Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

> Guangxi One-Child Policy Enforced
wakingdream
post May 29 2007, 09:09 AM
Post #1

Rolling Stone

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 13336

I've heard about the one-child policy in China, but don't know much about it or where the policy is enforced and where it isn't. Not sure if it's a few places in China or many?

I just read a news article about the one-child policy being (brutally) enforced in Guangxi province. Towns and villages were raided and dozens of women were forced to have abortions. If that isn't enough, the sledgehammer-carrying army confiscated livestock, stole money and trashed locals homes.

This is tough for me to absorb, especially as a woman. I know that human rights violations are not uncommon in China. Can anyway give a bit of history behind the one-child policy?

Here's the article.

Thoughts guys?

--------------------
~Susie

'Yesterday's the past and tomorrow's the future. Today is a gift - which is why they call it the present.'
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
Paul
post May 29 2007, 09:40 AM
Post #2

Navigator

Group: Members
Member No.: 98
Nominate me as a Local Expert

China's population is huge and on the surface the one child policy seemed a sensible way of slowing down what was a huge population growth rate. In the past kids were to some extent a parent's security in old age, and so the more the better. China couldn't have continued to feed and educate and take care of its population if each couple kept having 2 or 3 or more kids. So 1 child policy makes some sense.

But in reality we often hear reports that it is ethnic minority groups that are forced to abide by the rules. Perhaps it is Tibetans being forced to have abortions (despite their strong Buddhist belief in no killing a living creature) or ... The rich in China now seem to be able to get around the rules and funnily enough the rich are generally the Han Chinese and the supporters of the regime.

Thoughts - not too many - if I think too much about it I will be very sad. China has got some massive issues it needs to deal with. Much of them relate to the extreme greed the Chinese seem to have and the others seem to relate to the inbred belief that the Han Chinese are racially superior and that all races that originated in what is now China are "Chinese" and to be controlled by the Han.

Shame as China also has a huge amount to offer.

Perhaps I am wrong or have mis-read China to some extent. I hope so. But that is the feeling I get.
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
wakingdream   Guangxi One-Child Policy Enforced   May 29 2007, 09:09 AM
rbisset   It's not Tibetans in this case but a town in G...   May 29 2007, 10:09 AM
wakingdream   This topic is a sad one. What would alternatives b...   May 29 2007, 10:17 AM
Paul   Hmmm, it is an interesting problem. Really there ...   May 29 2007, 10:32 AM
Paul   Just looking up info on Guangxi province. Hmmm, i...   May 29 2007, 10:44 AM
eddakath   G'Day Mate, I only know a little about the on...   May 29 2007, 11:12 AM
wakingdream   Thanks Shane. Yup, it does make things a little ...   May 29 2007, 12:22 PM
chinaguy   one-child policy for whole china , chinese governm...   Nov 18 2008, 05:22 AM
Paul   Excellent - thanks for that answer - nice to have ...   May 29 2007, 09:23 PM
eddakath   Glad I could help in some way. From reading it ha...   May 30 2007, 01:36 AM
wakingdream   Me too Paul, I would love to explore China. Of...   May 30 2007, 07:32 AM
Paul   I am not the messiah - I am just a very naughty bo...   May 30 2007, 07:43 AM
rbisset   It'll be interesting to hear your views on Xin...   May 30 2007, 08:39 AM
Paul   Rbisset - Tell us more. I have no opinion on the ...   May 30 2007, 09:00 AM
wakingdream   Rich, please do tell us more....I don't know...   May 30 2007, 09:15 AM
rbisset   I'll try and dig up the mp3 later and post a l...   May 30 2007, 10:38 AM
rbisset   MP3 Linky (14.7mb) Here's the link. It's...   May 30 2007, 02:07 PM
mizliz   I don't know the naughty part Paul, but you ...   May 30 2007, 11:15 PM
Paul   Mizliz - thanks. Hmmm, don't know what else t...   Jun 1 2007, 05:33 AM
wakingdream   That's funny. My husband and I were talking ...   Jun 1 2007, 07:40 AM
Paul   Ha ha - great minds think alike????   Jun 1 2007, 07:58 AM
wakingdream   It seems to be that way! :yes:   Jun 1 2007, 08:17 AM
eddakath   Hey Hey its me again I just got home from a birth...   Jun 2 2007, 09:57 AM
Paul   If he calls me Big nose again...   Jun 3 2007, 08:49 AM
kfc1   :hug: :party: :hyper: :frantics: hi :frantics: ...   Jun 21 2007, 03:56 AM
charlotte850505   this policy is not just benefit for china but bene...   Nov 14 2008, 04:20 AM
bill747   I am interested in starting a sewing factory in th...   Feb 19 2010, 11:46 AM

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2014 - 11:12 PM
Top Hotel Destinations in China

Beijing Hotels
Changchun Hotels
Changsha Hotels
Chengdu Hotels
Chongqing Hotels
Dalian Hotels
Dongguan Hotels
Foshan Hotels
Fuzhou Hotels
Guangzhou Hotels
Guilin Hotels
Haikou Hotels
Hangzhou Hotels
Harbin Hotels
Hefei Hotels
Hong Kong Hotels
Jinan Hotels
Kunming Hotels
Lanzhou Hotels
Lijiang Hotels
Nanchang Hotels
Nanjing Hotels
Nanning Hotels
Ningbo Hotels
Qingdao Hotels
Sanya Hotels
Shanghai Hotels
Shenyang Hotels
Shenzhen Hotels
Suzhou Hotels
Taiyuan Hotels
Tianjin Hotels
Urumqi Hotels
Wenzhou Hotels
Wuhan Hotels
Wuxi Hotels
Xi'an Hotels
Xiamen Hotels
Zhengzhou Hotels
Zhuhai Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.