinan Hotels
Kunming Hotels
Lanzhou Hotels
Lijiang Hotels
Nanchang Hotels
Nanjing Hotels
Nanning Hotels
Ningbo Hotels
Qingdao Hotels
Sanya Hotels
Shanghai Hotels
Shenyang Hotels
Shenzhen Hotels
Suzhou Hotels
Taiyuan Hotels
Tianjin Hotels
Urumqi Hotels
Wenzhou Hotels
Wuhan Hotels
Wuxi Hotels
Xi'an Hotels
Xiamen Hotels
Zhengzhou Hotels
Zhuhai Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.